New category : Space invader Sign

Hello,

I have an Idea to create a new category about signs we can find alla over the world, you did not see them !! Be sure they saw you :ph34r:

I write here my description draft :

Description:

This category describes a particular street art, vessels Space Invader game that is found in different forms on the walls of our cities.

Expanded Description:

Space invader is a world-famous arcade game (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Invaders)

This street art was designed by a French urban artist known as Invader who, in her travels around the world, sowing his small vessels recognizable among all he defined as the Invasion.

You will find on the French Wikipedia page of this artist (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invader_(artiste)) and his world to go further on his creations, his personal website (http://www.space-invaders.com/) with the highlight being the World invasion page.

But now the master has followers who spread the invasion ...

Instructions for Posting a Space invader art Waymark:

The space invader must be visible from a public place and having a recognizable form.

The characteristics of a space invader are:

- The colors

- The number of vessels;

- The material used to create it;

- Its quality level

- Address

TITLE REQUIREMENT

Space invader - Number - City - Country

PICTURES

Required: Two photos, taken by you, the first with or space invader and the second with the name of the place (street, park, etc.) where the realization is.

All pictures to better locate the ship is welcome.

LONG DESCRIPTION

Specify if the enemy has spotted you.

Have you warned David Vincent?

Put the coordinates of the easiest place to see the realization.

Add practical information.

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

To visit a Waymark listed in this category, please add to your log a picture taken by you.

I create group to manage this category : Alien

Here some examples of vessels :

bordeaux.jpg

nantes1.jpg

nantes2.jpg

nantes3.jpg

I look forward for your suggestions or advises.

Alfouine

I have seen a lot of those and they have all gone away within a couple of months. It is not a good idea to waymark temporary objects.

It's completely wrong they are not temporary objects, the 4 pictures i have post i took them last month and space invaders in those pictures were not created this year !!!!

May be it's not a good idea for you and may be once you saw one disappear but please do not make any wrong conclusion

Alfouine

I have seen a lot of those and they have all gone away within a couple of months. It is not a good idea to waymark temporary objects.

It's completely wrong they are not temporary objects, the 4 pictures i have post i took them last month and space invaders in those pictures were not created this year !!!!

May be it's not a good idea for you and may be once you saw one disappear but please do not make any wrong conclusion

Alfouine

Not quite... I think my statement that it is not a good idea to waymark temporary objects can be seen as a fact. If you have valid arguments against it, then I would be interested to read them.

The question is, if these space invaders are temporary objects or not? You have to convince me on that point. It's not one, that I have seen disappear, it is quite a number (well, I have not seen disappearing any, they were just not there anymore the next time I passed by, you know what I mean... :anibad: ). It is street art after all, so I suppose the artist usually has not an explicit permission for his work. So who will protect it from the property owners with maybe little appreciation of art?

OK you wrote you saw few vessels and they disappeared (may be they were real and like E.T. they went back home :anitongue:) and i saw a lot and they still exist, so we can consider permanency around 50% may be 60 % as i am a great great fan of this art and get a sixth sense to detect them.

In Paris we have this geocache https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCGW89_paris-urban-invasion which was pubished 09/10/2003, thirteen years ago with 2919 found it and as you need to post a picture to log the cache, you have 4165 pictures :yikes: of space invader art.

You can compare pictures of 2003 (Yes i even read 2003 logs) and 2016 to see that creations ares still there.

So permanency raise up to 90%

Here 2003 pictures both are still there (you can compare with pictures of the cache or go to streetview)

Paris1.jpg

Paris2.jpg

But 100% permanency guarantee does not exist, it's relative.

Any outdoor sculpture can be destroyed, moved, graffiti, mosaics or murals category do not give any guarantee of permanency, its normal with street art. Can we say "Street art" has no chance to have categories in Waymark :sad:

You can consider that "Pizza hut" is strictly permanent, but no :angry: last month in Tours they destroyed a pizza hut restaurant and the waymark should be archived.

Another case, a "Ghost bike" in Nantes disappear because the building was erased.

Imagine, "McDonalds" buy all "King burger" restaurants, no more waymarks and no more category.

OK so may be a permanency of 97% is credible.

Now i have to raise from 90% to 97%

We can make an agreement, when you can touch a space invader creation, i agree anyone can destroy it and there is no permanency guarantee.

So we could decide a requirement for this category, if the waymark is unreachable (like a T5 in geocaching) we can approve it and if it's reachable we decline.

And i think an inreachable space invader art has no chance to disappear, no more chance than a lot of existing waymarks.

As i am not fluent in english, i hope it's understandable.

Alfouine

Normally discussing an idea here in the forum is the first step in creating a new category, and I don't see your idea getting any support.

So far you are only two against, and only one with real argument, it sunday, nice weather in europe B) , people are outside Waymarking or geocaching, things can change....

This same idea was put before peer review a few years ago and failed in peer review.

I did'nt know, but that means category still missing :laughing:

It is missing because the Waymarking community did not want the category for reasons already mentioned in this thread and others. You mention this as a worldwide thing but as far as I can tell it is mostly a Paris/France thing with very few outside of France. (A few others around the world but not enough to generate interest)

Edited by BruceS

I mentionned Paris only to argue that is a permanent street art and I had a geocache to prove it.

But in my first description i mentionned a website to prove the world dimension of this art and the link is World invasion

And here is the printscreen for those who does not have internet :laughing:

World.jpg

In the other link Invader at the end of the page you have a list of all cities where you can find space invader art

En Europe

Amsterdam

Anvers

Barcelone

Berlin

Berne

Bilbao

Bonn

Bruxelles19

Ciutadella

Cologne

Fribourg

Genève

Nyon (Suisse)

Gland (Suisse)

Istanbul

Lausanne

Ljubljana

Londres

Manchester

Monaco

Newcastle

Rotterdam

Rome

Vienne

Dans le reste du monde

Bangkok

Dacca

Hong Kong

Katmandou

Los Angeles

Melbourne

Miami

Mombasa

New York

Perth

Tokyo

Vârânasî

São Paulo

This art is present in all continents and invader is not the only creato of this street art

... so we can consider permanency around 50% may be 60 % as i am a great great fan of this art and get a sixth sense to detect them.

So permanency raise up to 90%

Now i have to raise from 90% to 97%

Why 50%, 60%, 90%? Do I have any reason to believe these numbers?

Not at all. My personal experience is different.

The permanence problem was just my first thought. Even if you can prove me wrong, there are the four official criteria for Peer Review and you have to convince the majority of the voters, not me. This is going to be very difficult. It is not an exception, when a category proposal is denied. It is the standard case. When you don't receive a fairly enthusiastic feedback here in the forum, then your chances are not good. This is not your fault. You have not done anything wrong. Just be prepared to fail, when you move on.

As i am not fluent in english, i hope it's understandable.

C'est sûr que votre anglais est bien meilleur que mon français.

But in my first description i mentionned a website to prove the world dimension of this art and the link is World invasion

I am well aware of that website and that is what I based my comment on. There are a total 5 cities that have one in the western hemisphere. Australia has two cities that have one each. Even in Europe the predominance is in France with a few individual ones scattered around but not in any significant number.

Invader is not the only creator but others do not have any website to show our creations and valid my arguments.

I understand that is not enough for you but like 90% of category they are not present in all countries it will be difficult to find a roman church in australia or in USA. There is a lot of categories without any waymark in France.

This new category has a lot of potential waymark in Europe, and USA and less in Africa and Oceania, but it would be possible and that's the main thing.

Do you think the last category approved : Battery Powered Personal Transport Rentals has a will have a lot of waymark in Africa ?

Do you think the last category approved : Battery Powered Personal Transport Rentals has a will have a lot of waymark in Africa ?

We don't get a lot of Waymarks of any kind in Africa as not many Waymarkers visit there, however I would expect I could rent one in Egypt, Kenya and I know for sure I could several places in South Africa and I am sure that there are other locations as well. Thus the potential number in Africa is higher than you may think.

You make the same mistake that everyone makes as a beginner. They all have a look at the existing categories and compare them with their own idea. The conclusion is always the same: there are a lot of less interesting categories, sometimes with poor descriptions, so my idea will be very much welcome.

This is wrong. You cannot compare with other categories without knowing their history. In the beginning, it was very easy to create a category. Peer Review came later. Even later people started to realize that some categories were not such a good idea. But the old categories all stayed alive and show how little awareness of quality and potential problems there was in the beginning.

So it changed, and the community has become more critical, you could say: overcritical.

All the categories you have mentioned above in this thread would fail in peer review if they were new today. Your idea is better, much better, but maybe still not good enough for the current standards. Nine years ago, it would have been easy.

Perhaps not a huge number of PT rentals in Africa, however I found at least six. Gee, there is only one Space invader sign in Africa.

At least there are more than 65 cities worldwide that offer PT rentals, don't you think?

How many Space invader Sign/s are in Canada? On the map you provided = ZERO

BTW: Canada is the second largest country in the world by area.

"And here is the printscreen for those who does not have internet"... That is an interesting concept, No internet! :huh:

Edited by BK-Hunters

We don't get a lot of Waymarks of any kind in Africa as not many Waymarkers visit there, however I would expect I could rent one in Egypt, Kenya and I know for sure I could several places in South Africa and I am sure that there are other locations as well. Thus the potential number in Africa is higher than you may think.

I agree with you i't's just a question of potential and my suggestion has a great potential.

Why don't you just go ahead and create the category and send it to peer review? :)

Do you think if i do this stupid thing life would be tougher !!

You make the same mistake that everyone makes as a beginner. They all have a look at the existing categories and compare them with their own idea. The conclusion is always the same: there are a lot of less interesting categories, sometimes with poor descriptions, so my idea will be very much welcome.

You only forgot i mentionned a category just approved "Battery Powered Personal Transport Rentals", where there is not a lot of spot because it's a new way of locomotion, but you imagine the potential is there, but as it's an occidental product linked to our occidental way of living and our infrastructures i am not sure we will see a lot of these waymarks all around the world. For my category, there's not a lot everywhere but they already exist.

Your idea is better, much better, but maybe still not good enough for the current standards.

First positive point, champagne !!

"And here is the printscreen for those who does not have internet"... That is an interesting concept, No internet! :huh:

It was a joke, it's only to be sure that you've read my post reply.

How many Space invader Sign/s are in Canada? On the map you provided = ZERO

BTW: Canada is the second largest country in the world by area.

I repeat, the website of Invader is just an example, is not up to date and there are a lot of space invader art creations in the world, just a quick search in Internet to find this article and to prove the existence in Canada Link article

And for the pleasure and another link Space invader art

If they are all Mosaics, why not put your invaders in that category? The "rules" of Waymarking are that your proposed waymark is welcome to be waymarked in any category it will fit into according to criteria of the category and the specifics of the waymark.

Some single places or things can fit into multiple categories, and this is part of the game.

It is also part of the game that if a class of proposed waymarks can fit wholly into an existing category, then a new category would not be created.

So waymark those space invaders mosaics in Mosaics, and Extraterrestrial Locations (if appropriate) and News Article Locations (if appropriate) and any other categories that might apply :)

Please do not get hung up on "I want my own category for [thing]" because I do not think your category has much chance: (1) there are not enough of them and (2) they fit completely in an existing category, even if they are interesting and VERY FUN! Plus, with one per continent outside of Europe, I don't think they can be considered truly global, in addition to not being prevalent enough for a good category.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

For the Amish Waymarkers amongst us, of course. :)

BTW: As far as I'm concerned I would not vote for this new category, nor would I vote against it. In fact, quite a lot of the latest categories simply didn't interest me. Have I voted No for others? I have. But I always try to be magnanimous. If the category isn't interesting to me but it seems like it would be a widely accepted category, I won't vote against it. I'm also not hyper against categories that are more concentrated in one part of the world versus others. Why exclude some folks from having fun with an interesting category just because I cannot (or am not interested, whichever case applies).

Edited by MountainWoods

When Alfouine asked me for being one of the officers in his Aliens' group devoted to the submission of this new category "Space invader", I first did some research on the subject :

If 3 295 "officials" invaders in 65 cities and 38 countries (24 in Europe and 13 outside Europe) seemed to me an already significant amount compare to… [oops… thank's very much fi67 to precise that a lot of categories wouldn't have pass the Peer Review nowadays ;-) ]… so is a significant amount, full stop. :)

But to these "officials" invaders must be added all those that were created by other fans who are not referenced on the artist's website.

For example, in my city, I found 4 "unofficials" invaders that are still in place since 2009 (two of them could be seen on Google Street View). I photographed them yesterday and one in the railway station is not in ceramic so it couldn't enter the mosaic category. ;)

Space Invader 1

Space Invader 2

Space Invader 3

Space Invader 4a

Space Invader 4b

I do understand the legitimate reluctance of waymarkers who feel that their country seems to own too few potential waymarks in this category. But could it be the principal reason to vote "Nay" when others countries have many?..

Personally, except for commercials chains, I never voted "Nay" against categories that was unfindable in my country, which is still the case of 20% of the 50 last published ones.

No one is able to estimate with certainty the potential number of waymarks that could be posted in one particular nascent category. Only 29% categories have more than 500 Waymarks and 21% have less than 100. Who could have predicted that?..

We can see that Invader is still active because he placed 12 new works in London just 4 days ago... This brings to 150 the number of invaders in the British capital (http://www.space-invaders.com/post/london18/).

Believe me, when you'll find your next space invader at a street corner, you will smile! :D

[I was just finishing my message when MountainWoods posted his, so it's just coincidence if there are some similarities in our words with the difference that I'll vote "Yeah" for this category. :lol: ]

Edited by Chickilim

Please do not get hung up on "I want my own category for [thing]"

Come on please do not reduce my idea, determination and all my arguments to this sentence, it's really withering :tired:

Plus, with one per continent outside of Europe

How can you write this while i gave to you a website with details and numbers !!

So in the website of invader :

USA 465

Mexico 3

Brasil 52

Africa 20 in 3 countries

Australia 51

Asia 359 in 7 countries

And its only Invader creation and his website is not up to date, for example in Germany in his website there is only Cologne, Frankfurt and Berlin but if you google search you find this Munic space invader

And for example Chickilim found few of them in Tours, even one wich is not a mosaic :yikes: and Tours is not in the map.

If they are all Mosaics

No, no, no there are not all mosaics, most of them are but not all, you do not believe me, ok i have made a lot of searches and look at my finds...

Nice paintings space invader art : Container, Boxes, Indian wall, Letterbox, Prague

But also sculptures in Culver city USA (picture below) and website

sculpture.jpg

You also have a stick here Belgium

And i keep the best for the end a moss mural space invader (picture below) and website

mossmural.jpg

This is more than a waymark category, this is a huge theme of creations, there is tons of differents objects with space invaders, do you believe me if i say i saw a crop circle space invader ? No look below

cropcircle.jpg

I gave to you links of expositions of this art, you can also find space invader underwater in Mexico and a fan blog in Hungaria

And in the future may be you will live in this kind of houses and you could say "Hey guys may be Alfouine was right" :laughing: " Space invader Houses

future.jpg

Why 50%, 60%, 90%? Do I have any reason to believe these numbers?

Of course not, it was just to support my argument with humor and determination.

But i hoped the argument of reachable or not could change you mind :sad:

How about these percentages:

There are currently 36 posts on this thread

33% are posted by Alfouine Most of which are putting out fires.

51% are negative

16% are positive

Of the 16%

95% are from France

75% are also officers

Even if you add Alfourine (33%) and the other 16% less than half are positive responses.

Of course this is to "support my argument with humor and determination."

Of course this is to "support my argument with humor and determination."

Ok BK-Hunters i made a mistake taking your category for example.

I have nothing against your category

But as you can read and see, discussions evolve, we reply to all negative points with arguments and exemples and so far not a lot of people gave our opinion about my suggestion and as you can read some of them have changed their mind and some of them do not reply anymore.

And sorry again if i hurt you

It is difficult to not take it personal. Many of us here have been rejected by the Waymarking community over a potential category for which we were passionate. I don't know where the rejection feels greater: here in the forums or once the more public peer review begins.

It is difficult to not take it personal. Many of us here have been rejected by the Waymarking community over a potential category for which we were passionate. I don't know where the rejection feels greater: here in the forums or once the more public peer review begins.

I understand but the category of BK-Hunters has been approved.

The forum is the best thing to develop our idea, but unfortunately there is not a lot of public.

Now I wish I had a trip to Europe in the plans. You are inspiring me to devote a day to post waymarks for these aliens, big and small, in any acceptable Waymarking category.

Is it too difficult to recognize that art (space invader) deserves his own category only because it respects all the rules ?

And when you see all examples we gave Chickilim and I most of them are outside Europe, and now if you pay attention you could find some near your home.

One issue I have is the longevity. If it's only one artist, then could this turn into another Toynebee or Yellow Arrow? If anyone can make one, then what's stopping someone from making a paper one, sticking it in a window and Waymarking it?

When you go into houses shaped like invaders, then I feel like it will turn into a headache and into something subjective to the category owners.

I would suggest that you maybe turn them into a photo goal waymark, like "Shoot an Invader" or something like that.

One issue I have is the longevity. If it's only one artist, then could this turn into another Toynebee or Yellow Arrow? If anyone can make one, then what's stopping someone from making a paper one, sticking it in a window and Waymarking it?

Oh yes -- I had forgotten about these 2 art/culture categories where the waymarked art thing is disappearing. Good point! I have found 2 yellow arrow waymarks, and last time I checked the one in Fort Worth, it is is gone now. The Dallas yellow arrow has been gone for many years.

I would suggest that you maybe turn them into a photo goal waymark, like "Shoot an Invader" or something like that.

Good suggestion! But I think it will fall on deaf ears unless the category is denied in peer review. I will watch this discussion, but I am not sold on this category's viability yet. I am keeping an open mind.

One issue I have is the longevity. If it's only one artist, then could this turn into another Toynebee or Yellow Arrow?

There is not only one artist but we focus on Invader because he had a website and only with his creations we fill rules Global and Prevalence.

But we gave a lot of examples all over the world which are anonymous creators.

And even if Invader disappear, kidnap by aliens for example, he left 3 295 "officials" invaders in 65 cities and 38 countries and a lot unofficials.

Space invaders game started in 1978 and 40 years after there is a large community enjoying this theme.

If anyone can make one, then what's stopping someone from making a paper one, sticking it in a window and Waymarking it?

As it's usual in a category, requirements are made to give rules for create waymarks, temporary waymark should be declined.

But the main question is Can we trust the anonymous frenchy proposing this category and is he able to manage it ?

OK Im am 50 years old, not a young crazy dog as we say in french, playing waymark for exactly one year, and playing Geocaching for 7 years, I chose officers with more experiences than me and I am able to manage a category as well as my businesses with the help of my officers.

Elyob (Boyle ?) said with all examples you gave all categories exist, it's not completely true, Moss mural won't fit with the Murals requirements, but the hard part of my argument is to convice you that is a real whole and complete art (completeness "Google translate" is the right word).

There is a lot of merchandising with this art, exhibitions, expositions, nigth shows, fan blogs, huge creations in ice, sands, crop circle, a lot of newspapers articles and of course all potentials and permanents waymarks. That deserves a category.

Perhaps this goes without saying, but my earlier diatribe about being magnanimous is still filtered through the interest (wow) factor. Even if something is so prevalent that one could trip over it, if it isn't interesting (admittedly subjective as that is), I'm not only going to abstain from voting, but I'll probably vote no. No more chain restaurant categories. Wow over magnanimity. <_<

In this case, I don't really care that these aren't as prevalent as I'd like. I'll probably never actually Waymark one or even visit one. But they look interesting enough to me. They seem to have a wow factor, and "enough" prevalence that I'd either abstain or vote for them. Depends on how well the requirements are written. (Like someone said, no paper or temporary materials. That kind of thing.)

So at this point, I am a bit divided. If the requirements can assure permanence, and somehow also avoid silly things -- like constructs that kinda-sorta look like a space invader, but wasn't intended to be -- then I'm good with it.

This one was spotted in my city in 2013. If it is still there, I hope to post it in an existing category next week.

http://apt613.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/SpaceInvadersClose-Up.jpg

I should have just used Google maps before I went alien hunting. The art and the coffee shop are no longer there.

Hopefully Alfouine is a great alien hunter and i found your alien, is waiting for you at Gilmour (and not Gladstone) Bank corner.

ottawa.jpg

ottawa2.jpg

And I found two others :

Bank street

tansit tunnel University

Ok now to resume, does this new idea of category respect Category rules ?

Global - The directory has the potential for worldwide appeal, but only if the categories are not too restricted by region. Consider whether people from all over the world will be able to contribute to this category. We can afford to be somewhat flexible with the application of this guideline for truly outstanding categories.

OK 65 cities and 38 countries for officials invaders, but as we see with Chickilim in our searches there is a lot of unofficials creations in more countries.

For examples we found space invaders in Canada, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa and none officials.

Prevalence - How many potential waymarks exist throughout the world? Too few and the category may be of little or no interest to anyone. Too many and you may end up with a category full of mundane, everyday locations.

OK 3 295 "officials" invaders and so many unofficials.

Interesting or Informative - In general, good categories can be classified in one of two ways. Interesting: Can you imagine yourself sifting through the gallery for compelling and entertaining images, or making a special trip to visit a waymark in this category? Informative: On the flipside, you may not exclaim "Wow!", but perhaps you or someone else might find the waymarks in this category useful in some way. These waymarks can aid in accomplishing an everyday task more efficiently, or serve to gather enlightening information about a commercial location which may or may not be available from traditional sources.

OK For those who read all the posts of this discussion, i am sure you have learnt a lot of things, exactly what you like in Geocaching and Waymarking, and this is an amazing art with the wow factor (dixit Mountainwoods)

Redundant - Could this category be included as a variable in an existing category? For instance, let's say this new category is called "Blue Lighthouses". But, wait! There may already be a "Lighthouses category". Would it make more sense to add a variable for different colors in the "Lighthouses" details?

OK This category could not be included in an existing category, a lot of creations could be included in a lot of existing categories but not all. This is a real and complete art which can be developped in multiple forms as you could see in all examples we gave.

Requirement : All waymarks should be permanents otherwise they would be declined.

Rules are written to define objective points versus subjective point of vue.

Hopefully Alfouine is a great alien hunter and i found your alien, is waiting for you at Gilmour (and not Gladstone) Bank corner.

ottawa.jpg

ottawa2.jpg

And I found two others :

Bank street

tansit tunnel University

Good job. The alien that landed along Gilmour is still there. Considering the change of weather and the fact that everyone is now outdoors to enjoy their coffee etc, photography will be a challenge. This is a good problem to have.

As for the alien that landed in the transit tunnel at the university, if the alien was in the tunnel itself, it is now missing. If the alien was in the transit station proper, it will be gone before 2018 when the station is demolished.

Good job. The alien that landed along Gilmour is still there. Considering the change of weather and the fact that everyone is now outdoors to enjoy their coffee etc, photography will be a challenge. This is a good problem to have.

Good job too, Was it an interesting experience to look for alien ?

As for the alien that landed in the transit tunnel at the university, if the alien was in the tunnel itself, it is now missing. If the alien was in the transit station proper, it will be gone before 2018 when the station is demolished.

Unfortunately i can't help you more with streetview, i have to planned to go to Ottawa.