Scotland - Landowner Permissions

Hi, I am totally new to Geocaching and wondered if anyone has advice re landowners permissions in Scotland? Obviously I know if e.g. you wanted to put a cache in someone's garden you'd need their permission but what about public areas in and around towns and villages? Or in the countryside when it's not fenced off? Is it OK to work on the assumption that if you can walk freely somewhere then you can freely place a cache in the area?

Really sorry if this is a silly question - as I said total newbie

The UK Geocaching Policies Wiki has a lot of information about placing geocaches. It includes details of those areas where you must get permission, examples being National Trust land, Forestry Commission and other landowners. Also locations like nature reserves or other sensitive areas including archaeological sites where permission must be sought as well as places caches can't be placed at all. The Wiki also has links to the various maps we use when checking new caches, these include specific maps for Scotland. On the main page are links which explain why your cache may not get published as well as an example letter/email to use when applying for permission.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Policies Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website