Respect the cache!

gil57usa

Today I went out to do some cache maintenance. All was in order, except for the litter. I had populated the cache with some survival whistles that were in packaging. The whistles are gone and the packaging was laying on the ground. I policed the area and picked up the litter. When I checked the log book, I found a note inside the cover. It had been written by the volunteer that takes care of the historical area where the cache is located. It stressed the importance of respecting the area or the cache would be removed.

My observations of this are:

The volunteer is either a geocacher himself or is wise to the ways of the cache. Obviously he had found the cache.

There are some people who are geocachers, but don't respect the environment.

We all need to remember that the premise of geocaching goes hand in hand with respecting the planet. CITO is a large part of it. I urge everyone to please return the caches as you find them. If you bring children, please teach them not to litter. And finally, remember that we all represent the sport/game of geocaching. Set a good example.

Kinda preachin' to the choir here.

Not enough people enter the forums to notice your PSA, but I agree. :)

If their actions ever produce a hassle with a landowner, these creeps will probably be the first ones whining about it.

- But you can't fix stupid...

We've found water bottles, cigarette butts, and snack bar wrappers at GZ, on our higher terrain hides.

These aren't kids.

Used to put a sig card in with swag we left (the other 2/3rds said folks knew the quality stuff was from us anyway...), and we were handed a fist full of cards from a friend, whose series we added to.

Like happened to you, unwrapped, and either pitched the ziplock & card on the ground, or put it back into the cache.

- We don't leave much swag anymore. Besides the mess, few trade at all (just take), much less trade up today.