Urban Caches and What Is Okay?

So I live in a city where a good chunk of our caches are urban so it makes me wonder where is actually okay to place a cache in a city? Many get put in the bases of light posts but is that really okay? What's in violation of violating a private establishment's property?

Lack of permission.

So I live in a city where a good chunk of our caches are urban so it makes me wonder where is actually okay to place a cache in a city? Many get put in the bases of light posts but is that really okay? What's in violation of violating a private establishment's property?

Lack of permission.

Okay so every cache owner is supposed to go into a Walmart or whatever before placing one in their parking lot?

Lack of permission.

Okay so every cache owner is supposed to go into a Walmart or whatever before placing one in their parking lot?

When you place a cache, you state that you received permission.

Lack of permission.

In an ideal world, yes. The Guidelines merely state the following:

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location.

It doesn't require explicit permission, like you are suggesting, but I'm certain that there's probably more than a few Walmart parking lot hides that had to be Archived because they didn't meet that standard.

Probably in the vast majority of cases, a Reviewer would not even hesitate to Publish a parking lot cache, but there are a few situations in which a Listing won't get Published without the appropriate contact information. Earthcaches come to mind, as well as caches in National Parks, and National Wildlife Refuges. I'm sure there are a multitude of similar examples.

I would also echo public parks as being an obvious choice. It's easy enough to contact the local agency in charge of the park to see if they have a policy regarding geocaching. If so, that's usually sufficient. If not, it's an opportunity to educate them, and get approval.

Another resource is the Geocaching Wiki, which has a list of agencies by State, and any relevant regulations:

Geocaching Wiki

Okay what kind of places are even options for urban catches really?

Sounds like I'm being a bit of an arse, but look at the caches out there. Naturally it would vary depending on where you live, but what's there is a good indication of what's Ok. If it was really that big of a deal there wouldn't be a cache there. Just keep in mind though, just because it's OK or allowed, doesn't make it a good cache.

I'm going to suggest you find the forum for your region and ask there. They may point you to resources outside the forums.

I cache near Anoka County, Minnesota, USA. On the MNGCA's (Minnesota Geocaching Association) own forum, they have threads with resources for most of the larger counties, cities, and parks departments, detailing the rules and regs, and necessary contact info.

You won't find the MNGCA info on the Groundspeak forums, and so you might not find what you need here either.

Where do you like to go in your city? Is there a landmark, a view, a historic site? Placing a cache near these nice places is a good way to share them with other people. With permission for the cache of course.

^ This.

There are plenty of caches in parking lots etc but most cities will have much nicer places to go caching. Somewhere with a nice view or with historical significance perhaps.

I would seek out places you would like to hide a cache first, then go about contacting the landowner for permission. Best of luck :)

Speaking of parking lots, I recommend avoiding parking garages / multi-level parkades. Despite there being oodles of such caches active around North America, they are on/in private property and do require permission; many are placed without the reviewer knowing, many are approved by reviewers not enforcing. But I suppose the difference between a lot and a garage is the latter is an upright structure with access routes and possible signs denying loitering or trespassing, whereas the former is generally just pavement that's freely accessible 24/7.