Ticketing Out-of-towners in Parks

HartClimbs

Only in NJ..... I was reading this in the Star Ledger this morning where one of our local municipalities actually issued 'tickets' for non-residents walking through their park.

Nice. The good news is, some lawyers from Rutgers are on the case and I'm sure will cause this town (and hopefully others) to reconsider.

I've seen the signs before (residents-only) but still found this amusing. Take a read here (note - this link will only work for the next 14 days until the article's archived).

Enjoy.....

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

quote:
Here is a photo of a sign near the Boone Town Falls cache. Non-residents are supposed to get permits to use the park.

But if you go there the way I recommend, you don't see the sign. If you don't see the sign, is there a law?

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
Here is a photo of a sign near the Boone Town Falls cache. Non-residents are supposed to get permits to use the park.

But if you go there the way I recommend, you don't see the sign. If you don't see the sign, is there a law?

_"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues"_ -Abraham Lincoln

Well, generally, ignorance of the law is no defense....

Just because you're paranoid DOESN'T mean they're not ALL out to get you.

quote:
Originally posted by etoast66:

Here is a http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/display/685597_500.jpg of a sign near the Boone Town Falls cache. Non-residents are supposed to get permits to use the park.

Hah! I am a resident of New Jersey.

I am a resident of the United States.

I am a resident of the World.

Which residency is Boontown trying to exclude, exaclty?

I am supposed to live in the park? Heh. What a great protest that would make. Hey... if the cop who tries to ticket me lives outa town, can I ticket him in return?

Or will he wait patiently outside of the park?

You know... there's no law that says you have to present ID. And no law that says you have to incriminate yourself (although there is a kind of compulsory system when blanket immunity has been issued, but that's another rant).

By the way, there are signs in Jersey City that say "BOOM BOXES ARE ILLEGAL." The signs lie. The actually law refers to decibles and hours. Politicians trying to score points thru obsifiscation... there oughta be a law..

This Horse Writes

One thing nice about all parks in the 5 boros of NYC - anyone can go and you can always take your dog! Elsewhere, I've run into the "No Foreigners" "No DOg's" signs too much. It's especially bad on Long Island. Can't speak about NJ as I haven't done too mcuh caching there but NY municipalities north of the Bronx have a lot of limitations too.

It would be nice if hiders would post this kind of info on their cache pages. I hate driving miles to a park and find I can't park, or get in, or can't take my dog, etc. because of some local ordinance.

Now I feel better icon_smile.gif

Alan

We were visiting my husband's aunt and uncle in Rutherford a few years ago. We walked over to the local municipal tennis courts to play a few sets. After a hour or so we were asked if we were residents by the local police, after we said no, we were asked to leave. No one else was on the other courts, so it wasn't like residents were wainting to use them. Makes you wonder about the legal for some and not others laws out there.

quote:

Or just do what I do to get around this.. If you are caught by the 'locals', just say your name is Brian and you are from Kinnelon. icon_wink.gif

quote:
No one else was on the other courts, so it wasn't like residents were wainting to use them. Makes you wonder about the legal for some and not others laws out there.

I guess it depends who paid for the area in question. If its exclusively the town's tax money that constructed/or preserved the area, then I think they have the right to restrict the area for those who paid for it.

What I find interesting about the Boone Town Falls area is that they stock trout in the restricted area. Does this mean Boonton residents have exclusive rights catching those trout?

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

It's especially bad on Long Island.

Tell me about it. My car has NJ plates so it's obvious I'm not from Smithtown or Babylon or whatever town the parking area is reserved for. I could sneak in during the winter when the parks are deserted but in the summer, that's a problem.

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

Only in NJ..... I was reading this in the Star Ledger this morning where one of our local municipalities actually issued 'tickets' for non-residents walking through their park.

Wow, now this just put me in a bad mood for the whole day. The arrogant stupidity of the Prospect Park mayor in that story is absolutely tragic: He says the Rutgers lawyers 'have too much time on their hands'? No, Your Dishonor...your police have too much time on their hands. If your city's crime rate is non-zero, and there are still traffic accidents, then there is some place else they should be then arbitrarily raising revenue in the park.

'Follow the rules and regulations and you'll be fine?' Geesh! It's the rules and regulations they got ticketed for, Your Idiotness! If you think they were ticketed for not having thier dog on a leash, then THAT'S what should be on the ticket! If you think you can just arbitrarily pick and choose what laws to enforce so to punish anyone you feel like, maybe you need to get your sorry butt thrown in jail for being such a disgrace to your city...of course, that's not what it'll say on the warrent....what a twit.

Prospect Park! Stand up and get this jerk out of office!

Kinda gives new meaning to the NJ State motto ... "Liberty and Prosperity" icon_rolleyes.gif

You would think that the localities would encourage visitors and tourism, rather than exclude them.

All of our local parks are open to everyone, and tourists are welcome. We've got a sign at our town limits that encourages folks to come back to visit again.... "Y'all come back!"

Of course we're just ignorant Hillbillies, what do we know. icon_biggrin.gif

--------------

Changing some folks mind, is like trying to herd cats.

55883_200.gif