NFC use in caches

jhcii

I was wondering if there are any restrictions on making a multi point cache using NFC tags? Here's what I was thinking, using 2 or more NFC tags that have the coordinates and description saved on them that lead to a conventional cache. Basically the cache has coordinates to tag one, you scan tag one which gives coordinates and description of tag 2, tag 2 either leads to tag 3 etc or to the cache. This way you can hide the tags pretty much anywhere and it's easier to get the next point without too much muggle interference. You could then theme it to favorite restaurants, parks, etc before leading to a more secure cache hiding spot. Since most newer phones support this technology it would make hiding these easier, you just need to place or tap your phone to the tag and off you go to the next point in the search. You could then "hide" these tags right in plain sight and most would be none the wiser. The tags are cheap, easy to place, and if painted or camouflaged could make for an interesting time. It's just a thought I've been toying with and was wondering if there were any rules or restrictions regarding this type of cache. I've seen other multi point type caches with this type of theme ( going to favorite parks, restaurants, historical sites, etc ) and this could make them easier to place as you wouldn't need to hide a micro with paper hint, the hint and coordinates would be just a few seconds away. Any way any thoughts or ideas for this let me know, these tags can be locked so that the next person can't change what's written, the software to read and write these tags is free, and the tags themselves are fairly in expensive and can be placed pretty much anywhere.

• Upvote 1

Not sure about any hard and fast rules against it, but I will say that not everyone uses a smartphone to cache, or even has a smartphone. I know of at least several cachers around here (who are a bit older) who still use only a handheld GPS that they plug routes and coordinates into before starting the day.

Edited by o0rxkxrox0o

I was wondering if there are any restrictions on making a multi point cache using NFC tags? Here's what I was thinking, using 2 or more NFC tags that have the coordinates and description saved on them that lead to a conventional cache. Basically the cache has coordinates to tag one, you scan tag one which gives coordinates and description of tag 2, tag 2 either leads to tag 3 etc or to the cache. This way you can hide the tags pretty much anywhere and it's easier to get the next point without too much muggle interference. You could then theme it to favorite restaurants, parks, etc before leading to a more secure cache hiding spot. Since most newer phones support this technology it would make hiding these easier, you just need to place or tap your phone to the tag and off you go to the next point in the search. You could then "hide" these tags right in plain sight and most would be none the wiser. The tags are cheap, easy to place, and if painted or camouflaged could make for an interesting time. It's just a thought I've been toying with and was wondering if there were any rules or restrictions regarding this type of cache. I've seen other multi point type caches with this type of theme ( going to favorite parks, restaurants, historical sites, etc ) and this could make them easier to place as you wouldn't need to hide a micro with paper hint, the hint and coordinates would be just a few seconds away. Any way any thoughts or ideas for this let me know, these tags can be locked so that the next person can't change what's written, the software to read and write these tags is free, and the tags themselves are fairly in expensive and can be placed pretty much anywhere.

do both, the cords or directions in the NFC data and a manual set printed out for the old timers. just don't make it require an internet connection to access the data. less is more.

• Upvote 1

Thought I remembered this mentioned once, and found a bookmark here.

Note most state whether NFC is required (or not) to complete the cache.

We've found some multis using QR codes, but none of these.

When I'm by myself, it's rare for me to take my phone anymore, but since I look at cache pages (only on caches I'll do), I'd simply stay clear of those. :)

Not sure about any hard and fast rules against it, but I will say that not everyone uses a smartphone to cache, or even has a smartphone. I know of at least several cachers around here (who are a bit older) who still use only a handheld GPS that they plug routes and coordinates into before starting the day.

I've no opinion either way about this, but reading your response reminded me of another thread I recently browsed...

I've seen some posts from the older cachers that you're referring to. They wear the fact that they hand jam everything into their GPS as a badge of honor, so tough luck for those basic members coomplaing about not being able to download etc... basically the old timers' response to those complaints is: tough... change or do without...

So, I'd say to the old timers that couldn't do the NFC: tough... change or do without... :P

It's all about choices...

Like I said - no opinion either way...

You pull up a 9-month old thread to say you have no opinion either way?

Bored? :laughing:

Your response reminded me of a cache run I went on last month and made me smile.

3 of us were doing the "spring run" power trail (our only power trail) and while we were stopped on the side of the road, a KY state trooper pulled up behind us with his lights on.

He came over, leaned in the driver window and asked what we were doing. We went through a lengthy overview of what we were doing, how we were doing it, why we were doing it, etc... we even showed him the online map showing all the cache symbols. We explained caching...

Unfazed, he simply looked at us and deadpan said "you boys must be bored?" And left...

To answer your question, I just discovered the local forums and am looking for WV related posts and items.

Oh, and yes, my wife is taking a nap and I'm out on the porch surfing, so yep - a bit bored! :P