Filters Not Applied to Maps

ecanderson

Running a search with filters does provide a filtered list, but showing a map of the results, NONE of the filters are being employed. For example, searching for caches not found, the list includes only those, but the map is showing all found caches.

It is also impossible to add "My Finds" and "My Hides" filters using the left panel once the map is drawn.

Edited by ecanderson

Am running Greasemonkey, but had not experiences issues until yesterday.

Let me disable Greasemonkey altogether and see what happens

OK - Greasemonkey itself is now disabled

Nope. I can do the most generic search ...

Use Home location

Wait for search results to appear (no filters)

Click on "Add Filters"

Filter for "Haven't found" and "Don't Own"

Select "Search"

Resulting list is 100% correct. None of my finds or caches are included.

Select "Map These Geocaches"

Map result includes all of my finds and all of my hides, in spite of filter

Try selecting from left panel, 'My Finds' and 'My Hides'. Neither icon appears to be selectable, and neither has any impact on the map at all.

Cache TYPE selection does work. Selecting the 'Traditional' icon, for example, removes them from the map. But 'My Finds' and 'My Hides' not functional at all. Not even a visual indication that they are being selected.

Of interest, it is also impossible to hide the left panel with the little arrow at the middle border between the panel and the map. The bar between them highlights with the mouse-over, but the arrow cannot be selected to close the panel.

Use Home location

Click on "Add Filters"

Select "Search"

I followed your steps exactly and the map displayed the expected caches; my finds and owned by me were not displayed.

Try selecting from left panel, 'My Finds' and 'My Hides'. Neither icon appears to be selectable, and neither has any impact on the map at all.

Cache TYPE selection does work. Selecting the 'Traditional' icon, for example, removes them from the map. But 'My Finds' and 'My Hides' not functional at all. Not even a visual indication that they are being selected.

Of interest, it is also impossible to hide the left panel with the little arrow at the middle border between the panel and the map. The bar between them highlights with the mouse-over, but the arrow cannot be selected to close the panel.

This is where it gets confusing. The map that the search takes you to does not have a left hand panel. Either greasemonkey or another addon is screwing things up for you or you are getting a map from your internet cache. In any case, for me the mapping of the search results behaved correctly.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

The only extension that is currently enabled is FireFTP. Greasemonkey is actually now disabled within the Add-Ons for Firefox (not trusting the actual Greasemonkey disabling feature).

The left panel always comes up when I do a map view after a search, or when I do a map view from within Pocket Queries. Surely does look like it's generated by gc.com. Here's what it (the left side of the screen) looks like:

http://www.mediafire...ch/Map_View.jpg in case it doesn't appear correctly here.

Edited by ecanderson

I just tried, following ecanderson's directions above.

When I click the "map these results" button the map page opens, and very briefly (a fraction of a second) the left panel appears, it then disappears and the map shows a map centred on my home location with all the filtered caches showing (as ecanderson is reporting), but then after about a second all the filtered caches are removed and the map zooms out to cover the area in the search. The end result is that the filtered caches are not visible, but on the journey to get there I briefly see what ecanderson is seeing.

Use Home location

Click on "Add Filters"

Select "Search"

I followed your steps exactly and the map displayed the expected caches; my finds and owned by me were not displayed.

This is where it gets confusing. The map that the search takes you to does not have a left hand panel. Either greasemonkey or another addon is screwing things up for you or you are getting a map from your internet cache. In any case, for me the mapping of the search results behaved correctly.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

+1

I came across this topic last night and tested the search on my laptop, and it worked fine.

Followed ecanderson's detailed steps just now, and I'm not seeing an issue. I've never had the left-hand panel appear when mapping search results. Instead, I get the map with an orange "Clear Search Filters" box in the upper-left corner of the map.

I'm using Firefox 45.0.1 -- no scripts.

Are you all saying that not only does that left panel not appear, you can't click and get it to appear? As noted, it's a gc.com artifact, not coming from some 3rd party source.

As has been noted by others, the normal behavior USED to be that my 'home' location would come up with all caches, then quickly the map would change to an area that covered the list and with filters employed. It's that second step that no longer occurs.

Edited by ecanderson

Interesting. A second restart of Firefox seems to have resolved it.

Still starts with the panel open on the left, but that's OK ... it's the list that appears now. That's how it's always worked for me. If I want it gone, it's just an arrow click away from being so.

Edited by ecanderson

Are you all saying that not only does that left panel not appear, you can't click and get it to appear?

Correct. For me, the only time I get the left panel is when browsing the map. Play --> View Geocache Map

That's not really new. When the new search was first implemented the map displayed when the "Map these results" link was clicked would open the map without the left panel with no control to open/close the left panel (which is where one would set filters, and create a PQ from the map). It was explained by one of the lackeys awhile back that some of the new filters (e.g. show caches with corrected coordinates) caused issues with the maps, thus the map page when requested from the result of a search page did not include that left panel. One *could* click on a "remove filters" link to expose the left panel but then any filtering you did was removed as well. We were told that they were working on fixing this. Maybe they will some day.