I just placed a 911 call on GC6F514

I have to say that this is interesting. The cache owner himself has claimed a find on the cache too.

This one thread has kept me entertained for sure! :P

And just seconds later he logged a second find while exclaiming "IT'S GONE" in his log. This CO is sure a strange bird. He and the OP should have an event together at GZ. I'll make the drive from Ohio just to meet both of them AND log this one!

Yes - it does seem odd that the attributed FTF and the original CO don't seem to understand that publishing a cache without placing an actual container is a problem. The attributed FTF basically placed a cache in the general area of where the original CO thought would be a good place for a cache.

I have to say that this is interesting. The cache owner himself has claimed a find on the cache too.

This one thread has kept me entertained for sure! :P

Sweet! There's not only a guaranteed "Find" if the cache's instructions are followed, each Finder and the CO can log more Finds on all the new containers!

A bit off topic, but I thought we weren't supposed to be able to see reviewer notes.....unless it's just the ones posted by the CO we can't see.

Reviewer Notes can be seen on Published and Unpublished Listings. Most of the time you don't see them because the auto archive when a Listing is Published. Some Reviewers use them as a way to distinguish an official communication vs a regular Note. They kind of stand out a bit more.

WOW! This one has been entertaining! I think it being archived is the right thing especially with all this attention to it. Otherwise there would be a bunch of people thinking it is OK to just find a cool spot on google earth, List a cache and just let the FTF place it. The OP did over react by calling 911 but nailed the NA very quickly after it being published! He should get the FTKINA! First to know it needs archiving! Or something like that!

WOW! This one has been entertaining! I think it being archived is the right thing especially with all this attention to it. Otherwise there would be a bunch of people thinking it is OK to just find a cool spot on google earth, List a cache and just let the FTF place it. The OP did over react by calling 911 but nailed the NA very quickly after it being published! He should get the FTKINA! First to know it needs archiving! Or something like that!

In other word, to be the first to hit the big red button! :ph34r:

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole!

And now it's archived.

"YES WOW THE GUY FROM WEST TEXAS ????"

...does he know where the cache was actually published? *so confused*

I don't think he even realizes the "guy" is a reviewer.

I'm thinking this person isn't fully cognizant of very much. It's not a personal attack...but based on his cache description and logs, he seems to be in an entirely different plane of reality from the rest of us.

And now it's archived.

I'm thinking this person isn't fully cognizant of very much. It's not a personal attack...but based on his cache description and logs, he seems to be in an entirely different plane of reality from the rest of us.

What I can't figure out is how he can be so clueless on so many levels after hiding so many caches. Not to say they are anything to write home about, but surprised more haven't been archived if he doesn't know the publication rules/guidelines.

911: "911, what is your emergency?"

OP: "Somebody hid a geocache"

911: "Uh... Er... I'm sorry. What?"

OP: "SOMEONE HID A GEOCACHE!!"

911: "Sir, please calm down. I heard you. I just didn't understand you. Is this an emergency?"

OP: "OF COURSE IT IS! SOMEONE PLACED A GEOCACHE! IN THE WOODS!"

911: "Sir, what is it about someone placing a geocache in the woods represents an emergency?"

OP: "THOSE WOODS ARE SCARY!"

911: "Sir, is the person who placed the geocache forcing other people into the woods, or is it strictly a matter of personal preference and individual accountability?"

OP: "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!"

911: "Please stop shouting sir. Help us understand why this is an emergency, warranting you tying up the 911 system."

OP: "Sorry. I was a bit excited."

911: "No problem, sir. By the way, have you been drinking?"

OP: "Look. This could be a film can... In the woods... Do you get it now?"

911: "HOLY CARP! WE'LL GET SOMEONE ON IT RIGHT AWAY!"

And now it's archived.

I was trying to figure out a way to mention this without sounding "politically incorrect". After reading through some of their other cache descriptions and seeing what transpired on this particular cache, i have a feeling you could be right. I certainly didn't want to say this the wrong way or cause hurt feelings.

I was trying to figure out a way to mention this without sounding "politically incorrect". After reading through some of their other cache descriptions and seeing what transpired on this particular cache, i have a feeling you could be right. I certainly didn't want to say this the wrong way or cause hurt feelings.

My guess was, a family account. Although the caches have the same naming convention, the recent cache descriptions have developed a unique style. The majority of previous caches have typical text, and the latest ones have {{{ALL CAPS AND BRACES}}}.

This thread resulted in Clan Riffster returning to the forums to post his perspective as a geocacher/law enforcement officer. I miss his posts, so I am happy for this thread if for no other reason than that.

+1

and laugh.gif to:

OP: "Look. This could be a film can... In the woods... Do you get it now?"

Edited by L0ne.R

The cache or the big red button???

The cache or the big red button???

The NA button... do you know what that button do? There are few nukes wired to those NA buttons... Just dont going hitting them blind. :lol:

This thread resulted in Clan Riffster returning to the forums to post his perspective as a geocacher/law enforcement officer. I miss his posts, so I am happy for this thread if for no other reason than that.

Now if only we can coax Castle Mischief out of hiding...hmm, what kind of forum nonsense would work best...

Now if only we can coax Castle Mischief out of hiding...hmm, what kind of forum nonsense would work best...

Or the naked guy. :blink:

911: "911, what is your emergency?"

OP: "Somebody didn't hide a geocache"

911: "Uh... Er... I'm sorry. What?"

OP: "SOMEONE DIDN'T HIDE A GEOCACHE!!"

911: "Sir, please calm down. I heard you. I just didn't understand you. Is this an emergency?"

OP: "OF COURSE IT IS! SOMEONE DIDN'T PLACE A GEOCACHE! IN THE WOODS!"

911: "Sir, what is it about someone not placing a geocache in the woods represents an emergency?"

OP: "THOSE WOODS ARE SCARY!"

911: "Sir, is the person who didn't place the geocache forcing other people into the woods, or is it strictly a matter of personal preference and individual accountability?"

OP: "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!"

911: "Please stop shouting sir. Help us understand why this is an emergency, warranting you tying up the 911 system."

OP: "Sorry. I was a bit excited."

911: "No problem, sir. By the way, have you been drinking?"

OP: "Look. There could be absolutely nothing... In the woods... Do you get it now?"

I really liked your call here. I think this might have even been better on how it happened! :laughing:

so explain it to me slowly...how did the innocuous cache in this thread generate a 911 call, but this one has been found eleven times without incident?

:ph34r:

I like cache descriptions that lightheartedly portray dangerous/weird/challenging/scary situations but imo, this one is a bit over the top. Still, and even though it's not my cup of tea, there's nothing there that requires attention or concern.

so explain it to me slowly...how did the innocuous cache in this thread generate a 911 call, but this one has been found eleven times without incident?

I like cache descriptions that lightheartedly portray dangerous/weird/challenging/scary situations but imo, this one is a bit over the top. Still, and even though it's not my cup of tea, there's nothing there that requires attention or concern.

Oh, I know. I was just reminded of this old thread after the cache I linked came up on our local facebook group, so I thought I'd bump to share it. (And maybe I hoped it would get Clan Riffster back in from the cold again, if only for a little while.)

Oh, I know. I was just reminded of this old thread after the cache I linked came up on our local facebook group, so I thought I'd bump to share it. (And maybe I hoped it would get Clan Riffster back in from the cold again, if only for a little while.)

It'd be nice to see posts from many of the old timers. Was always good conversation coming in from Clan Riffster, Mopar, Renegade Knight, Briansnat (we still see him from time to time), Knowlschad, and gasp,,, Criminal. B)

Never saw a post like this EVER. GC6F514 Got a New cache alert and found this. Called 911 and they blew me off. Hope no-one chases it tonight. If you look at the owner's log they post every cache exactly 1/10 of a mile apart. this disturbs me. Just read the listing. It is disturbing.

You ought to call the non-emergency line to local authorities to express your concern next time. 911 is for emergencies only.

I also saw this in a FB group too,(dont know if it was the same one) but in that group someone said they called the police on it. Which I also thought was equally ridiculous as this OP.