Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
BK-Hunters

Amended: Local Narrated Guided Tours

19 posts in this topic

When we originally perceived the idea of local narrated guided tours it was spawned from the new category PT rentals: one location that offers tours, simple and straightforward.

With further thought, we added some of the following based primarily on our own experience; with the exception of bus tours.

“INCLUDED: Cemeteries, Churches, haunted places, museums, Capitol Buildings, Court Houses, Homes of Famous People, Parks, Historical Sites, and Local Bus tours that only last an hour or two, as well as other narrated tours not mentioned, but which must be local.”

Our first mistake was to state "Local Bus tours that only last an hour or two, as well as other narrated tours not mentioned, but must be local.”

We think this statement is now spinning out of control and spiraling in every direction.

“Where do we go now?”

Options:

1. Abandon the category completely

2. Limit it to ONLY locations where you “walk in” and a narrated tour is offered. This was basically our original intent.

3. Eliminate “other narrated tours not mentioned”

4. Local sightseeing tours must be offered by some established business/government agency/local entities, such as historical societies, with a specific location where tickets are purchased or a signup sheet is located, if by donation or free, or a gathering place within that establishment where the tour begins and ends. We will NOT accept tours with multiple pick up locations or those where the business or entities will go and pick you up at “your” location. Will NOT accepted “Hop on, Hop off” modes of transportation.

5. Local Sightseeing bus tours are only those that have ONE location to embark and disembark.

6. Loop Tours with just a waiting area: These tours MUST have a posted schedule at the pickup location and MUST return to the same location with or without you. These usually are trolleys, streetcars, boat excursions, and trains that run in a loop.

7. CLARIFY: “Historic Re-enactments”, as mentioned in the original post, to mean: Living History Museums and though not actual “re-enactments”, locations such as; Zoos, Aquariums and other similar locations that offer presentations at a specific location or display. In the context of this category it is to mean walking or riding around a location where there is an individual who explains about that particular location and you walk or ride to the next location and a different individual explains that location and so on. Living History Museums are the most common; however there are other tourist attractions, businesses, forts etc. that offer these types of tours/presentations. We will NOT accept these types of tours/presentations with a narrator at multiple locations. They are NOT presented by one guide.

8. The concept of a Local Narrated Guided Tour is: One guide leading the tour throughout the entire tour and returning to the location where the tour began.

LIMIT: One waymark per location regardless if more than one tour is offered.

None of these ideas are etched in stone, just possibilities. Our intent is to somehow make this category proposal manageable for waymarkers and officers.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome and will assist us in determining where this category proposal needs to go, if at all.

If you are looking at this category proposal and have not commented, we encourage you to offer your input.

How else will we know what you are thinking? We will consider, the “good, the bad and the ugly”.

Do you have a preconceived idea of how you envision this proposal?

Now is the time to speak up rather than wait and voice your grievances after peer review!

Edited by BK-Hunters

Sadly, I am leaning towards option #1. Otherwise, any compromised category could become a reviewers' nightmare.

This discussion has been a good use of this forum.

Edited by elyob

Is this discussion just limited to the Category Officers?

As a waymarker, this could be a cool category. My issue was how to waymark a guided tour I went on, when there was no specific tour-guide business to go to.

Now I see the issue with kazillions of kinds of different guided tours out there.

Knotty problems -- from an officer AND contributor perspective.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

There is only one CO...who needs to hear lots more discussion.

Tour guide is one of the oldest and easiest tourism related professions. All you need is some knowledge of the area and the ability to speak the language of the visitors. No wonder there is an unbelievable bandwidth of appearances, and this makes it more than difficult to master in terms of a Waymarking category. "reviewers' nightmare" hits the nail on the head.

"Is this discussion just limited to the Category Officers?"

This is an open discussion and everyone is encouraged to participate.

I think it could be done. Maybe a mix of two and three. An issue might be the overlap of the locations with other categories. Just playing devils advocate.

I think it could be done. Maybe a mix of two and three. An issue might be the overlap of the locations with other categories. Just playing devils advocate.

We are still considering our options where this proposal needs to go. We agree with you that this proposal needs to be limited. This was our original intent to limit it to "Walk In" an establishment, or location and they offers a guided tour.

Example: "Walk In" to a museum and they offer a guided tour.

Example: "Walk In" to a historic site and they offer a guided tour.

Example: "Walk In" to a park and they offer a guided tour.

Example: "Walk In" to a cemetery and they offer a guided tour.

Example: "Walk In" to a garden and they offer a guided tour.

and so on...

The point here is that the proposal has too many possibilities to fit under one category. Limiting the category is the only solution, if this proposal will ever see peer review.

This proposal CAN NOT be everything to everyone.

We are considering just a few other options. These will be posted separately on this thread. Then when it is clearly formulated, we will start a new thread with the proposal.

Posted (edited)

Just this morning I approved a very interesting waymark of an ostrich farm that also offered guided tours.

It got me thinking about this proposal again and would like more discussion.

The group still has open enrollment if you would like to join. We have not chosen officers as of yet, though we do have a draft of the proposal that we could post, if there is still interest in this proposal.

We still would like to focus on just walking narrated tours, with a guide of course.

Edited by BK-Hunters

Seems redundant with WayTours and Factory Tours.

Would we need a category for Ghost Walks?

Waytours should be "set up for self-guided tours", so that wouldn't be too redundant and I think that factory tours would not be included either. I see a bigger problem with the museums, because I hardly know any Museum that does NOT offer narrated guided tours. On the other hand, this might only be true in my part of the world (Austria and Europe).

Seems redundant with WayTours and Factory Tours.

Would we need a category for Ghost Walks?

From the guidelines: "Please note, these need to be set up for self-guided tours, so that a Waymarker can do it with nothing but their GPSr and the Waymark page. Guided tours should be posted in the "Geocaching Tour Guides" category."

The self-guided tours are what they say they are "self-guided". All the stops on the route are for existing approved waymarks of locations on a created route.

Factory tours as well as farm tours are excluded.

"Geocaching Tour Guides" is designed for other geocachers/waymarkers to meet and go geocaching or Waymarking.

In view of some of the more recent new categories, the redundancy issues were addressed, however they proceeded to peer review and approved.

As far as the ghost tours, if they are a guided tour, why not?

I fail to see your examples as a redundancy issue.

I fail to see your examples as a redundancy issue.

Sorry, it was a question I was asking. I would be interested in Waymarking ghost tours and Bigfoot sighting tours. :)

Nice idea.

We have some specical narrated Tours in our city (My link)

Especially : Musikalische Stadtführung (Guide is masquerade as Countess Marianne von der Leyen and a male chorus sings at some special places during the tour); Die Nachtwächterführung (nightwatchman tour - guide is is masquerade as a nightwatchman) and Mord mit Aussicht (just about Murder with prospect in english; disguised guide - who tells of historical court cases and show the places where the cases happend.).

But these tours don´t take place regularly. So how often such a tour must be offered? These Tours will offered one or seven time in the year (sometimes additional dates will be anounced in the lokal newspaper too). But you also can book them for your private arrangements.

I'm leukwarm on this, since most guided walking tours we have seen are not provided on a "walk-in" basis but by prior-arrangement on a schedule.

As I understand the category, it's for spontaneous walk-ups only. Or can you schedule the tour ahead of time?

I'm leukwarm on this, since most guided walking tours we have seen are not provided on a "walk-in" basis but by prior-arrangement on a schedule.

As I understand the category, it's for spontaneous walk-ups only. Or can you schedule the tour ahead of time?

A "walk-in" basis only makes no sense to me. All local guided tours that I am aware of requires prior-arrangement or they are on a schedule.

We are on a road trip and should return in a few days, will address your comments when we return.

A "walk-in" basis only makes no sense to me. All local guided tours that I am aware of requires prior-arrangement or they are on a schedule.

As far as spontaneous walk-ins only, this is not the case.

When we first proposed this new category, it spiraled in every direction. Attempting to narrow the category to just walk-in or drive-in and a walking guided tour is offered. We were simply trying to stress the walking and guided aspect of the category. We are very much aware that some tours are seasonal, a waymarker may not be there at the scheduled tour times, or needs to make prior arrangements with the place offering the tour/s.

We were on a road trip and visited several places of business that offered walking guided tours, just not at the time of our visit or they were not open for the season.

I will post our revised proposal in a day or so. Hopefully all your questions and concerns will be answered.

We did visit a museum, and timed it perfectly. There were 6 other people waiting for the next tour that started in about 5 minutes. It took about 35 minutes, the guide was well informed and we learned about the area history and the different displays. The guide answered all the questions, and paced the tour to allow time to view the displays. After the tour you can return, perhaps to read the signage and/or spend as much time as you want looking at the displays and of course taking lots of pictures. We really enjoyed the tour and walked away with a greater appreciation of the museum and the town's history. The Museum offers 2 tours a day during the off season and 6 tours during peak tourist season with longer opening hours.