logging code

Sothpaw

I finally made a Wherigo, and I've obviously got some bugs to work out.

first off, people are asking me for a logging code so they can log it.

they've finished the tour, but don't get a code. is one even required?

I can't find a listed code to give them...

(Didn't I see you at MOGA?)

The "logging code" is probably the completion code. This is generated uniquely for each person. There isn't a way a cartridge owner can provide a completion code to a player. The code isn't required and doesn't do much on Wherigo.com, anyway.

(I addressed this in the Wherigo Foundation site. An owner will be able to upgrade a "made progress" or "note" log to a completion log. An owner can also tell the site ahead of time a certain user can log a completion log. While the site is still a demo until it replaces Wherigo.com, I did want to state I had anticipated and addressed the issue.)

I apologize up front to disagree (a bit) with our Wherigo Guru Ranger Fox on this:

There isn't a way a cartridge owner can provide a completion code to a player.

From your post I deduce that you want to know how to provide a completion code in a next version of your cartridge for your future players. That can be provided by you as a cartridge owner by showing the Player.CompletionCode at the end of your cartridge. Depending on the tool you use to build your cartridge this varies in details but you can find some of these in this post. I always use the excellent Earwigo method for that (with a Completion Code item in the inventory for the players' convenience)

Furthermore, you could even provide the completion code to a player after he played it. So yes there is a way, but I understand from the threads of this forum that there is an understanding not to disclose this publicly here (if you haven't figured it out yourself).

The code isn't required and doesn't do much on Wherigo.com, anyway.

That's true but even then most of my players (and myself) appreciate getting it at the end. I agree that a lot more could be done with it and Ranger Fox is showing what the future could bring us. But until then, it does mark the cartridge on Wherigo.com as "completed" (with a big green label) for you as a player on the cartridge listing page. And for other players and the cartridge owner it shows the total number of completions on the cartridge listing page. This gives an extra hint of the success rate because the log only enables you to mark it is "played" (not necessarily completed).

There has been said a lot already on the poor support of this feature on Wherigo.com and a lot more could be done with it. But personally, I still always provide it as a cartridge builder and I always want it as a player.

We are looking forward to the bright future of Wherigo with the Wherigo Foundation initiative!

I apologize up front to disagree (a bit) with our Wherigo Guru Ranger Fox on this:

Please do disagree. I don't get upset.

There isn't a way a cartridge owner can provide a completion code to a player.

From your post I deduce that you want to know how to provide a completion code in a next version of your cartridge for your future players. That can be provided by you as a cartridge owner by showing the Player.CompletionCode at the end of your cartridge. Depending on the tool you use to build your cartridge this varies in details but you can find some of these in this post. I always use the excellent Earwigo method for that (with a Completion Code item in the inventory for the players' convenience)

I understood the question being asked this way: "Someone has played my cartridge, but didn't get a completion code. Can I give this person a completion code?" What you described will work if the user hasn't played the cartridge. (The save state usually only tends to work for that version of the cartridge, so you can't come out with a new version of the cartridge and tell the person to resume and then it'll show the completion code.) If I misunderstood the first question, thank you for pointing that out.

Furthermore, you could even provide the completion code to a player after he played it. So yes there is a way, but I understand from the threads of this forum that there is an understanding not to disclose this publicly here (if you haven't figured it out yourself).

Yeah, that's some knowledge I'd like to discourage from floating around. While it's harmless to know at the moment, it'll do some damage if I have to support the completion code for the Garmin player on the Wherigo Foundation site. It's akin to someone logging a cache without having signed the log book.

And for other players and the cartridge owner it shows the total number of completions on the cartridge listing page. This gives an extra hint of the success rate because the log only enables you to mark it is "played" (not necessarily completed).

That slipped my mind. I should probably make logs for cartridges I've played as well.

Just completed our first two Wherigos and got the completion costs but have no idea how to enter them. Using an Android phone!

Go to the cartridge listing on Wherigo.com, click the "unlock" button on the left side, enter the first fifteen characters of the unlock code under the section "Option 2", and click the "Submit Unlock Code" button just below that text box.