Icon proposal for Solved (but not yet found) Misteries

RatoLibre

So, I started working on a copy of the geocaching map on Google Maps for personal usage, and copied the icons from the original map. To make it more clear, I added some custom icons, rapidly Photoshopped. One is for the caches I plan to hide ("blue star", as opposed to the owned caches' "yellow star"), and the other one is "!", for the mistery caches with corrected coordinates (but not yet logged).

noHxuU8.png The "!" icon.

Here you can see them on the customised map:

KMVRQsh.png

[Reference only, not real locations]

What I'm wondering is, can we please get an official icon (like the "!") to mark the solved misteries? It doesn't have to look like mine (that's just how I roll), but it could be really useful to distinguish these caches on the map.

My approach is not to load mystery/puzzle caches into my device unless they're on my "solved" list. Then, any 8.gif on the map are by definition solved.

And then there's that bonus cache in a series you don't have on your GPS because the solution is to be found during the series. :ph34r:

BTW, I do the same, only solved mysteries + the ones that need "in the field solving" loaded with GSAK onto my Oregon600. When looking at the map in GSAK caches with corrected coordinates have their own icon too (question mark + trafficsign style exclamation mark).

The GC map is only used for a general view.

Since the feature request was put on the tracking system in 2005 I guess that after almost 11 years it must be near the top spot by now :ph34r: .

For geocaching database i use free GeoGet (another Geocaching and waypoint management tool). On GeoGet's map solved mystery have another icon, and final waypoint are visible.

For geocachind i use a>Drake, which use database from GeoGet with the same distinction between icons.

Webpage is only for rough orientation.

My approach is not to load mystery/puzzle caches into my device unless they're on my "solved" list. Then, any 8.gif on the map are by definition solved.

I do something very similar.

-- All of my PQ's exclude Mystery caches.

-- Then, I have another List/PQ for Mystery caches that I don't mind having on my GPSr screen, such as: (1) puzzle caches with solved coordinates, (2) completed challenges, (3) field puzzles, or (4) other Mystery caches that I want to make sure I have on my GPSr. This last category includes things like bonus caches or challenges that I don't yet qualify for but I'm going to be close to and I might pre-sign them.

Essentially, no question marks appear on my GPSr unless I've already read through that cache's description.

And then there's that bonus cache in a series you don't have on your GPS because the solution is to be found during the series. :ph34r:

I do something very similar to niraD and I also put bonus caches, and challenge caches that I'm qualified for, on the same solved list. Thereby the only ? caches on my GPS are ones that I can look for while I'm out in the field. The solved puzzles also have had their co-ords corrected so they show up in the right place.

I do something very similar to niraD and I also put bonus caches, and challenge caches that I'm qualified for, on the same solved list. Thereby the only ? caches on my GPS are ones that I can look for while I'm out in the field. The solved puzzles also have had their co-ords corrected so they show up in the right place.
Yeah, my "solved" list also includes mystery/puzzle caches that aren't technically "solved", but are still ready for me to go search for them, including bonus caches, completed challenges, and on-site puzzles.

"But the idea is the important thing."

- Tom Lehrer

I use a specific attribute poi (the yellow triangle - showing the final location status, even for multis, letterboxes, traditionals with formerly bad coords). The red triangle shows a mystery/multi/letterbox where the solved coords are just for starting .

corrected%20flag.pngccisstart%20only.png

Hans

Edited by HHL