Attaching caches to trees

keithv83

I was looking at attaching it to the trunk.

Find one with a somewhat low branch, and you could use cord or rope or plastic-coated wire to hang the birdhouse.

Is it a slow-growing tree? Wide Velcro or bungee cords might do. I have a couple of moderately heavy birdhouses, and have been testing some marine bungee cord material.

I've challenged myself that if I place a birdhouse, I won't use nails or screws. But pretty much every birdhouse cache I've ever found is either nailed or screwed on. And even those would require some maintenance, as the trunk grows.

Edited by kunarion

Birdhouse_17185.jpg

mounted.jpg

• To have less impact on the tree you have chosen consider using bungee cords. Drill two 3/8" holes on the top and bottom. Use a bungee cord that will wrap tightly around the trunk. Wrap the top bungee cord over a branch and around the trunk. Put the hooks through the drilled holes. Repeat for the bottom bungee cord.

7185391_f260.jpg7185357_f260.jpg

• By drilling two holes in each end of the bird house mounting board you can run a piece of rope through. Then use the rope to tie the bird house to a tree, pole or anything else you can find that is suitable for hosting a family of birds.

Edited by L0ne.R

Birdhouse_17185.jpg

mounted.jpg

• To have less impact on the tree you have chosen consider using bungee cords. Drill two 3/8" holes on the top and bottom. Use a bungee cord that will wrap tightly around the trunk. Wrap the top bungee cord over a branch and around the trunk. Put the hooks through the drilled holes. Repeat for the bottom bungee cord.

7185391_f260.jpg7185357_f260.jpg

• By drilling two holes in each end of the bird house mounting board you can run a piece of rope through. Then use the rope to tie the bird house to a tree, pole or anything else you can find that is suitable for hosting a family of birds.

Nice! Sturdy and environmentally sound.

I've used daisy chained zip ties. They held up for a while in the sun.

I might try that!

Zip ties don't stretch :(

Mine were in place for a year. I left enough slack to secure the caches while still leaving the tree room to grow. (Interestingly, I thought for a second that the bird cache above might have been mine, but then I remembered I used a fake hawk for one of mine, not an owl.) When I moved the next year, I went by and clipped the zips; all had enough play so that the trees weren't damaged.

I might try that!

Mine were in place for a year. I left enough slack to secure the caches while still leaving the tree room to grow. (Interestingly, I thought for a second that the bird cache above might have been mine, but then I remembered I used a fake hawk for one of mine, not an owl.) When I moved the next year, I went by and clipped the zips; all had enough play so that the trees weren't damaged.

That's the key thing - responsible ownership. Check regularly to be sure there's no harm (or perceived harm) to the tree. When the cache gets archived, remove the cache and ties so there's no sign that the cache was once there.

I might try that!

Good man B)

I might try that!

That's the key thing - responsible ownership. Check regularly to be sure there's no harm (or perceived harm) to the tree. When the cache gets archived, remove the cache and ties so there's no sign that the cache was once there.

I'd have to do that anyway. Zip ties might get tight, and bungee cords might lose elasticity.

One would hope that a cache owner does cache maintenance at a faster rate than the tree grows.

Whatever I use (rope, zip tie, bungee cord, Velcro straps, wire, or some combination of them), I'll likely check on it more often than most other caches. I'll attach it to a hardwood rather than a pine. I hope to do the low branch idea. The park managers hang bird houses (not caches, actual houses for birds) with piano wire. Yep, thin one-stranded steel wire, twisted by hand at each end. Looks terrible. My cache won't be like that.

I won't use nails or screws, which I think would be no good, even from a maintenance standpoint. The caches I've seen attached with nails are almost always loose or about to fall. The trunk grows, and the nail is pulling through the back of birdhouse. Nails seem to be considered maintenance-proof. But when the tree "eats" the nails, even more nails are required. And COs wait til the cache falls off the tree before fixing it. Or it gets archived.

Edited by kunarion
One would hope that a cache owner does cache maintenance at a faster rate than the tree grows.

Whatever I use (rope, zip tie, bungee cord, Velcro straps, wire, or some combination of them), I'll likely check on it more often than most other caches. I'll attach it to a hardwood rather than a pine. I hope to do the low branch idea. The park managers hang bird houses (not caches, actual houses for birds) with piano wire. Yep, thin one-stranded steel wire, twisted by hand at each end. Looks terrible. My cache won't be like that.

I won't use nails or screws, which I think would be no good, even from a maintenance standpoint. The caches I've seen attached with nails are almost always loose or about to fall. The trunk grows, and the nail is pulling through the back of birdhouse. Nails seem to be considered maintenance-proof. But when the tree "eats" the nails, even more nails are required. And COs wait til the cache falls off the tree before fixing it. Or it gets archived.

I have one ( bird house) in a tree. I used a rope and hung it 10 feet high so as not to draw muggle attention.

It can be lowered and raised back up with that rope.

Here's a novel solution, how about drilling the tree and pegging the birdhouse in place with wooden dowels. I'm sure somebody will tell me this is totally inappropriate and will still damage the tree, but it's just a thought.

Drilling into the tree is what the OP is trying to steer from, as it's against the guidelines.

Here's a novel solution, how about drilling the tree and pegging the birdhouse in place with wooden dowels. I'm sure somebody will tell me this is totally inappropriate and will still damage the tree, but it's just a thought.

This is totally inappropriate and will still damage the tree.

This is the type of thing that could easily get geocaching banned from an area. I certainly hope you're joking, this is a hypothetical idea, and have neither done this yourself nor seen instances done by others.