Pet Peeves

SFJeff

I thought it might be interesting to hear from others on their experiences with bad GC etiquette. Two of mine are, first, finding a cache with the top or lid not fully secured. Invariably there has been some water intrusion (at best) or even some objects in the cache spilling out (at worst). The second for me is open ziplock bags. I am astounded when I find a cache with a logbook placed in a ziplock bag that is left wide open. Sure, I understand that bags get damaged (in fact, I always carry some replacements with me in case they're needed), but there is no mystical skill in at least attempting to seal one of these bags.

Since I don't want this to be a gripe-only session, I pose the following: How can we, as a community, provide awareness training so everyone becomes "cache conscious" to ensure the integrity of something that the hider has spent much time assembling and placing? This awareness can be like the CITO program, where we are proactive in preserving the natural areas in which many of our caches are placed. Why can't we show the same respect for the caches themselves?

Somebody finds a cache very easily. It was too easy for them so they hide it a little better. They do not care if that was how it was hidden by the CO in the first place, it just didn't meet their hiding standards. Peeves me to no end when I see a log like that on a cache page.

I'll write what to do either on the cache page or in the log book:

Please be sure to reclose the container tightly. Thank You

Please be sure to replace the container in its hole so it cannot fall out. If it falls out it will be seen and muggled. TY

Etc.

I like those reminders on a cache page or log book. I have seen very clear instructions on a cache page completely ignored. Such as "Please rehide the cache (and or container) as found" The cache owners instructions are ignored or not read in the first place. That is the peeve for me. Just peeved, not angry or vindictive.

Somebody finds a cache very easily. It was too easy for them so they hide it a little better. They do not care if that was how it was hidden by the CO in the first place, it just didn't meet their hiding standards. Peeves me to no end when I see a log like that on a cache page.

This one made me laugh because its true. When a cacher does this, what is going through his/her head is this; "hmm, surely this could be done better... I'll help this clueless CO out. My altruism knows no bounds. Give myself a nice pat on my back." :rolleyes:

This one made me laugh because its true. When a cacher does this, what is going through his/her head is this; "hmm, surely this could be done better... I'll help this clueless CO out. My altruism knows no bounds. Give myself a nice pat on my back." :rolleyes:

This assumes that every finder between the cacher and the CO has hidden the cache exactly as they found it. Aside from adding branches or leaves to replace rotting wood that was the original hiding location, I've only ever moved caches that were obviously out-of-line with the description/hint, or something else clearly happened (sitting in the open several feet away from a hidey hole that was actually at GZ; tied to a pine branch that has since died). Usually I add a direct messages to the owner with a pic of what I'd done and a willingness to reverse it if I ticked someone off.

In any case, I never do it with a "help this clueless CO out" mentality, but more of a "clean up after clueless/irresponsible cachers" attitude. Hopefully I'm not ticking off anyone's peeves, but I'd be willing to bet there are some CO's out there with a peeve of cachers who don't do what I do. (And then there are people with peeves at CO's who expect others to do their maintenance for them!)

Just saying not everything everyone does is intentionally arrogant and what ticks off someone might just be someone trying to help out. Reading through these forums, the only clear thing I've learned about geocaching is that it's never possible to please everyone.

I usually assume that the cache owner didn't leave the cache out in full view so that it's obvious to muggles - so I usually make sure it's out of sight before I leave.

I'm also cognisant of the fact that the only finder who can have any level of confidence of finding the cache exactly how the CO was hidden, unless the CO visits and resets the cache between every find, is whoever gets FTF.

That's why asking finders to replace the cache exactly as found could yield some rather unexpected results.

Cache logs that are cut and paste without even a shred of mention of the particular hide.

People putting metal trading items in an obviously not watertight cache.

People hiding non-watertight caches (I get it, sometimes it's inevitable, but why on earth would you use a Pringles can as a cache?)

Hides with no love or creativity put into them.

Caches near playgrounds. Even as a teenage girl, it makes me nervous to go to an area where young children may be playing.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my peeves.

My favorite is "forgot my pen"

I've headed out on a hike before, backpack and all...only to discover at the cache location that I'd neglected to replace the pen in the pocket.

I've also brought a pen, discovering as I am signing the log, that it no longer works/is out of ink or is broken.

It happens.

Edited by J Grouchy

I've headed out on a hike before, backpack and all...only to discover at the cache location that I'd neglected to replace the pen in the pocket.

I've also brought a pen, discovering as I am signing the log, that it no longer works/is out of ink or is broken.

It happens.

What I've learned in the forums:

Never write in the online log that you forgot your pen.

It happens.

What I've learned both here in the forums and as the owner of a few hundred caches, NEVER, EVER, admit in your log that you cheated in ANY fashion. When you do this I almost always do not let you get away with it unless there are special circumstances.

People putting logs back into the bottom section of the bison tube instead of into the top/cap portion. I don't like spending more time getting the log out than I did finding the cache. Frustrating but not much you can do about it.

Yep!

Also, on caches i find,,, people who use the included pen and then put it inside the baggie with the cap off or with the ballpoint exposed. On my own caches that include a baggie, i purposely leave the writing utensil outside of it. The peeve is when i go back to check on the cache and find that someone took it upon themselves to place the pen or pencil inside the baggie.

People putting logs back into the bottom section of the bison tube instead of into the top/cap portion. I don't like spending more time getting the log out than I did finding the cache. Frustrating but not much you can do about it.

Yep!

Also, on caches i find,,, people who use the included pen and then put it inside the baggie with the cap off or with the ballpoint exposed. On my own caches that include a baggie, i purposely leave the writing utensil outside of it. The peeve is when i go back to check on the cache and find that someone took it upon themselves to place the pen or pencil inside the baggie.

Even with the cap on, pens will ruin the bag by creating holes in it. :(

Yep!

Exactly,, hence the 2nd half of my paragraph above. I'm guessing that other COs don't realize this or just don't care since the majority of caches i find are placed the writing utensil inside the baggie.

Along the same lines, it can be frustrating when a log doesn't fit into a cache container very well. We've come across many where the CO placed a log/logbook that was too big for the cache. It's not only frustrating for finders trying to work with the log, it's also likely to cause damage and then maintenance issues for the CO..

Yep!

Exactly,, hence the 2nd half of my paragraph above. I'm guessing that other COs don't realize this or just don't care since the majority of caches i find are placed the writing utensil inside the baggie.

Along the same lines, it can be frustrating when a log doesn't fit into a cache container very well. We've come across many where the CO placed a log/logbook that was too big for the cache. It's not only frustrating for finders trying to work with the log, it's also likely to cause damage and then maintenance issues for the CO..

I tend to blame cachers, not cache owners. I think people do it because they are honestly trying to be helpful. The pen is now with the logbook! The pen won't get wet! The pen isn't at the bottom of the cache somewhere!

This assumes that every finder between the cacher and the CO has hidden the cache exactly as they found it. Aside from adding branches or leaves to replace rotting wood that was the original hiding location, I've only ever moved caches that were obviously out-of-line with the description/hint, or something else clearly happened (sitting in the open several feet away from a hidey hole that was actually at GZ; tied to a pine branch that has since died). Usually I add a direct messages to the owner with a pic of what I'd done and a willingness to reverse it if I ticked someone off.

In any case, I never do it with a "help this clueless CO out" mentality, but more of a "clean up after clueless/irresponsible cachers" attitude. Hopefully I'm not ticking off anyone's peeves, but I'd be willing to bet there are some CO's out there with a peeve of cachers who don't do what I do. (And then there are people with peeves at CO's who expect others to do their maintenance for them!)

Just saying not everything everyone does is intentionally arrogant and what ticks off someone might just be someone trying to help out. Reading through these forums, the only clear thing I've learned about geocaching is that it's never possible to please everyone.

I agree with the clueless or lazy cacher attitude. We have a terrain 5 cache in our area..tool(s) required.... that has changed to a terrain 2 at least 3 times. The CO didn't fix the cache. Subsequent finders restored the cache(this is a very good thing)The only solution I have ever seen for cache migration is to zip tie or chain the container in place. I must admit I have not replaced a container or two exactly as found because I forgot which branch of a tree it was attached to. I did get the right tree.

Unfortunately the cache is not their living room, so when it is found, it not treated as their living room. The cache is treated like a take away food container, wasted and used. Left with disrespect and disrepair, alas poor CO, I really don't respect your hide, nor the reason you hid it here. I just need to be the FTF or reach my goal of umpteen hides even though I was forty miles away and someone else signed for me. I am a disgruntled CO who cannot respect the fact that my smelly rotten cache wet cache needs propping up by someone providing a new log. I also need to know when I should be bothered checking caches.

I also need to be informed when there are new gripe posts about anything to do with complaining about CO behaviour, cacher behaviour, bad CO maintenance, NM posts, NA posts, and, ooh, almost forgot, DNF that are correct.

What else can I add.

People who hold onto my travel bugs, refuse to log trackables and just don't take the game seriously.

Just play the game and log everything as it should be logged. Don't prop up caches, don't think it does not need a NM or a NA, the game needs the kick in the butt to keep it going.

Nano caches listed as micros. If it's only as big as my pinky tip, it is not a micro!

A "nano" IS a in the micro category. This has been discussed to death, but there really is no disputing the fact that even the guidelines explicitly state that nanos are included in that size category.

I am getting peeved about geocide. The repeat geociders are worse. Should people that mass archive hundreds of caches be given a cooling off period before they can start the cycle again?

Is it geocide, or just COs archiving, then "reintroducing" the same caches, so their friends can rack-up-dos-points again, and again?

I think it's odd, but seems some like to play that way.

I don't think Groundspeak would ever ask for a cooling-off period when it comes to placing more caches.

Heck, they even removed a guideline so folks could place more. :)

Any container where the opening is smaller than the body of the container (unless you can fit your hand into the opening). Getting the log out of those, usually a pill bottle, is more of a pain than rolling up a nano log.

I have a couple of those where the container is a special object in keeping with the cache's theme (definitely not a pill bottle) and I've solved the problem by attaching the log to the lid, in one case directly (the lid is about 40mm across) and in the other with a piece of wire. It works well.

Jeff

Any container where the opening is smaller than the body of the container (unless you can fit your hand into the opening). Getting the log out of those, usually a pill bottle, is more of a pain than rolling up a nano log.

I have a couple of those where the container is a special object in keeping with the cache's theme (definitely not a pill bottle) and I've solved the problem by attaching the log to the lid, in one case directly (the lid is about 40mm across) and in the other with a piece of wire. It works well.

Jeff

I have one pill bottle cache. I solved the problem by cutting a length of PVC tube the same height, and same opening diameter as the bottle then the rolled up log goes inside the tube, inside the bottle.

Nano caches listed as micros. If it's only as big as my pinky tip, it is not a micro!

A "nano" IS a in the micro category. This has been discussed to death, but there really is no disputing the fact that even the guidelines explicitly state that nanos are included in that size category.

D'oh! I feel stupid now! I thought for sure that when a CO is setting up the page for their cache, they could select "nano" from the list. I scoured the site. You are right and I am wrong; "micro" is the smallest size selectable. I apologize.

It happens.

I have too. But one cache I left my Facebook bird chat card in one that has my jellis name on it and and some I have used a stick with mud to etch my name, photographed my thumb ring. Anything to prove I was there.

It happens.

I've been called nitpicky and nazi. I don't care, if I suspect someone wasn't at my cache I will check the log and photograph it and post it on the cache page. Play the game right or don't play at all.

My pet peeve is that there are not enough tree climb hides. I mean there are some here and there but I want to see more. I am being sincere..

El Paso will give you a quick fix if you're in the area, there are several acrophobia caches around town.

Germany will give you more, but you'll want to pack (or rent) climbing gear.

My pet peeve is that there are not enough tree climb hides. I mean there are some here and there but I want to see more. I am being sincere..

El Paso will give you a quick fix if you're in the area, there are several acrophobia caches around town.

Germany will give you more, but you'll want to pack (or rent) climbing gear.

San Francisco big time. I just not only not crazy about them but I worry for those daredevils because we had and still have a drought. Yes we had rain but may not fix the problem overnight and not fix the damage to the existing trees that dying inside and branches weakening.

Just play the game and log everything as it should be logged. Don't prop up caches, don't think it does not need a NM or a NA, the game needs the kick in the butt to keep it going.

+1

Yes,,, what boothie said and L0ne.R agreed to!

Not a peeve exactly but, I agree! Less specifically, more caches that have a bit of challenge or creativity built into them and/or that are placed in a nice locations. B)

Because I'm almost 100% a solo cacher, I don't really have any interest in climbing trees. Not as limber at 41 as I was at 21...nor as lightweight!

:)

Tack on twenty, and they're still my favorites.

Most are pmos though...

Tree climbs and culverts...I don't find those to be enjoyable (or advisable) when out on my own.

Since the current topic is tree-climb caches. . .

A nearby one (that my nephew did the climbing for his mother and me) was just archived. Here's part of the CO's Archive log

. . . I checked on this one after [a] dentist appointment. All we could find of the cache was a strip of camo tape. Someone has destroyed the bottom 15 feet of the tree. Bark was ripped off and every branch from the cache down is broken or ripped off the tree. Some of the hand holds needed to reach the cache safely are gone as well as the area the cache was hidden in. This type of destruction should never happen and I'm very disappointed that it has. We are archiving the cache today. . . .

CO had checked on the cache in December and replaced the lid, but made no mention of damage to the tree at that time.