looking for some good velcro

Hi everybody. I am looking some advice on one of my hides. It is the first one I used Velcro to attach the cache. the problem is that when it got cold outside the sticky part released an the cache disappeared. My question for all of you is can anyone recommend a brand of Velcro that has a strong adhesive? i need one side to stick to duct tape and the other side to stick to painted aluminum. thank you

Hi everybody. I am looking some advice on one of my hides. It is the first one I used Velcro to attach the cache. the problem is that when it got cold outside the sticky part released an the cache disappeared. My question for all of you is can anyone recommend a brand of Velcro that has a strong adhesive? i need one side to stick to duct tape and the other side to stick to painted aluminum. thank you

I have never placed a Velcro hide, so no help there. But the question that comes to my mind is, who owns the painted aluminum - and do they know you have placed a cache there? If you find some super adhesive Velcro, are you able to remove it (after an extended period of time) without leaving any telltale sign or residue?

I have never placed a Velcro hide, so no help there. But the question that comes to my mind is, who owns the painted aluminum - and do they know you have placed a cache there? If you find some super adhesive Velcro, are you able to remove it (after an extended period of time) without leaving any telltale sign or residue?

Yes, don't vandalize

I also wouldn't hide a cache using Velcro. Maybe look over the area and think of a hide you can make without it. Then the problem of the cache failing and others thinking it is not a good idea to use Velcro will be solved.

Not really suggesting it for this hide but West Marine has some strong Velcro that I have used on my boat that stands up to whatever.

Assuming you've covered all of the "placing it" questions, I will answer your question.

As War Ninjas pointed out, Marine Grade Velcro can be really strong. Just be careful that the velcro doesn't hold so tightly that the adhesive will be ripped off when someone removes the cache. I've seen velcro that strong.

In many areas where there are outdoors activities there are also stores that carry supplies to make your own outdoor gear. Besides a number of really great things in there, you can find different grades of velcro in many of these stores.

Some of these stores mail order, but if you can find one near you you can walk in and test how strong it is. Many of those stores carry it on rolls rather than in packages so you can check it out.

I didn't check where you are, but Seattle Fabrics mail orders great stuff to you.

West Marine carries marine grade velcro I'm sure, although I don't know if it's in packages or not, so I don't know whether you can test it out in the store.

There are actually many grades of velcro. You can also find a few of them in large fabric stores too. I even found a good selection in a walmart that had a fabric area.

Have fun. Good luck.

Even if you find an adhesive strong enough to hold it to the paint, odds are, you won't be able to remove the velcro yourself when you retire the cache. It is also possible that the glue will hold but the paint will then give way. Apparently the paint in your particular case has proven to be adhered well enough, but in general, gluing to a painted surface isn't advisable in the first place.

Thanks to all who DID NOT give snotty answers, seriously that is childish. Yes I have permission you cannot hide caches without permission anyway so no kidding! Anyway the marine Velcro was a good idea although I looked into it and Industrial streanth velcro should do the trick. Thanks.

Thanks to all who DID NOT give snotty answers, seriously that is childish. Yes I have permission you cannot hide caches without permission anyway so no kidding! Anyway the marine Velcro was a good idea although I looked into it and Industrial streanth velcro should do the trick. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum... I get a kick out of those people.

Magnets don't tend to stick well to aluminum. <_<

How do I like a comment? i first tried magnets but then realized it was aluminum or actually now that I think of it the metal may be non magnetic stainless steel. In any case my point was to be obvious that magnets will not work. LOL

Magnets don't stick to aluminum, or to wood, plastic, etc.

But a pair of magnets can still work: one magnet for the container, and one magnet for the attachment point.

+1

If one magnet can be placed on the back of the aluminum structure, and one inside the container, all you need is some rubber cement or other adhesive to hold the magnet in position. Use an adhesive that can be removed without a lot of trouble, if the cache becomes archived.

If the OP is hoping to use "Velcro", test it for a while. There are expensive alternatives to what you find in an office supply store, "Velcro" that might work outdoors. You definitely don't need to be scraping old glue off a sign several times a year.

But I like the idea of a secure, defined spot where a container can be easily put back in place. Several of my caches are like that. None of them are found by pulling a container's Velcro apart, since I never got that idea to work. I wrap a branch with Velcro, then the container is held by gravity or with magnets. I often wrap a micro tube in Velcro, because it creates a great surface for epoxy or other adhesive.

I also have stuck a little patch of Velcro under a picnic table when the actual container is nearby and not a Velcro hide. Just to be evil. :yikes:

Edited by kunarion

Welcome to the forum... I get a kick out of those people.

You are one of them.:ph34r:

Magnets don't stick to aluminum, or to wood, plastic, etc.

But a pair of magnets can still work: one magnet for the container, and one magnet for the attachment point.

How will you attach the magnet that goes on the attachment point... with velcro? :P
I've seen magnets used as kunarion described, with one magnet inside the container, and the other on the back side of the mounting surface. I've also seen magnets secured with tape or with zip ties. And I've probably seen a few other techniques, although none come to mind at the moment.