Galaxy Caching

All that can be said for certain is that it is a joke. What kind though is hard to say and open to interpretation. I do think that lots of hard work and creativity has gone into the listings but allowing folks to log finds that seem to be persisting right now is a little odd..............

What an embarrassment to the company. They play a joke, but are unable to write the code necessary to undo the damage done to those who fell for the joke.

How is it an embarrassment to the company? If they fully intended to scam the members and they succeeded how is that an embarrassment? The fact that the caches are not archived, or locked, and can still be logged says to me they fully expected the members to log the caches and they fully intend for the members to clean up after themselves the best they can. I think it is the members that should feel embarrassed.

Its either that or they are still working on better mistakes tomorrow, in which case they have made great strides. :)

What an embarrassment to the company. They play a joke, but are unable to write the code necessary to undo the damage done to those who fell for the joke.

How is it an embarrassment to the company? If they fully intended to scam the members and they succeeded how is that an embarrassment? The fact that the caches are not archived, or locked, and can still be logged says to me they fully expected the members to log the caches and they fully intend for the members to clean up after themselves the best they can. I think it is the members that should feel embarrassed.

Its either that or they are still working on better mistakes tomorrow, in which case they have made great strides. :)

I am really surprised that Groundspeak hasn't spoken up about this yet. :D

They did, in the blog. Miss Jenn pointed out how you can hide the souvenirs on Groundspeak, but your out of luck on Project-GC. If you don't want the find counts, delete your logs.

Why so serious? You mean why i think that people will cheat on Challenges?

Because i know some who have logged T5 caches but never were up on the trees, etc.

Sure it's like bear2006 wrote, it's just a game and when cachers fake their statistics with these 66 caches it's their personal thing, but it's not fair to the owners of the challengecaches.

And my intention did happen like bear2006 already wrote. >_<

Anyway... we will see how Groundspeak will handle this.

The GeoArt is nice, no question, and the listings are nice and funny.

So my previous post should not be offensive to the Lackeys/creators. :-)

Greetings from Austria and Happy Hunting.

I am sorry that my sarcasm didnt do the job. :huh:

They did, in the blog. Miss Jenn pointed out how you can hide the souvenirs on Groundspeak, but your out of luck on Project-GC. If you don't want the find counts, delete your logs.

Well, as I said, I didn't see my find count go down when I deleted a log. And even if it had, I still have Alabama as a state that is lit up, although I have never cached there, and I have Favorite points that I didn't earn. And hiding a souvenir is not the same as not having it.

I briefly looked at this thread when it was started the other day but didn't bother to see what it was about. Took a look today, followed the link mentioned near the top, and now see that it's nothing more than some Groundspeak silliness. Guess i'm a bit slow but i'm not sure what the April Fools joke is here. I didn't see anything entertaining or fun,,, just looks like something that a lot of people took, and are taking, advantage of to up their stats.

I'm not sure why people are up in arms about this so much. Groundspeak wanted to do an annual April Fool's joke. A lot of people put a lot of work into this. They didn't do it to upset anybody, they did it because they thought it was fun and that cachers would enjoy it. If it's not your cup of tea, then ignore it. But to say that Groundspeak should be embarrassed.....embarrassed by what? By not being a robot company and trying to have a little fun? :blink:

It's just some pixals on a map, some odd stats, etc. Nothing to get in a tizzy about. It makes me think of my favorite quote from The Thomas Crown Affair:

If some Houdini wants to snatch a couple of swirls of paint that are really only important to some very silly rich people, I don’t really give a (durn).

I don't understand the issue here. I don't think that souvenirs were ever intended as proof of accomplishments; the very word "souvenir" means "remembrance." Souvenirs are intended to remind you of where you have been and what you have done.

For the April 1 caches, the souvenirs might fulfill that very purpose. So it's important to recognize that they are not "wrong" in any absolute sense.

Now, if you don't want to keep a souvenir you inadvertently received on April 1, there is perhaps some kind of issue. I would advocate that Groundspeak allow cachers to permanently delete souvenirs that they don't want.

I don't understand the issue here. I don't think that souvenirs were ever intended as proof of accomplishments; the very word "souvenir" means "remembrance." Souvenirs are intended to remind you of where you have been and what you have done.

For the April 1 caches, the souvenirs might fulfill that very purpose. So it's important to recognize that they are not "wrong" in any absolute sense.

Now, if you don't want to keep a souvenir you inadvertently received on April 1, there is perhaps some kind of issue. I would advocate that Groundspeak allow cachers to permanently delete souvenirs that they don't want.

The people that are upset are the challenge cache owners. Go figure. <_<

When I looked at the list of these 66 caches I admired the listings and the GeoArt and assumed everybody would understand this was not to fool people but just a nice joke. I expected these logs to be gone automatically on 2nd April. I couldn't believe anyone would not have understood all these listings were fake so I did see no harm in logging them for the fun and keeping the GeoArt smileys as a souvenir picture. But now I am really disappointed:

1. If I understand well we will have to manually delete these logs, right?

2. How do you delete the souvenirs without being refused the same one when you actually log a real cache the next time you visit that country? My understanding is that if you delete a souvenir, it will be "deleted" for ever.

So if Groundspeak doesn't run a program to automatically delete these logs and "safely" deletes the souvenirs (allowing to be earned later), I don't feel fooled, but f***. Not funny at all. I have kept my statistics very neat to reflect my actual work in the field. This messes it all up. Again, not funny at all!

2. How do you delete the souvenirs without being refused the same one when you actually log a real cache the next time you visit that country? My understanding is that if you delete a souvenir, it will be "deleted" for ever.

So if Groundspeak doesn't run a program to automatically delete these logs and "safely" deletes the souvenirs (allowing to be earned later), I don't feel fooled, but f***. Not funny at all. I have kept my statistics very neat to reflect my actual work in the field. This messes it all up. Again, not funny at all!

1. No

2. No - you can't delete Souvenirs even if you wanted to, all you can do is "hide" them, and if you do that you have the option to "unhide" them at any time you wish.

April 2nd was a Saturday, and it's still the middle of Sunday night in Seattle, so give them a chance.

From what I've seen GS will revert all the logs and all the souvenirs but why does everyone think they should be in the office over the weekend tidying this up?

I wish everyone would keep a sense of proportion over this - nobody died, and even if it takes a week to tidy it up what difference does it make?

April 2nd was a Saturday, and it's still the middle of Sunday night in Seattle, so give them a chance.

From what I've seen GS will revert all the logs and all the souvenirs but why does everyone think they should be in the office over the weekend tidying this up?

I wish everyone would keep a sense of proportion over this - nobody died, and even if it takes a week to tidy it up what difference does it make?

No problem indeed.

They might have said something by now so who knows.... Regarding the weekend assuming they have tested what happens then surely it is just a case of ops running the script on a schedule <_< .

None at all unless people start thinking they qualify for challenges.

The people that are upset are the challenge cache owners. Go figure. dry.gif

Huh. I don't get that. If you want a challenge to reflect a certain achievement, than make the achievement the requirement. Using a souvenirs as proxies for achievements is just plain silly.

And what about challenge caches based on traveling? E.g. continents, countries, states. Now you can accomplish such a challenge without leaving your home. It is already happening. Or D/T matrix challenge caches. The D/T combination should not have been so high and they should have been placed within e.g. Washington state as this is the closest region. But maybe the joke would lost something, I don´t know.

Nonetheless these caches are really good joke. They have very good cache description and thus a lot of efforts had to be put into this caches.

Based on functionality, I would presume that souvenirs aren't awarded by scanning a user's entire history for souvenirs that should be given. I would presume that when a user logs a find, part of the log-creation script checks for any potential applicable souvenirs and then sets the user's flag to 1 so it appears (if it wasn't already awarded). It doesn't sound like each souvenir has a true/false verification script. At least not automated, since it's been described previously as a non-trivial task to remove invalid souvenirs.

If that's the case then, presuming only state souvenirs would ever be awarded for these caches, I'd think the removal script for the logs with souvenir re-verification would be something like:

1. Parse cache X - lock first, then collect all user IDs who logged it and have the state souvenir

2. Looping through the collected users, delete all their log(s) on the cache and determine if the user previously had the state souvenir (any other finds logged in the state); if not, remove the souvenir. Repeat this step for each user.

3. Repeat steps 1-2 for each cache in the series.

But if each cache was capable of awarding more than just state souvenirs, then it would be much more heavyweight:

1. Parse cache X - lock first, then collect all user IDs who logged it and have any souvenir(s) A,B,C related to the cache

2. Looping through the colelcted users, delete all their log(s) on the cache and run a verification query specific to each souvenir A,B or C to determine if the user previously had the souvenir(s); if not, remove it. Repeat this step for each user.

3. Repeat steps 1-2 for each cache in the series.

The visible flag of any adjusted souvenir would best remain at its current state, since this would only be removing souvenirs related to these caches that each user doesn't otherwise qualify for.

The ability to delete souvenirs, by the user or indirectly by COs deleting logs, and verification of souvenirs has been discussed in other threads as well. GS's implementation of souvenirs doesn't look to have taken into account that level of reverse verification; sounds like it's always been merely a trigger-style reward when logging a cache found, which is why they gave us the ability to hide them from view.

Edited by thebruce0

Everyone who logged these caches knew they had not signed the logs. If they have to live with unearned souvenirs, so what. As for qualifying for challenge caches, that is between them and the owner of the challenge. It is actually easier to determine if they qualify then if they had simply faked logs on random caches.

Edited by Team Taran

Would someone please be kind enough to explain what Galaxy Caching means?

Thanks.

Tony

http://coord.info/GC6E0HE

Thanks for the info.

So it is basically an April fools joke which over 4000 people have armchair logged.

How odd.

Either some are doing it because they know its a joke or some don't and will know that when it is all gone.

I have seen older Jokes from GS, and each time caches were locked and deleted after the joke!

So i logged those think they would be "deleted" they should have created a special "state" or "country" then have that Country be the cache location , "SPACE FISH" with aspecial "april fool" souvenir if logging all those, preventing them to be in our Regaular stats.... i try very hard to have honnest earned stats But i LIKED that joke so much that i took the bad wagon expecting to be all deleted after it ... looks liek we will be stuck with teh joke, we can delete ro make our log "notes" BUT Fav, and souvenirs will stay there, and i do not want to Hide since it will not be awarded again if condition is met later on....

Everyone who logged these caches knew they had not signed the logs. If they have to live with unearned souvenirs, so what. As for qualifying for challenge caches, that is between them and the owner of the challenge. It is actually easier to determine if they qualify then if they had simply faked logs on random caches.

+1

Kinda reminded me of when lab caches first came out.

Confusion, and uncertain of what'd happen, but logged 'em anyway. :laughing:

When I looked at the list of these 66 caches I admired the listings and the GeoArt and assumed everybody would understand this was not to fool people but just a nice joke. I expected these logs to be gone automatically on 2nd April. I couldn't believe anyone would not have understood all these listings were fake so I did see no harm in logging them for the fun and keeping the GeoArt smileys as a souvenir picture. But now I am really disappointed:

It's funny how people whine about this sort of thing possibly messing up their stats, yet they were the ones willingly logging these caches that either a) don't exist or B) they didn't find. You logged them. Whatever happens to your stats/souvenirs is on you, not GS.

Finding out about all this after the fact. Cool geo art.

Sadly, can't say I'm surprised by all the butt hurt posts. Why anyone would log a fake find on a cache and then expect Groundspeak to clean up their souvenirs and such is beyond me. And why challenge cache owners can't just add this to the list of known liar's caches that they also don't allow for challenges is also beyond me.

Almost forgot one. Why anyone who is not in one of the above classes would care, also beyond me.

Edited by hzoi

As someone that logged them all, I did it for fun. A lot of work went into the creation of the caches and I even tried to write a little unique log on each one (I got through half of them before going cut-n-paste). I even downloaded and played the Wherigo.

It is fully on me if I mess up my stats and souvenirs. Whatever HQ decides to do, I'm ok with that.

My only wish is that these were set up under the Lab Cache group. I was hoping that even though the displayed web content looks like regular caches, the background database had them listed as Lab Caches. This would have been a nice joke, allowed the GeoArt to remain, and not chewed up the stats.

As someone that logged them all, I did it for fun. A lot of work went into the creation of the caches and I even tried to write a little unique log on each one (I got through half of them before going cut-n-paste). I even downloaded and played the Wherigo.

It is fully on me if I mess up my stats and souvenirs. Whatever HQ decides to do, I'm ok with that.

My only wish is that these were set up under the Lab Cache group. I was hoping that even though the displayed web content looks like regular caches, the background database had them listed as Lab Caches. This would have been a nice joke, allowed the GeoArt to remain, and not chewed up the stats.

I second that.... That "joke" was VERY well created, and VERY funny, i took time to read almost all of the cache pages, i am a big SCI-FI Fan.... especially SW-ST-WHO And i played alog to do some creative logs at first.. them i realised that "souvenirs" were awarded and my "badgen" exploded with "uncalled" for badges.... so i reverted my logs for notes... BUT the souvenirs remained and badges were not "reseted" .. so since my data was already "fooled" i decided to log tem as found anyway... but i really would have apreciated if there were a way to revert those stats... i would have created a special "country/state" in Space, so would have created a special souvenirs only for the joke when all logged, them a script would have turned all logs into notes after the april 2nd.

From the blog:

[April 4,2016] Note: By end of day, all Found It logs on the space geocaches will be converted to notes and any souvenirs awarded for logging a space geocache will be removed. All of the space geocaches will be archived, but you will still be able to view them from this Bookmark List.

I had a lot of fun with them! Some had educational pages, some had easter eggs, some of the puzzles were nutty and some were genuine. Between my son and myself, we recognized (and explained to each other) the references to SF films, television, books, characters, and so on. The pages were nicely done, and many had us laughing out loud.

Most of the logs referenced April Fools, but many tried (until resorting to cut & paste) to create interesting logs. I logged a NM on a cache set on a desert planet,saying that I didn't know how the log book got soaked, OK, so mine was far from the most clever log - I liked the one guy who "lost half my crew, but got the cache." People dropped TBs and coins - on other planets. (They never be stolen!)

I'm amazed that anyone here would think that cachers logging these were being scammed - did we really believe that there were caches hidden on the Moon? Mars? Fictitious planets? In black holes? Caches that could only be found with the help of a time machine?

"So Groundspeak are tacitly condoning armchair logging"? "Fake logs"? "Violate all sorts of caching regulations"? Really, people? All the whining about a game no one forced you to play...

It may have been the world's largest multi-national participation in an April Fools joke. But apparently some people have never grown a sense of humor. Tsk.

Is it just pointing out that this is really all for nothing after all?

You mean, were you just reminded that there are no prizes being handed out? Shucks. You may need to re-read the quote you have in your signature:

"If you're not having fun playing this game, you're doing it wrong." - Clan Riffster

I had a lot of fun with them! Some had educational pages, some had easter eggs, some of the puzzles were nutty and some were genuine. Between my son and myself, we recognized (and explained to each other) the references to SF films, television, books, characters, and so on. The pages were nicely done, and many had us laughing out loud.

Most of the logs referenced April Fools, but many tried (until resorting to cut & paste) to create interesting logs. I logged a NM on a cache set on a desert planet,saying that I didn't know how the log book got soaked, OK, so mine was far from the most clever log - I liked the one guy who "lost half my crew, but got the cache." People dropped TBs and coins - on other planets. (They never be stolen!)

I'm amazed that anyone here would think that cachers logging these were being scammed - did we really believe that there were caches hidden on the Moon? Mars? Fictitious planets? In black holes? Caches that could only be found with the help of a time machine?

"So Groundspeak are tacitly condoning armchair logging"? "Fake logs"? "Violate all sorts of caching regulations"? Really, people? All the whining about a game no one forced you to play...

It may have been the world's largest multi-national participation in an April Fools joke. But apparently some people have never grown a sense of humor. Tsk.

You mean, were you just reminded that there are no prizes being handed out? Shucks. You may need to re-read the quote you have in your signature:

"If you're not having fun playing this game, you're doing it wrong." - Clan Riffster

I meant the entire game, not the April fools joke.

When people really start getting into this it's not something they want shoved in their face. Like showing an avid baseball fan that the ball players are really running in circles for nothing except to fill their own pockets. Let them live with thinking it means something and it's a much more fun game.

I think the caches were well done and creative.

When I told a friend that I loved the idea but would have appreciated it more had it of ended on the 2nd.

I told him a prank when taken too far goes from fun to annoying.

As a reply he rickrolled me.

I meant the entire game, not the April fools joke.

When people really start getting into this it's not something they want shoved in their face. Like showing an avid baseball fan that the ball players are really running in circles for nothing except to fill their own pockets. Let them live with thinking it means something and it's a much more fun game.

I think the caches were well done and creative.

When I told a friend that I loved the idea but would have appreciated it more had it of ended on the 2nd.

I told him a prank when taken too far goes from fun to annoying.

As a reply he rickrolled me.

Too funny. :laughing:

1. No

2. No - you can't delete Souvenirs even if you wanted to, all you can do is "hide" them, and if you do that you have the option to "unhide" them at any time you wish.

And, the caches are now locked, all the "finds" converted to "notes" and the stats back to normal.

From what I see on my profile they haven't made a very good job of cleaning up the souvenirs, but maybe that's a work in progress - in any case I can live with that.

Alsterdrache wrote in the German section:

"Ende gut, alles gut; es ist so, wie ich schon gesagt hatte:

Hi friend!

Thanks for reaching out to Geocaching HQ. All the new souvenirs that you acquired on April 1, 2016 as part of the April Fools joke will be removed in the next couple days. All the finds will be converted to "notes" and your statistics will update as well. Thanks for your patience and for playing along!

Best,

Carly

Community Manager"

Hi friend!

Thanks for reaching out to Geocaching HQ. All the new souvenirs that you acquired on April 1, 2016 as part of the April Fools joke will be removed in the next couple days. All the finds will be converted to "notes" and your statistics will update as well. Thanks for your patience and for playing along!

Best,

Carly

Community Manager"

I wonder what will happen to the TB logs - can anyone answer that?

Hi friend!

Best,

Carly

Community Manager"

And this is just the moment to quote that old saying: All's well that ends well!

:laughing:;)

I wonder what will happen to the TB logs - can anyone answer that?

Don't believe that has been corrected. Mileage is all over the place, as well as the labels for places they have been. The Google map, however does not appear to show that same data. For an example, you can check the logs of this one, starting on page 11 or so:

TB56CC3

I would note that this was not something which we chose to have happen to our TBs, rather it is something that others who participated in the joke forced on us by logging our TBs through the bogus caches. Many of the over three hundred TBs in our ZTB project (as well as other tbs that we own) were affected this way. While I recognize we can delete the logs, that is a lot of work for those of us who own many TBs.

Edited by Zekester & Simon
I would note that this was not something which we chose to have happen to our TBs, rather it is something that others who participated in the joke forced on us by logging our TBs through the bogus caches.

:rolleyes: It's your TB. You can delete the bogus logs and Recalculate the distance it has traveled.

I would note that this was not something which we chose to have happen to our TBs, rather it is something that others who participated in the joke forced on us by logging our TBs through the bogus caches.

:rolleyes: It's your TB. You can delete the bogus logs and Recalculate the distance it has traveled.

Yes we can. Perhaps you should read the line after the one you quoted. It is a lot of work fix that problem on numerous TBs. Given that we've paid a couple of thousand dollars for tags over time to Groundspeak, it does not seem unreasonable to us that they could fix the problem they caused, as opposed to burdening us with it.

I still do not get the joke here or how any of this was fun but to each his own i suppose. What i really can't understand is why someone would log a travelbug through one of these jokes. Whether GS was supposed to correct things afterwards or not, there was nothing good that could come from of doing this.

Take that back, i'm sure a lot of people are overjoyed that their travelbug(s) show more miles on them now... :lol:

I thought it was great! The Geoart was cool! Thanks for the effort!

I was glad I resisted the temptation to log any. I think it would have been even funnier if after logging one it told you that you had earned a souvenir for April Fools and then not given you anything. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: