Galaxy Caching

So if you log one of these does your new souvenir and D/T combo stand or will this all be deleted tomorrow? Anyone know?

Generally when they've done things like this in the past, they clean up all evidence of it after the fact. I'm not sure how they'll deal with people improperly getting the Washington souvenir, though. The souvenir system isn't robust enough for them to clean those up easily.

So if you log one of these does your new souvenir and D/T combo stand or will this all be deleted tomorrow? Anyone know?

Generally when they've done things like this in the past, they clean up all evidence of it after the fact. I'm not sure how they'll deal with people improperly getting the Washington souvenir, though. The souvenir system isn't robust enough for them to clean those up easily.

They are quite a ways off shore Perhaps the Washington polygon does not include that area, hence no souvenir.

Edit: After a bit of checking it is Nevada you get, not Washington. One would hope that the lackeys had enough foresight, bur I'm not placing a bet with Jimmy the Greek.

Edited by jholly

Likewise, i went ahead and logged them. You really have to appreciate the amount of creativity and effort it took to create these. Regardless of whether or not the finds get deleted it was interesting to read some of the cache pages. (I suspect that they will.) I was also hoping for a souvenir after logging them all but that didn't happen.

I logged all of them and then thought better of it and deleted them all, wont wait to see what happens. I find it a pity really, there is a lot of work gone into making these Cache listings with all the information and everything, also a nice Piece of artwork, well done to master of the universe.

When you deleted your logs did the souvenirs disappear too?

I logged all of them and then thought better of it and deleted them all, wont wait to see what happens. I find it a pity really, there is a lot of work gone into making these Cache listings with all the information and everything, also a nice Piece of artwork, well done to master of the universe.

I'm a little (but just a little) curious about that too.

If not, maybe the joke's on Groundspeak. :)

Sorry but I found this whole galaxy cache thing to be ridiculous. I honestly didn't know what it was supposed to be, and there was no real explanation, so just ignored it. My wife decided to do them, without me knowing. Since we started geocaching several years ago, we have always done it together and have equal finds. Now she is way ahead over something she did not have to even get up from her chair to do. Hopefully she will be able to delete them and has learned a lesson not to get involved with these silly little things she finds here. If I sound irritated, you bet I am.

I did one cause I know it's fake and I want to see what happens to it tomorrow.

Yeah, I logged one as well because I wanted to see what happens. The fact that the caches are awarding tons of souvenirs from all over the world, will make this experiment interesting. I was awarding a Finland souvenir on the one I did so I stopped there, not wanting to have all of them on my profile.

Sorry but I found this whole galaxy cache thing to be ridiculous. I honestly didn't know what it was supposed to be, and there was no real explanation, so just ignored it. My wife decided to do them, without me knowing. Since we started geocaching several years ago, we have always done it together and have equal finds. Now she is way ahead over something she did not have to even get up from her chair to do. Hopefully she will be able to delete them and has learned a lesson not to get involved with these silly little things she finds here. If I sound irritated, you bet I am.

Sounds like you should be irritated at your wife, not at Groundspeak. :P

I did one cause I know it's fake and I want to see what happens to it tomorrow.

Ditto. I was disappointed to get a Washington state souvenir I didn't actually earn.

Assuming they won't be deleted: you can go in and hide it, and when you legitimately earn it you can display it again. Granted, it won't show the correct earned date, but....

I didnt think about that. I just had a look and they are still there. Will look again later to see if they are gone.

Deleting the log will not delete the souvenir. That takes a HQ lackey intervention.

I didnt think about that. I just had a look and they are still there. Will look again later to see if they are gone.

Deleting the log will not delete the souvenir. That takes a HQ lackey intervention.

A better option might be to leave the logs as they stand, then when (I assume) GS go round and "tidy up" the logs they might (they certainly could) tidy up all the souvenir awards in the same run.

Just looked at the map and they are still there. Almost all of them have over 5000 finds.

On a side note: How many of those finds have been logged from Germany (or in German)? Just curious, maybe someone knows a rough number.

Edited by Rebore

A better option might be to leave the logs as they stand, then when (I assume) GS go round and "tidy up" the logs they might (they certainly could) tidy up all the souvenir awards in the same run.

Oh, it was quite funny. But can/will GS clean up the mess it made? Hope they have a plan to remove the souvenirs. But, from what I've seen of its programming, I have my doubts.

I too logged them all, just for fun, knowing, or at least expecting that they would all get deleted after the fact. If they don't, I do. They did something similar 2013, and I logged them too. I think they deleted the souvenirs too (at least I'm not seeing these souvenirs from the April Fools' Day 2013), so I think all the country/state based souvenirs will be deleted too. If not, I'll make it invisible or ask GS to delete them. BTW, the cache location (for the souvenirs, stats, etc.) is not determined by the coordinates of the listing. The cache owners can specify any country/state when the create the listing.

Yup. And coming up with a query that will remove souvenirs that were "earned" by those bogus caches, and *only* by those bogus caches (eg: not "earned" legitimately before or since) sounds like quite a challenge.

Oh, it was quite funny. But can/will GS clean up the mess it made? Hope they have a plan to remove the souvenirs. But, from what I've seen of its programming, I have my doubts.

Yup. Easy to delete the logs. Deleting the souvenirs, not so much, since they would not be able to rely simply on the fact that they found one of the April Fools caches to get the souvie. They would have to look through the user's entire history to see if they legitimately earned it before (or since!) logging the April 1 cache. I'm not so sure this was entirely thought out. I hope to be proven wrong.

Yup. Easy to delete the logs. Deleting the souvenirs, not so much, since they would not be able to rely simply on the fact that they found one of the April Fools caches to get the souvie. They would have to look through the user's entire history to see if they legitimately earned it before (or since!) logging the April 1 cache. I'm not so sure this was entirely thought out. I hope to be proven wrong.

Shouldn't be that difficult, they must already have the code to check if a user has earned a souvenir for a country - the one they run every time a new country souvenir is created; so it should be relatively simple to take that same code, and reverse the logic to remove the souvenir if there is no match,

From what I've heard (I haven't counted myself) there's only about 5000 people logged these caches so the whole delete logs, delete souvenirs shebang shouldn't take more than a seconds (or a minute or 2 at worst).

Shouldn't be that difficult, they must already have the code to check if a user has earned a souvenir for a country - the one they run every time a new country souvenir is created; so it should be relatively simple to take that same code, and reverse the logic to remove the souvenir if there is no match,

From what I've heard (I haven't counted myself) there's only about 5000 people logged these caches so the whole delete logs, delete souvenirs shebang shouldn't take more than a seconds (or a minute or 2 at worst).

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Basically it would be (for country-related souvies, anyway):

Select from users_logs_table where cache_country is one of list_of_countries_with_souvies and cache_id not one of list_of_bogus_caches (or something like that)

What if I truly found a cache in a new country that day?

This is kind of an interesting thing.

On one hand, yes this is just a game. Perhaps some of us need to take it more lightly.

On the other hand, these caches violate all sorts of caching regulations listed on this website. That's an interesting turn.

It's also kind of weird because normally people work so hard for those souvenirs and the darkened in map saying that you've found a cache in that place. But now you can get that with a stroke of a keyboard. It does seem to make all the rest a bit less legitimate. How do we know what is fake and what is really earned?

Does any of this really matter?

Is it just pointing out that this is really all for nothing after all?

This is kind of an interesting thing.

On one hand, yes this is just a game. Perhaps some of us need to take it more lightly.

On the other hand, these caches violate all sorts of caching regulations listed on this website. That's an interesting turn.

It's also kind of weird because normally people work so hard for those souvenirs and the darkened in map saying that you've found a cache in that place. But now you can get that with a stroke of a keyboard. It does seem to make all the rest a bit less legitimate. How do we know what is fake and what is really earned?

Does any of this really matter?

Is it just pointing out that this is really all for nothing after all?

Well I for one - am glad someone said it.

They removed all the Germany souvenirs when they deleted the logs for the armchair cache "Four Corners".

What if I truly found a cache in a new country that day?

That wouldn't matter. E.G. if you found a real cache in France, and also logged a Galaxy cache in France and a Galaxy cache in Turkey where you have never found a genuine cache. :-

Delete all the logs for all the Galaxy caches,

run a query to see if you have any finds in Turkey - No, so remove the Souvenir.

run a query to see if you have any finds in France - Yes (the one you genuinely found on the same day) so leave the souvenir intact.

It really shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes for someone who knows the database schema to come up with the correct queries, and it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to run the queries.

I really don't know what my find count was before I logged that one April Fools cache, but I just deleted my find on the one bogus cache that I logged on the 1st, and my find count did NOT go down. I then logged a find on the black hole earth cache, and my find did NOT go up. Are we certain that they have been adding to our Found It stats?

Now, it did add the Mississippi souvenir, and one other thing that I don't know if anyone has mentioned, but it added to my available favorite point count, as well.

Another great April Fools Day prank! Great geo-art and lovely cache pages; I appreciate the effort put into the prank. I joined in the fun and logged a find on a traditional cache on Mars, I complained about how hard it was to get to Mars but it was an easy find at the GZ. Apparently "Mars" equals Louisiana, I got a souvenir for that state and my map tab indicates 1 find in LA.

Now here it is, Sunday morning, and the joke log is gone, but the souvenir was still there and on my Stats page the Maps tab still shows a find in Louisiana!

The souvenir was easy to kill, but I'm still trying to delete the map entry....*sigh*

Looks like the joke was on me after all.....

Edited by bluelamb03

These caches are not an April joke, these are crap!

Until these logs are not deleted or changed into notes, a lot of cachers now can cheat on Challenges. For example a completed matrix challenge (if you have open fields and can fill them with these caches) where you just have to upload an screenshot from the statistics/matrix, etc.

I'm curious how Groundspeak will handle this.

Seems to me that Seattle is not thinking very much.

Just my opinion...

Edited by tirolersteff

I really don't know what my find count was before I logged that one April Fools cache, but I just deleted my find on the one bogus cache that I logged on the 1st, and my find count did NOT go down. I then logged a find on the black hole earth cache, and my find did NOT go up. Are we certain that they have been adding to our Found It stats?

Now, it did add the Mississippi souvenir, and one other thing that I don't know if anyone has mentioned, but it added to my available favorite point count, as well.

I logged one and my count definitely went up by one. There is a lag between logging and reflecting the change on your stats, try logging out and back in to clear the cache.

I see folks are still logging the caches.

It was a joke on April 1st (and maybe April 2nd, allowing for time zones), but it's indeed cr*p now that we have April 3rd.
Until these logs are not deleted or changed into notes, a lot of cachers now can cheat on Challenges. For example a completed matrix challenge (if you have open fields and can fill them with these caches) where you just have to upload an screenshot from the statistics/matrix, etc.
... which is what is actually happening where I live. GC5JG79 is a challenge where you have to find caches in 14 different countries within one calender year. The first jokers have already claimed to fulfill the challenge with their "April Fool" logs.

Of course it's just a game and all that. But nevertheless I hope that GS eventually deletes all the find logs (or converts them to notes) on these armchair caches.

It was a joke on April 1st (and maybe April 2nd, allowing for time zones), but it's indeed cr*p now that we have April 3rd.
... which is what is actually happening where I live. GC5JG79 is a challenge where you have to find caches in 14 different countries within one calender year. The first jokers have already claimed to fulfill the challenge with their "April Fool" logs.

Of course it's just a game and all that. But nevertheless I hope that GS eventually deletes all the find logs (or converts them to notes) on these armchair caches.

Why so serious? <_<

Why so serious? You mean why i think that people will cheat on Challenges?

Because i know some who have logged T5 caches but never were up on the trees, etc.

Sure it's like bear2006 wrote, it's just a game and when cachers fake their statistics with these 66 caches it's their personal thing, but it's not fair to the owners of the challengecaches.

And my intention did happen like bear2006 already wrote. >_<

Anyway... we will see how Groundspeak will handle this.

The GeoArt is nice, no question, and the listings are nice and funny.

So my previous post should not be offensive to the Lackeys/creators. :-)

Greetings from Austria and Happy Hunting.

Edited by tirolersteff