Release Notes (Website: Worldwide Search) - March 31, 2016

Read previous Release Notes

Release Notes - March 31, 2016

Say hello to worldwide search! Now, with just a few clicks, you can see a list of the most favorited geocaches or learn just how many Terrain 5 geocaches there are — in the world.

With this latest update, you can:

•  

• Find geocaches anywhere in the world based on keywords, D/T ratings, geocache types and more — no search origin needed.

• For Premium Members, the 30 mile/50 kilometer restriction on radius searches is gone.

• See an accurate count of matching results for all searches. (No more ‘15,000+’ limit.)

Also, we recently conducted testing of the logged-in homepage. After studying the results, it was determined that the Search page will be the logged-in homepage for all users. This change took effect a few days ago.

Ben H of HQ’s Product Team will follow this thread and try to answer Search questions when possible.

There seems to be a bug with the filter logic.

Searching for Corrected Coords [cc=1] gives me 4 caches.

Searching for Personal Cache Note [note=1] gives me 2 caches.

I expect hitting both radio buttons wold give me 6 caches, based on an OR logic (like all the other search items behave) :blink:

Unfortunately this search gives me 0 caches (that is based on an AND logic)

Is this by design (if so, why?) or is it just an overseen bug?

Hans

Edited by HHL

There seems to be a bug with the filter logic.

Searching for Corrected Coords [cc=1] gives me 4 caches.

Searching for Personal Cache Note [note=1] gives me 2 caches.

I expect hitting both radio buttons wold give me 6 caches, based on an OR logic (like all the other search items behave)

Unfortunately this search gives me 0 caches (that is based on an AND logic)

Is this by design (if so, why?) or is it just an overseen bug?

Hans

It seems more logical to AND the filters to me. If you chose the Corrected Coords and "that I haven't found" filters would you expect it to OR those choices, and therefore list all caches you haven't found plus all caches with corrected coords?

[....]

It seems more logical to AND the filters to me. If you chose the Corrected Coords and "that I haven't found" filters would you expect it to OR those choices, and therefore list all caches you haven't found plus all caches with corrected coords?

No. Right you are. Nevertheless these two buttons (cc and note radiobutton) should be ORed as a subgroup.

Hans

Say hello to worldwide search! Now, with just a few clicks, you can see a list of the most favorited geocaches or learn just how many Terrain 5 geocaches there are — in the world.

•  
  • Find geocaches anywhere in the world based on keywords, D/T ratings, geocache types and more — no search origin needed.

• For Premium Members, the 30 mile/50 kilometer restriction on radius searches is gone.

• See an accurate count of matching results for all searches. (No more ‘15,000+’ limit.)

That's fantastic! We'll likely never know what type of system you're using, but it's impressive that I can now do a search for all caches with "cache" in the name and find out there are 122812 such caches in the world in less than a second. That's some great performance. Good job on the part of the DBAs and developers!

Also, we recently conducted testing of the logged-in homepage. After studying the results, it was determined that the Search page will be the logged-in homepage for all users. This change took effect a few days ago.

I can't say that I'm too thrilled about this. I think my resistance is partly down to the search page just not looking like a homepage. Maybe if it was spruced up to include some other useful features from the profile page (like links to my geocaches, my lists, pending field notes etc.), I might like it better, but I guess then it wouldn't be just the search page (https://www.geocaching.com/play/search/) anymore.

BTW, now that the search tool is even more visible and more people will try to use it, it's more important than ever that documentation be readily available by putting a link to the FAQ right on the page. It's been well-documented by now that the tool isn't as intuitive as it could be, so users should be given as much assistance as possible to help them use it effectively.

Hmm. Seems to be yet another useless change done just for the sake of change. It's fun to view caches in areas I'll never get to, but a world-wide search has very little practical use.

And the home page thing? Bad idea. That new search is clunky, counter-intuitive, hopelessly limited, annoying and useless for anyone who doesn't live in an urban/suburban environment. Making it the first page for anyone who is logged in just rubs salt in the wound.

That's fantastic! We'll likely never know what type of system you're using, but it's impressive that I can now do a search for all caches with "cache" in the name and find out there are 122812 such caches in the world in less than a second. That's some great performance. Good job on the part of the DBAs and developers!

Like Erasmus said: "In regione caecorum rex est luscus.".

In other words, no rocket science. The world wide search - thus standard removing the geo spatial search, which can be the most performance problematic on certain db systems - is just a plain standard SQL. No need for in memory or column store db systems in order to achieve that.

Omitting logic operators and things like fuzzy search makes it even more a no-brainer.

Hmm. Seems to be yet another useless change done just for the sake of change. It's fun to view caches in areas I'll never get to, but a world-wide search has very little practical use.

And the home page thing? Bad idea. That new search is clunky, counter-intuitive, hopelessly limited, annoying and useless for anyone who doesn't live in an urban/suburban environment. Making it the first page for anyone who is logged in just rubs salt in the wound.

I guess you're from the US? With this search I can search specific caches all over Europe and plan a 10 countries in 1 day trip if I feel like it. Such a search would have been rather impossible with the old search functionality. Wonderful, great functionality for me B)

I guess you're from the US? With this search I can search specific caches all over Europe and plan a 10 countries in 1 day trip if I feel like it. Such a search would have been rather impossible with the old search functionality. Wonderful, great functionality for me B)

How many times would you do that?

If so, what would be the added value of a (new) search which doesn't offer any routing capabilities?

The only way to achieve that is to do some homework and look at a regular map in order to know which places to visit for visiting 10 countries. It's only after that has been done, you can look which caches to do in these cities.

Thus nothing different from the past.

How many times would you do that?

If so, what would be the added value of a (new) search which doesn't offer any routing capabilities?

The only way to achieve that is to do some homework and look at a regular map in order to know which places to visit for visiting 10 countries. It's only after that has been done, you can look which caches to do in these cities.

Thus nothing different from the past.

I don't see the issue with this 'Global search'. If you don't like a large region to be in the results, set a max distance...

[bUG] using the search function, asking for all caches within 50 miles of my home coords, returns NO events.

I noticed this on filtering by Date Found, I'd expect the events to rise to the top.

Using the same search center and radius (50 miles) editing from "all caches", to Events only, there are 7 within the 50 miles.

As i start adding back other cache types to the search, I lose events.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

[bUG] using the search function, asking for all caches within 50 miles of my home coords, returns NO events.

I noticed this on filtering by Date Found, I'd expect the events to rise to the top.[...]

Hit the Placed On column title. ;-)

And you will automagically see the events.

Hans

I noticed this on filtering by Date Found, I'd expect the events to rise to the top.[...]

Hit the Placed On column title. ;-)

And you will automagically see the events.

Hans

DOh!

So the bug is simply that the "Last Found" sorting doesn't work the same for this search as for "old" search....

Thanks Hans

[...]

So the bug is simply that the "Last Found" sorting doesn't work the same for this search as for "old" search....

Thanks Hans

It's not a bug. The NewSearch just delivers what you're would expect to see: caches with found logs (asc or desc).

The bug actually is with the old search. It gives you unfound caches where you'd expect a found date.

That said: the Placed On is a pretty good enhancement in searching.

Hans

Kudos for being able to create a new list from the Search Results page. This is a great addition to being able to add results to current lists.

BUT,

I'm still waiting for the Select All/Deselect All option. The list is of little use when one wants all 176 listings from the search added to a list.

The NewSearch just delivers what you're would expect to see: caches with found logs (asc or desc).

The bug actually is with the old search. It gives you unfound caches where you'd expect a found date.

While this does make some sense (don't show unfound caches when sorting by a "Last Found" column), I think the current sorting logic is inherently illogical.

Currently, regardless of whether the "Last Found" column is sorted in ascending or descending order, the unfound caches/events are always at the end of the list. I expect most people would assume that if the unfound caches are at either the top or bottom of the list with a given sorting order (it could be debated which location would make the most sense), that they should appear at the opposite location when the sorting is reversed. That's how the old list pages worked, but that isn't what happens with the new list.

It just seems odd to me to have a subset of the list's contents be silently excluded from the sorting.

Say hello to worldwide search!

Can you please maybe consider bringing back the option of turning what the map displays into a POCKET QUERY?

Yes, I am one of the old fashioned cachers who use a real GPS, not a mobile phone, and I don't care squat about lists or offline bookmarks or backpacks or listicles or whatever.

If I can't load a search result into GSAK, I don't use. Period.

Can you please maybe consider bringing back the option of turning what the map displays into a POCKET QUERY?

Yes, I am one of the old fashioned cachers who use a real GPS, not a mobile phone, and I don't care squat about lists or offline bookmarks or backpacks or listicles or whatever.

You can save the results to a list and then create a PQ from that. It isn't quite as direct as making a PQ from the search results, but it's only one step removed and not much more time-consuming.

You can save the results to a list and then create a PQ from that. It isn't quite as direct as making a PQ from the search results, but it's only one step removed and not much more time-consuming.

But you have to individually select each cache on the result page to add them to a list. I wonder why a 'Select All' option isn't there.

[*]Find geocaches anywhere in the world based on keywords, D/T ratings, geocache types and more — no search origin needed.

[*]For Premium Members, the 30 mile/50 kilometer restriction on radius searches is gone.

I think this is a great improvement to the Advanced Search functionality. I'm glad to see that some of the issues cachers have noted about the Advanced Search are being addressed, albeit in piecemeal fashion.

I think it's also an interesting commentary on the site's users. There was a lot of uproar about the geographical limitations in the Advanced Search when it was first deployed. Posters complained that the 30 mile/50 km limitation was too small and that it wasn't possible to search the entire US/Germany. Now that those limitations have been removed, then cachers are complaining that the expanded geography is unnecessary. It just goes to prove that it's never possible to please everyone.

Still no check box to select all results to add them to a list?

I'm still waiting for the Select All/Deselect All option. The list is of little use when one wants all 176 listings from the search added to a list.

This functionality seems to be on the list, although it would be great to have some type of timeline. Even if it's a conservative deployment date. Under promise, over deliver.

Edited by noncentric

Still no check box to select all results to add them to a list?

This functionality seems to be on the list, although it would be great to have some type of timeline. Even if it's a conservative deployment date. Under promise, over deliver.

This functionality is coming. The complexity involved is greater than you might think at first glance. The page only loads the first 50 results and then auto-loads more as you scroll down through the results. The "Select All" needs to be engineered to identify and select caches that have not yet loaded.

I've got a question, and the thread for March 9th is locked so I can't ask it there.

When Groundspeak says "For those who currently have the app, it will be supported at least through June 2016." regarding the Classic app, what does that mean exactly?

I have both the Android and iPhone versions of this app, and as long as I don't let Google Play or The App Store update anything, what can I expect to happen after June 2016?

Like the post above, I also have a suggestion regarding the former Premium App (Now the classic app). Because the 9 march topic is closed I will post it here.

I started GeoCaching last year and after using the Free app for a while, i decided to go 'premium' and bought the Premium app without extra membership (This app is now known as the Classic app).

When I bought the classic app, I realized I could go even more premium by adding a premium membership to my already paid premium app, but... I did not need a membership with occasional caching. I was happy with the premium, ehh Classic app because it allows me to view all the caches that have a difficulty/terrain rating higher than a 1.5/1.5. The only limitation I experienced was that some 'Premium caches' weren't visible because I didn't have a premium membership.

I can fully understand that you merge both old apps in one new app. But why are you taking functionality away from users that have paid for it? I'm not willing to pay a premium monthly/ annual membership to access caches higher than 1.5 D/T. I'm an occasional cacher! Nothing more, nothing less. If this functionality lock won't disappear for people who have paid for the former Premium app functionality, then I have to end my geocaching adventure when the 'classic app' isn't functioning anymore.. (unless third party developers like geosphere or L4C still provide paid premium apps without membership plans)

In all seriousness, I want to know how members can have our voices heard on the app issue. As I said in the March 9 thread, I am an iPhone "power user". I've found almost all of my caches, and do almost all of my searches, with the iPhone app and I am beyond frustrated with the recent changes. And this isn't resistance to change. Functionality that I literally use every day has been taken away with the new app. But at least I still have the Classic app for some remaining time (whatever this June deadline means). Now, someone who'd been asking me a lot about geocaching decided to install the app and I am appalled at the lack of caches available to non-premium members. If this is some kind of ploy to force newbs into becoming premium members it is backfiring spectacularly. How is my friend ever supposed to become interested in the game enough to fork over $30 if he is limited to non-PMO 1.5/1.5 caches? Groundspeak, I love you but you've been completely tone-deaf on this one. Please listen to those of us out here using these products. We don't want much. We just don't want things that were already available taken away. Seriously. Call me. I'd be happy to fill you in. I think you have my number.

If this is some kind of ploy to force newbs into becoming premium members it is backfiring spectacularly. How is my friend ever supposed to become interested in the game enough to fork over $30 if he is limited to non-PMO 1.5/1.5 caches?

Use one of the other apps and the 1.5/1.5 limit is gone. The only limit then is not seeing PM caches.

If this is some kind of ploy to force newbs into becoming premium members it is backfiring spectacularly. How is my friend ever supposed to become interested in the game enough to fork over $30 if he is limited to non-PMO 1.5/1.5 caches?

Use one of the other apps and the 1.5/1.5 limit is gone. The only limit then is not seeing PM caches.

I use Looking4Cache for iPhone, and it does in fact remove the D/T restrictions. You are limited to traditional only caches though and they are compliant with the live API.

Traditional only caches cover roughly 90 percent of the caches though.

In all seriousness ... We don't want much. We just don't want things that were already available taken away. Seriously. Call me. I'd be happy to fill you in. I think you have my number.

Couldn't be more agree with DinaWorks.

Please don't exclude members who have invested in the classic (former Premium) app and force these members into premium memberships or 'freemium' memberships. Realize that these members paid for premium app functionality and 1.5/1.5 + caches.

The solution could be simple: offer an 'in-between' option like there has always been with the former separate apps:

Combine three levels of membership into one app with paid upgrades:

Level 1: free introduction level, only a few caches to find.

Level 2: paid upgrade (e.g. $10,-) with more functionality and all caches above 1.5/1.5.

Level 3: like level 2 but with a subscription plan for upgrade to all functions and access to all premium caches.

Finally, all the functionality from the classic app should at least be available in the current new app.

If you're more enthusiastic, Geosphere is by far the most capable app, but has a higher learning curve because of all its features and abilities. And the current developer, while handling the app amazingly to its current state, has been AWOL for a while, but promises a new significant version upgrade is in the works. Worth every penny of its price, and boasts a very helpful forum community for questions and tips and tricks (so many tricks to make use of its flexible features and cross-app communications)

Edited by thebruce0

If you're more enthusiastic, Geosphere is by far the most capable app, but has a higher learning curve because of all its features and abilities. And the current developer, while handling the app amazingly to its current state, has been AWOL for a while, but promises a new significant version upgrade is in the works. Worth every penny of its price, and boasts a very helpful forum community for questions and tips and tricks (so many tricks to make use of its flexible features and cross-app communications)

If he is still using this I know of one obsessive geocacher who loves the Geosphere over the GC app.

I've used Looking4Cache since the day I started caching 3 years ago. Other friends use Cachly and are extremely happy.

With other apps seemly "getting it right", Groundspeak seems to be taking a step backwards.

I just downloaded Looking4Cache and I like it. I will be recommending it to my newb friend. Thanks!

Any news or updates?

This morning I had yet another friend ask which app to use for geocaching. I want to be able to suggest the official geocaching app. But it's my understanding that it doesn't allow her to search for my simple mystery caches or anything above 1.5/1.5. Philosophically, that's wrong. That is not how you recruit new people into the game.

And given the lack of official comments recently, I sounds like the geocaching officials bought the software development snake oil of what will be available when. (said as a computer science/software engineering professor)

Please change your mind and make the paid app available again.

You'll get an infusion of cash (especially if you drop the price to $3). Then listen to geocachers and make the new app really usable. Create real use-cases for beginners and experienced cachers as well as unpaid and premium members in a variety of places including out in the woods with no cel phone connection.

This morning I had yet another friend ask which app to use for geocaching. I want to be able to suggest the official geocaching app. But it's my understanding that it doesn't allow her to search for my simple mystery caches or anything above 1.5/1.5. Philosophically, that's wrong. That is not how you recruit new people into the game.

Best thing to do is to use a 3rd party app (look at API partners) and never look back.

Curious when you remember any version of the free GC app to work differently.

Though I'd love to see it, the way this app thing has taken off just the last few years, I don't see recruitment slowing down any time soon. :)

When we first started, the only app we found available at the time cost us 30. bucks a year on top of the 30. for pm.

This new one's a savings today, yet same as the (another soon to be discontinued) Windows app we've already had for a coupla years. ;)

Edited by cerberus1

Though I'd love to see it, the way this app thing has taken off just the last few years, I don't see recruitment slowing down any time soon. :)

When we first started, the only app we found available at the time cost us 30. bucks a year on top of the 30. for pm.

This new one's a savings today, yet same as the (another soon to be discontinued) Windows app we've already had for a coupla years. ;)

I bought the paid app years ago for my iPhone. And I've been a premium member for almost 11 years now. But I thought the free/intro app had info about more caches than just plain 1.5/1.5.

I bought the paid app years ago for my iPhone. And I've been a premium member for almost 11 years now. But I thought the free/intro app had info about more caches than just plain 1.5/1.5.

1.5/1.5 or less traditionals.

They could see the others (called "advanced" IIRC), and even pmo (to an extent) on the map, but couldn't access any of them.

This new app's basic version (like the old Intro) are simply teasers, meant to get folks interested, and cough up the bucks for a pm (Similar to Intro/the paid app). :)

They could see the others (called "advanced" IIRC), and even pmo (to an extent) on the map, but couldn't access any of them.

This new app's basic version (like the old Intro) are simply teasers, meant to get folks interested, and cough up the bucks for a pm (Similar to Intro/the paid app). :)

1.5/1.5 traditional junk is hardly suitable for getting folks interested, except numbers people. It's more to keep the cache owners of other caches silent.

The old paid app was not free but it was a one time payment in contrast to PM-ship where people have now to cancel a subscription (which they might not even be aware of that this can be done without additional costs). Of course the website can be used to see more caches which will help someone to decide whether or not they like geocaching.

1.5/1.5 traditional junk is hardly suitable for getting folks interested, except numbers people. It's more to keep the cache owners of other caches silent.

The old paid app was not free but it was a one time payment in contrast to PM-ship where people have now to cancel a subscription (which they might not even be aware of that this can be done without additional costs). Of course the website can be used to see more caches which will help someone to decide whether or not they like geocaching.

Not sure what it amounts to near you, but here most maintained park trails are 1.5/1.5.

We've met a good number of new people who, not really knowing what they're missing in other terrains/types, found 1.5/1.5 traditionals to be a fun weekend.

Edited to add...

I used to be a bit arrogant like that, until I found years later that I was missing out on lengthy hikes in nice areas simply because I was hung up on the terrain being at least a 2.

Edited by cerberus1

Today I got an email notification about a new mystery cache. The message was very brief.

Go find :

In the source code I found this

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

R28gZmluZCA6IA==

Few days ago I got a slightly longer email.

Go find GC6J14E: http://coord.info/GC6J14E

(As you see, I do not read the HTML formatted email for security reasons.)

I hope that this is just a temporary feature. May be there could be some more fields in the plain text formatted part but even the link would be fine. :rolleyes:

Today I got an email notification about a new mystery cache. The message was very brief.

Go find :

In the source code I found this

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

R28gZmluZCA6IA==

Few days ago I got a slightly longer email.

Go find GC6J14E: http://coord.info/GC6J14E

(As you see, I do not read the HTML formatted email for security reasons.)

I hope that this is just a temporary feature. May be there could be some more fields in the plain text formatted part but even the link would be fine. :rolleyes:

It seems to have returned to its previous spartan content.