Offline Lists & Maps

Anteaus

It's great that we have Offline Lists now for the new app, but in no way is it as functional as the Classic app. Two things really bug me, one is that if I look at any of these lists, I can't find a way to display them in a Map View. Also, when navigating to any cache (offline or not) where is the option for OpenCycleMap? That map is almost a necessity when you are in a large park and are going from cache to cache and want to see which trail you should take.

So I'm having trouble with this offline map mode. I'm new to geocaching, only a month into it. I upgraded to premium yesterday on my iphone. I logged into the geo website, learnt how to make a list, added a couple of local caches to it, opened app to find them on the list tab section, then when I hit the download offline maps the app crashes every single time. I've deleted the lists, made new ones, I've deleted the app, reinstalled the app, none of this has helped!

Is this a common issue? is there a solution? I've messaged support, so far the first reply was uninstall the app as you probobaly have an old version, I don't its version 3.9.1 the current IOS version of the app! I've replied saying that, so I'll see what they say, but it would be good to know if others have the same problem?!

Totally agree. Also when I'm using my downloaded offline lists I have no map. The map doesn't seem to be downloaded, just the cache data. That explains the lightening fast download of a 400 cache list unfortunately.

So, are we supposed to get the mapping function? I use three things most often in the good (old) app--offline lists (but not from my list--from a communal list that I went to and added to my offline lists in the old app, something you cannot do now); offline maps (which have actually saved me getting lost driving when I'm not in cell range, not to mention helping me navigate to caches); and personal geocache notes which barely worked before but aren't even present now.

So I'm having trouble with this offline map mode. I'm new to geocaching, only a month into it. I upgraded to premium yesterday on my iphone. I logged into the geo website, learnt how to make a list, added a couple of local caches to it, opened app to find them on the list tab section, then when I hit the download offline maps the app crashes every single time. I've deleted the lists, made new ones, I've deleted the app, reinstalled the app, none of this has helped!

Is this a common issue? is there a solution? I've messaged support, so far the first reply was uninstall the app as you probobaly have an old version, I don't its version 3.9.1 the current IOS version of the app! I've replied saying that, so I'll see what they say, but it would be good to know if others have the same problem?!

I'm also having this problem, crashes every time I try to open one of my lists!!!! I'm going back to using the old app because of this issue. Lists are of no use if the app won't open them! I have also deleted and reinstalled the app even though I had the most up to date version. Not seen many others having this problem though so not sure if it'll get flagged enough for GS?

By now (March '17) we have downloadable maps with our downloadable lists, and the "Drafts" replacement for Field Notes.

With Drafts, we actually finally have an improvement over the "classic" app -- the Drafts automatically upload to the website (looking exactly like Field Notes with the same options). This is an improvement over my wife having to remember to upload the Field Notes manually from her non-cellular-leashed iPad Mini after a day of caching and drafting. In addition, I can make my own changes to the drafts inside the app on my phone or iPad (I use a Garmin to actually cache hunt) without having go to the website.

However, it now comes to our attention (after one day of finally caching with the new app) that we are unable to delete individual caches from the list (PQ), as we have always done with the old app. So we are unable to see at a glance the progress we have made clearing out a hole in the map, and must keep track of finished caches by name so we don't go hunting for the same one twice. (Not a significant problem, but still irritating that we can't just delete caches from the list once we have made a Draft Log.

Edited by MMGeoGeezer

It's great that we have Offline Lists now for the new app, but in no way is it as functional as the Classic app. Two things really bug me, one is that if I look at any of these lists, I can't find a way to display them in a Map View. Also, when navigating to any cache (offline or not) where is the option for OpenCycleMap? That map is almost a necessity when you are in a large park and are going from cache to cache and want to see which trail you should take.

To see your list on the map you can either:

A. Tap on the "..." icon to the right of the list name in your lists section and tap "View on Map"

or

B. Tap into the list and hit the map icon in the upper right of the screen

As for OpenCycleMap, we have a new map type called "Trails"* in the app that has trail data (which is free for us to use because we host it). Could you detail the advantages of OCM over Trails?

Thanks!

*You can change map types by tapping the circular stacked map button on the map.

I am using an iphone 6s and with the new app I can not find a place to write Personal Notes on a cache. I use this to record information about the cache that I would not post to the public. Does anyone know how and where I can post these personal notes?

I too have this complaint and would like to get Groundspeak to add this functionality to the new iPhone app. There is another thread. Search under "Personal Cache Note" and add your opinion there. Hopefully it will be added.

For me the new app is not satisfying what concerns the options of selecting maps. Especially the missing open cycle maps - OCM which was available in the old app is a big disadvantage.

OCM is offering much more details on trails, paths, especially in non urban areas compared to the TRAILS maps offered in the new app, In addition to this advantage it is also the visual style that is appreciated when using OCM.

Lets give a practical example. You are in a forest looking for a series of caches.

With OCM my experience was that OCM always could provide information on relevant walking or cycling paths to get finally to the cache. In such areas you cannot always choose the shortest direct way to the cache. You need a map with information on tracking paths to get to the target and to aboid dangerous situations.

OCM is a must for the new app. I paid for the old app which included OCM for online and offline use. So the new app should have as a minimum the features of the old one including OCM maps.

I am using an iphone 6s and with the new app I can not find a place to write Personal Notes on a cache. I use this to record information about the cache that I would not post to the public. Does anyone know how and where I can post these personal notes?

I too have this complaint and would like to get Groundspeak to add this functionality to the new iPhone app. There is another thread. Search under "Personal Cache Note" and add your opinion there. Hopefully it will be added.

I agree. I use Personal Cache Notes to note any hints that are given by geochecker. I hate not being able to access those in the field.

Lists downloaded for offline use seem fine at home when downloaded. Out in the field, when the list is accessed the phone downloads again! Taking this app overseas and trying to use offline lists and maps will be very frustrating if everything looks good at home and fails to function abroad. Suggestions?

Hi

I am using an iPhone 4s for caching.

Mostly I save lists for caching offline, as many places we go have no mobile phone signal.

On the new app I am unable to do this on my phone.

My wifes iPhone 5 allows this.

I am a premium member.

Does this mean I have to purchase a new phone just to carry on caching.

Thanks

Dentoz