GeoArt - Puzzle Distance

RatoLibre

Hi everyone,

I am designing some puzzles for a geoart to showcase interesting places in my city. I decided to focus on green areas (like parks), one for each commune (adm. division here). As the geoart will be in a specific zone in the middle of the city (so it's understandable on the map), the distance from the geoart points to the real places has to be way more than the 2 miles limit. The caches will be hidden within range from the Municipal Office in that commune.

kXBWUDU.png

(Places are for the example only)

The question is: Am I allowed to do this? I've seen a couple of caches that break the "2-mile from reference point" rule, like the antipodal ones ("Go Straight" & "R e f l e c t i o n s") and I'm sure there are some more; so, if I make clear in the description that the cache is within 2miles from the corresponding Municipal Office, even when the listed distance is way more, can I publish that geoart collection?

Thanks in advance :)

No, you would not be able to have a Mystery/Puzzle cache published if its actual location is more than two miles from the posted coordinates.

What about a letterbox/hybrid? A starting location which would be virtual, appears on the map. Instead of something like "travel to the bench. Go 150 feet west. Etc)" why not driving directions? "From the park drive 3 blocks east. Drive south to XYZ street, head about 1/4 mile and you will be near a fence pole with reflective tape. That's where the final is" Or would that be pushing it too much?

No, you would not be able to have a Mystery/Puzzle cache published if its actual location is more than two miles from the posted coordinates.

I see. I'll probably drop the geoart idea in the meantime, and think about a cache's series.

BTW, I'd still like to know how the mentioned caches got away with that. Were they published before a change in the rules regarding max distance?

What about a letterbox/hybrid? A starting location which would be virtual, appears on the map. Instead of something like "travel to the bench. Go 150 feet west. Etc)" why not driving directions? "From the park drive 3 blocks east. Drive south to XYZ street, head about 1/4 mile and you will be near a fence pole with reflective tape. That's where the final is" Or would that be pushing it too much?

That's a good idea, but too far from what I was thinking, since I've already designed about 20 puzzles.

I see. I'll probably drop the geoart idea in the meantime, and think about a cache's series.

BTW, I'd still like to know how the mentioned caches got away with that. Were they published before a change in the rules regarding max distance?

That's a good idea, but too far from what I was thinking, since I've already designed about 20 puzzles.

Could have been published before. Or by mistake. It really doesn't matter. Guidelines basically say "because a cache has been approved or denied in the past, is not reason that the same thing will be approved or denied in the future." In short, you can't say "well that person did it so I should be able to"

I've seen puzzle caches published with a distance of more than 2 miles between the posted coordinates and the actual location. Generally, there was a good reason for the exception, and the CO made every effort to minimize the distance in excess of 2 miles.

Still, it isn't something you should count on. It is a favor that may be granted. Or it may not. Probably not.