App upgrade not so good

I don't know if anyone else has the same issues with the new app...I mean right from the start since it was first introduced a few months ago. I find that it is a bit unresponsive and slow. It seems to be "loading geocaches" for quite a long time. Zooming-in to the map, it does not respond right away, have to slide my fingers across the screen over and over....When selecting individual geocaches it is necessary to touch the cache icon several times before it gets 'selected' and pops up...when trying to navigate to the cache, once again I have to click on it several times. Once I am done with it and want to de-select it, it is nearly impossibe to do...it keeps re-selecting itself. I also don't like the page where the cache details are listed...Geocache description and hint are also sometime not very responsive on first try. I love my iPhone and don't have this issue with other aps and never had any issue with the older 'classic' version of Geocaching. Anybody else?

Since the new app is there I am experiencing problems like:

* not showing me all the caches in the area

* loading for a long time and then telling me there are NO caches

* I have to put the GC code in (my friend uses an Android phone, app works on that) to finally make it show the cache

This doesn't make geocaching more fun! The app for iPhone could really do with improvement!

* I have to put the GC code in (my friend uses an Android phone, app works on that) to finally make it show the cache

This doesn't make geocaching more fun! The app for iPhone could really do with improvement!

Yup. All of the above. Thought maybe it was my phone so did the new update. No change. App is buggy. Waiting for my membership to run out and will find something new. Pain in the rear.

Yup. All of the above. Thought maybe it was my phone so did the new update. No change. App is buggy. Waiting for my membership to run out and will find something new. Pain in the rear.

Are you saying that you'll quit geocaching when your Premium Membership expires? Why leave the hobby just because one app doesn't work well for you? This link will show a list of other approved apps that might make the game enjoyable for you: https://www.geocaching.com/mobile/partners/

I've been using the "Classic" Geocaching app from the day it came available on the iPhone. In the beginning it wasn't all that great, and it took several YEARS to become the app it now is (or was). Quite usable and complete. Although there were some features I never saw implemented (probably because they were very hard to realize) like the ability to add pictures to a field note for example. And there were things implemented in ways I never understood like making a "real" log standard behavior in favorite of a field note. Field notes should get WAY more attention from Groundspeak. As the log is the only reward the CO gets from a found Groundspeak should encourage cachers to write a nice log. Something that isn't very often done on the small screen of a "smart device".

After checking out the "New" Geocaching app for some time now I'm astonished to find out that the field note functionality has been left out completely! Together with the crippled functionality for the free members this shows what it's all about nowadays at GSHQ.

And oh boy... how slow has this app become! Even at home on WIFI it takes ages for the caches to show up on the map. And all the animated bouncing style page scrolling make the app laggy and unresponsive on my not really THAT old iPhone 5s.

I've the impression 90% of the effort went to esthetic redesign and 10% to the functionality behind it. And that is well... just dreadful.

I understood from another topic that GS has the intention to implement all the functionality from the "old" app in the "new" one. Well... if I see how many years it took to get the "old" app to the level it's now I won't be holding my breath on the time we have to wait to get the "new" one fully functional.

As above mentioned, and in a lot of other threads, a lot of users were, and are, quit happy with the 'old' app.

GC should ask:

- is there a need to create a (read 'the') new app?

- can there be a poll organise to get feedback if users are in prefference of the old or the new app?

- clear information on what will happen after 'june 16', when the old app will not longer be available?

Regards

Kris

(A pleased 'old'app user)

It feels pointless to add another comment regarding the PAID FOR old app being great and the new app being pretty rubbish in comparison. It really feels like the only thing that GC cares about is dollars and not its users.

From what I can tell, the old app has been removed in spite of users including myself paying for it (feels like Google/Nest and Revolv). The replacement is pointless without paying a lot for premium membership, and all third party apps are equally crippled without being a premium member.

As it turns out I upgraded to premium because I enjoyed geocaching, not because someone forced me to.

Jonathan (disgruntled)

GC should ask:

- is there a need to create a (read 'the') new app?

- can there be a poll organise to get feedback if users are in prefference of the old or the new app?

- clear information on what will happen after 'june 16', when the old app will not longer be available?

The first two questions are moot, because the old app has already been pulled from the App Store and the new app is now THE app, for better or worse. As for the third question, the app may continue to work after June, but Groundspeak won't guarantee that it will.

As stated by many people on the forum, the new app is just not ready for prime-time. Features are missing, it is slow to load and it takes a lot more scrolling to have all relevant information regarding a cache. Also to new geo-cachers it is very weird to explain that you can see more caches on the website than on the phone.

It is a trend in software industry to "release something new" because some programmer likes to amuse their selves with new frameworks and they forget there are actually users on the field using this software. Can you imagine Microsoft saying "He guys we have a new version of MS-Excel but a few formula's are not supported yet. We will not support the old version anymore but please be patient and wait for the new upcoming versions!".

Groundspeak wants to make some more money but they should have updated the "old" app which actually works. Let me be clear. I have no problem paying Groundspeak for Geocaching but even as a premium member the new app is not fun to work with. Non of my colleague geo-cachers do prefer the new app over the old one.

Unfortunately, since the old app is pulled from the app-store I have only one option and that is to recommend using a third party app.

As stated by many people on the forum, the new app is just not ready for prime-time. Features are missing, it is slow to load and it takes a lot more scrolling to have all relevant information regarding a cache. Also to new geo-cachers it is very weird to explain that you can see more caches on the website than on the phone.

It is a trend in software industry to "release something new" because some programmer likes to amuse their selves with new frameworks and they forget there are actually users on the field using this software. Can you imagine Microsoft saying "He guys we have a new version of MS-Excel but a few formula's are not supported yet. We will not support the old version anymore but please be patient and wait for the new upcoming versions!".

Groundspeak wants to make some more money but they should have updated the "old" app which actually works. Let me be clear. I have no problem paying Groundspeak for Geocaching but even as a premium member the new app is not fun to work with. Non of my colleague geo-cachers do prefer the new app over the old one.

Unfortunately, since the old app is pulled from the app-store I have only one option and that is to recommend using a third party app.

Does anyone have a list of "Third Party Apps" that are out there?

Are you saying that you'll quit geocaching when your Premium Membership expires? Why leave the hobby just because one app doesn't work well for you? This link will show a list of other approved apps that might make the game enjoyable for you: https://www.geocaching.com/mobile/partners/

Today my Premium membership is expired. As long as the new app is still working so bad and everything I held dear to the old app I will not renew my membership.

I have other App's tried >> no comparison

I have all my geocaches (more than 2000) with the iphone found.

I want no other (additional) device use and would prefer to stop geocaching as gets a GPS or to buy an Android smartphone.

Even the new Groundspeak search page is compared to the "old" really bad. I do not like. Now even the bad app, why should I pay money for this.....