Finding coordinates without gps

wolfy04040

Hi,

I am planning to place a geocache and i know the general area, but I don't have a handheld gps. Is there any way I can find it (my current location) on my iPhone without having to buy a gps?

Some caches (let say one is in a parking lot in a lampost skirt.)Also, you can see where the cache is on Google Maps, etc. sometimes I do that because I absolutely know where the cache is.

Hi,

I am planning to place a geocache and i know the general area, but I don't have a handheld gps. Is there any way I can find it (my current location) on my iPhone without having to buy a gps?

Some caches (let say one is in a parking lot in a lampost skirt.)Also, you can see where the cache is on Google Maps, etc. sometimes I do that because I absolutely know where the cache is.

I also forgot that on the Geocaching App, you can press any cache, press 'start', then press the compass button. There, it will say 'My Location'. There's your coordinates! :)

Hi,

I also forgot that on the Geocaching App, you can press any cache, press 'start', then press the compass button. There, it will say 'My Location'. There's your coordinates! :)

According to a recent post in another thread, the GS app doesn't show the last two digits of the coordinates. With the iPhone you can go to Utilities then Compass and see the current coordinates.

I dunno about "There's your coordinates". There's "some" coordinates or another, but how well they actually reflect your position is worthy of debate.

"Snapshot" coordinates taken this way are rarely as good as those taken over an averaged period, and better yet, averaged at several different points in time under different constellations.

At a MINIMUM you'd want to stay in the location for a minute or so to see if the coordinates 'settle' at all. Just walking to a spot and reading whatever the device says in that moment is a good way to introduce a lot of unnecessary error.