Need input from some local geocachers

Salvelinus

I have been debating about changing my geocache name for quite some time. The "smooch" in smoochnme no longer applies (smooch was a g-friend). Anyways, I was curious if this would confuse the local cachers who have come to recognize me through this name.

I have no problem keeping it but I would prefer to change it. I would sign logbooks with my new name and the old one in parenthesis until the new name became recognizable. I would reveal my new name here at the Northeast forums before I actually make the change.

What do you all think? Am I making too much of a little thing? I welcome any thoughts.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

quote:
Originally posted by orange:

If you don't mind your online find count going back to zero then by all means take a new name.

What was that Shakespeare line:

A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.

Call yourself whatever you want.

i thought you could change the name without this happening

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

Could you include a pronounciation guide for that name?? icon_biggrin.gif

Sure Enfanta:

Sal - shouldn't be hard to say

ve - prounced like "va"

linus - Just like the Peanuts character

Its the latin genus name for the brook trout...go figure huh!

besides its easier to pronounce than yours! icon_wink.gif

Salvelinus

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

So how come your profile shows the new name, but your forum postings still have the old name?

That's a good question. I don't know and can't figure out why. I e-mailed admin and if the name can't be changed in my old stuff, I'm going back to the old name.

Then I'll have to find another caching partner who dosn't mind being called smooch icon_confused.gif

Smoochalinus

goldfish.gif

Ralph Abele

quote:
Originally posted by Salvelinus:

I see my Forum post name is now the new one but all my caches and cache logs still have the old name.

http://www.contrabandent.com/cwm/s/otn/animals/goldfish.gif

Ralph Abele

They may change as soon as someone else logs those caches. Because server has cached the pages?

hmmmmm.Salvelinus ....

trout are fun.

but Micropterus salmoides are more fun,

and Micropterus dolomieui are the bestest!!!!

fishing is why i bought a gps. geocaching was a direct result of the research process of buying the gps.

robbie

lunker8_4_2002.jpg

wings_flag.gif

"Nuclear war would really set back cable.

--Ted Turner "

What does Smooch look like? J.T. isn't married and thanks to Deetylong he has his glasses back and is getting along quite well. Maybe we can get them together. Na, not a good idea.

Enfanta I have to talk to you about your micro cache. I think your Dec. 20th drop dead date is going to be pre-empt by snow. I need more clues.

Just trying to help,

Buzz

quote:
Originally posted by Theole34:

hmmmmm.Salvelinus ....

trout are fun.

but Micropterus salmoides are more fun,

and Micropterus dolomieui are the bestest!!!!

fishing is why i bought a gps. geocaching was a direct result of the research process of buying the gps.

robbie

http://theole34.homestead.com/files/lunker8_4_2002.jpg

http://theole34.homestead.com/files/wings_flag.gif

_"Nuclear war would really set back cable.

--Ted Turner "_

BASS!

No fish with any self respect has spines. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, bass are cool! I pursue them quite avidly, but in PA trout rule and the brook trout is the State fish. Buzzbe raises them with his own two hands!

still,

smoochelinus

goldfish.gif

Ralph Abele

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I just posted a note to one of your cache pages to make the page re-cache, in order to see if your name was updated.

Unfortunately, it wasn't. I then deleted the note.

Thanks for the effort Bassoonpilot! Still not sure whats up. I'll be trying something later today.

Smoochelinus

goldfish.gif

Ralph Abele

I edited all my hidden caches with my new name. Fortunatly there are only 7. All is fine there now.

I also edited one of my recent found logs and my name changed on the log. Now I only have 102 more of them to edit! Good thing its gonna snow tonight, now I have something to keep me busy!

Could you imagine if CCCooper wanted to do this?

Salvelinus

goldfish.gif

Ralph Abele