So only for Premium Members?

Hi, for a year or so i bought PM, but for a last of couple of months i didn't. And now with this new app it seems that You - Groundspeak want us all to buy Premium, because there are almost none D/T under 1.5 . So i either leave the game or have a very bad experience because it is not for me any more?? Or it will be, if i pay?? What happened ?? If i`m wrong, please, explain how can i see any geocache if i`m not premium.!!! About 97% when clicked on ask me to Upgrade to Premium, whilst yesterday i was happy out geocaching and today i`m full of madness!!!!!!!!

A very angry customer,

mrbollix

I think what you are experiencing is actually not the loss of any caches you could already see, but rather now on the map you see the premium-only caches that were previously hid from view. I don't know if this is intentional or not with respect to seeing these, but the premium only caches are designated by the members creating them not Groundspeak.

I think what you are experiencing is actually not the loss of any caches you could already see, but rather now on the map you see the premium-only caches that were previously hid from view. I don't know if this is intentional or not with respect to seeing these, but the premium only caches are designated by the members creating them not Groundspeak.

Actually, no - on the official Geocaching app, basic members cannot see anything but traditional caches under 1.5/1.5 difficulty/terrain. And they get nagged to upgrade to Premium Membership.

To the OP: Switch to a different app. There are other free apps out there that will not have the restriction on what caches you can see. I hear "Cachly" is a good iPhone app.

Hi, for a year or so i bought PM, but for a last of couple of months i didn't. And now with this new app it seems that You - Groundspeak want us all to buy Premium, because there are almost none D/T under 1.5 . So i either leave the game or have a very bad experience because it is not for me any more?? Or it will be, if i pay?? What happened ?? If i`m wrong, please, explain how can i see any geocache if i`m not premium.!!! About 97% when clicked on ask me to Upgrade to Premium, whilst yesterday i was happy out geocaching and today i`m full of madness!!!!!!!!

Use ANY app but the "official" one and you get access to all caches (except "premium only"). That means any type ans any D/T rating from 1/1 to 5/5. Extra bonus: no nagging about buying premium. B)

Take look at any of the API partners for a choice of apps.

Edited by on4bam

Use ANY app but the "official" one and you get access to all caches (except "premium only"). That means any type ans any D/T rating from 1/1 to 5/5. Extra bonus: no nagging about buying premium. B)

Take look at any of the API partners for a choice of apps.

+1

No area we've visited to date has this issue.

In fact, our distance and searches are now greater because of all those 1.5/1.5 or less hides.

- But mrbollix, looked at the area of your last find, and yeah, you do have one heckofalotta hides well over the basic app limitation.

A very angry customer,

mrbollix

I don't blame you for being mad, i'm a premium member and i'm ticked about it. (but for a different reason) I have some great caches downtown to show off my city that I made available for all members so that regardless of if you're a regular member, premium, newbie, tourist, local, or whatever, the caches can be found and you can enjoy yourself and have a unique experience. I spent two months setting up a very special multi with that in mind but it can't be found now by regular members with their iphone, along with my traditional (it's in a high traffic area so its trickier than a 1.5) and my letterbox. Effectively all my downtown caches can't be found even though I WANTED them to be found by regular members too. I have premium caches for premium members. I just think this is a bit of a slap in the face to cache owners you know?

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put my question, but it seems to fit.

1. I am a basic member.

2. I do not own or use a smart phone. I use only "geocaching.com".

3. Until a week or so ago, if I searched in 10-mile radius area from my home and mapped the results I would see icons for premium caches even though I couldn't read the cache description - it was nice to know they were there if I ever decided to up my membership. Now, I don't see them. What's up? Oh, BTW, there is a 5/1.5 premium cache about 3/4 of a mile from my home and it doesn't show now so there goes the 1.5/1.5 argument.

4. Is this another stumbling block thrown in the path of basic members? Or didn't someone do their homework when they "updated" the website?

Concerned and Confused

Edited by DragonSoldier45

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put my question, but it seems to fit.

1. I am a basic member.

3. Until a week or so ago, if I searched in 10-mile radius area from my home and mapped the results I would see icons for premium caches even though I couldn't read the cache description - it was nice to know they were there if I ever decided to up my membership. Now, I don't see them. What's up? Oh, BTW, there is a 5/1.5 premium cache about 3/4 of a mile from my home and it doesn't show now so there goes the 1.5/1.5 argument.

4. Is this another stumbling block thrown in the path of basic members? Or didn't someone do their homework when they "updated" the website?

Concerned and Confused

I'll try to help, though you asked a GPSr question in a phone app forums. ;)

Only apps were updated. Other than the last search update, nothing's changed on the site.

On pmos dissappearing, did you try to pan in/out on the map? Sometimes that works for me when that happens.

I don't notice much anymore unless I'm looking to place another cache.

I'm still able to see all cache types, and enter the cache pages (other than pmo).

Any "stumbling block" (right now...) based on access is only with folks using apps. :)

Please explain, I'm not sure I know what's meant as the "1.5/1.5 argument".

- Thanks.

Edited by cerberus1

A very angry customer,

mrbollix

I don't blame you for being mad, i'm a premium member and i'm ticked about it. (but for a different reason) I have some great caches downtown to show off my city that I made available for all members so that regardless of if you're a regular member, premium, newbie, tourist, local, or whatever, the caches can be found and you can enjoy yourself and have a unique experience. I spent two months setting up a very special multi with that in mind but it can't be found now by regular members with their iphone, along with my traditional (it's in a high traffic area so its trickier than a 1.5) and my letterbox. Effectively all my downtown caches can't be found even though I WANTED them to be found by regular members too. I have premium caches for premium members. I just think this is a bit of a slap in the face to cache owners you know?

I know, right?! There's this cache in my area that I found months back, but it was broken. I wrote a maintenance log saying that, but I just returned to the page today. Sure enough, the cache was fixed, so I went over there. It was then that I found that the cache had become premium only! $30 to sign a log for a cache that you found previously?! I think not! :angry:

Since you're not using an app, then the 1.5/1.5 limitation does not apply. Basic members can see all non-PMO caches when searching for caches on geocaching.com

I'm pretty sure that if the website map is zoomed to the 5-km/3-mile level or further out, then the PMO caches will appear. I'm guessing that they don't show the PMO caches when zoomed in closer so that Basic Members won't be able to identify the hiding spot. Additionally, an individual PMO cache might not be seen anymore because maybe it was archived since the last time you looked at the map.

1. I am a basic member.

Concerned and Confused

I'll try to help, though you asked a GPSr question in a phone app forums. ;)

Only apps were updated. Other than the last search update, nothing's changed on the site.

On pmos dissappearing, did you try to pan in/out on the map? Sometimes that works for me when that happens.

I don't notice much anymore unless I'm looking to place another cache.

I'm still able to see all cache types, and enter the cache pages (other than pmo).

Any "stumbling block" (right now...) based on access is only with folks using apps. :)

Please explain, I'm not sure I know what's meant as the "1.5/1.5 argument".

- Thanks.

Well, I wasn't sure where this question might go and this forum was as close as I could find to perhaps get an answer. Do you know of a forum where this might be a more appropriate question? I scroll down through all the pages and nothing seems to fit anything - all sorts of subjects seem to be mixed all together. But, I've seen this on other forums before and that's why I try to avoid them. Sometimes it ain't worth the effort to wade through the garbage.

Anyhow, thanks for your response. The 1.5/1.5 was on another posting that I might have gotten mixed up with.

Since you're not using an app, then the 1.5/1.5 limitation does not apply. Basic members can see all non-PMO caches when searching for caches on geocaching.com

I'm pretty sure that if the website map is zoomed to the 5-km/3-mile level or further out, then the PMO caches will appear. I'm guessing that they don't show the PMO caches when zoomed in closer so that Basic Members won't be able to identify the hiding spot. Additionally, an individual PMO cache might not be seen anymore because maybe it was archived since the last time you looked at the map.

Thanks for your attempt to help. Unfortunately, I have tried everything I can (checked on 2 different computers with my account, checked on both computers with a different account (my wife's), called my daughter in Maryland (also a basic member) and she sees the same problem. So, something has changed. I even don't see the smiley on the PMOs that I got with a friend before. Everything is a no show. Tried expanding the radius from 10 to 15 miles. Nothing. Tried the old search engine. Nothing. I see them listed but they don't appear on the maps anymore. I'm betting it's a ploy to get basic members to go for premium, but if I can't see where they are I can't really be interested in spending the money for ones that are out of my area or caching ability - the list with the generic miles in one of 8 cardinal directions gives a pretty wide swath once you are out more than a tenth of a mile or so!.

I did notice that this "problem" popped up about the same time as the smileys started showing a gray box around them for disabled caches you have already found. BUT, only after you clear the search filters! Maybe they've screwed things up worse than they think?

Thanks for your attempt to help. Unfortunately, I have tried everything I can (checked on 2 different computers with my account, checked on both computers with a different account (my wife's), called my daughter in Maryland (also a basic member) and she sees the same problem. So, something has changed. I even don't see the smiley on the PMOs that I got with a friend before. Everything is a no show. Tried expanding the radius from 10 to 15 miles. Nothing. Tried the old search engine. Nothing. I see them listed but they don't appear on the maps anymore. I'm betting it's a ploy to get basic members to go for premium, but if I can't see where they are I can't really be interested in spending the money for ones that are out of my area or caching ability - the list with the generic miles in one of 8 cardinal directions gives a pretty wide swath once you are out more than a tenth of a mile or so!.

I did notice that this "problem" popped up about the same time as the smileys started showing a gray box around them for disabled caches you have already found. BUT, only after you clear the search filters! Maybe they've screwed things up worse than they think?

I just can't figure out how you could have been seeing them before. With the current version of the map that has been in place for several years now, PMO caches have never been displayed for Basic members when you're zoomed in to a level where the icons shows as white/grey boxes with a cache type symbol in them. They would only be displayed if you zoom out to the point where they just show as small cache type icons. Nothing has changed in this respect for many years. Is it possible the caches you thought were displaying on the map as PMO were actually something else, or were you definitely seeing circular icons representing PMO caches? If you were seeing circular icons, then I would say it was a bug and you weren't supposed to be seeing that, and the bug has since been fixed.

I just can't figure out how you could have been seeing them before. With the current version of the map that has been in place for several years now, PMO caches have never been displayed for Basic members when you're zoomed in to a level where the icons shows as white/grey boxes with a cache type symbol in them. They would only be displayed if you zoom out to the point where they just show as small cache type icons. Nothing has changed in this respect for many years. Is it possible the caches you thought were displaying on the map as PMO were actually something else, or were you definitely seeing circular icons representing PMO caches? If you were seeing circular icons, then I would say it was a bug and you weren't supposed to be seeing that, and the bug has since been fixed.

Thank you for you reply.

Remember, I an referring to the computer-based maps, nor smart phones (apparently I have this thread in the wrong place but don't know how to get it moved or to start over or whatever). Can that be the difference? Also, I'm only been a member since May 2015 so I don't have a link to old stuff from several years ago so we can eliminate any artifacts.

1. I go to geocaching.com. I ask for all caches in my 10-mile radius from home, and then I MAP THESE RESULTS

2. I see (at that time) 318 caches. There were PMOs showing that were traditional or mystery. They showed with the proper symbol in the little white box. If I clicked on the icon, it came up as a standard blurb, but the ability to UPLOAD TO GPS was grayed out. I could NOT load or read the cache page, BUT I could (and have) logged a visit when I was able to locate a couple with others. Also, only PMO caches that were about 5 miles distant would show - those closer to home never did unless I set my search to a different city then they would show on the map. Same thing applied when I had my laptop in Germany this past summer and would search for caches in the area - PMOs showed on the map.

3. Until recently, those caches that are PMO and I did locate and logged, showed with the smiley. Now all the icons are gone, including the ones for PMO caches I have located. They (the PMO caches) are still showing in the list, and the ones I have located do show the smiley attached to the TYPE CACHE symbol. If I click on one, I get the usual "PMO cache" header, etc. But, I still have credit for finding them on my stats.

4. These icons showed on either of the two computers (both Windows 10-based) I used at home, and they showed (in Maryland) on my daughter's laptop (a MAC) when we used it. So, we can eliminate the laptop/computers from the equation. And, when I zoom out to where you just see smileys or green boxes, they ain't there either (but they were in the past).

5. Something apparently has changed, but what?

Thank you for you reply.

Remember, I an referring to the computer-based maps, nor smart phones (apparently I have this thread in the wrong place but don't know how to get it moved or to start over or whatever). Can that be the difference? Also, I'm only been a member since May 2015 so I don't have a link to old stuff from several years ago so we can eliminate any artifacts.

1. I go to geocaching.com. I ask for all caches in my 10-mile radius from home, and then I MAP THESE RESULTS

2. I see (at that time) 318 caches. There were PMOs showing that were traditional or mystery. They showed with the proper symbol in the little white box. If I clicked on the icon, it came up as a standard blurb, but the ability to UPLOAD TO GPS was grayed out. I could NOT load or read the cache page, BUT I could (and have) logged a visit when I was able to locate a couple with others. Also, only PMO caches that were about 5 miles distant would show - those closer to home never did unless I set my search to a different city then they would show on the map. Same thing applied when I had my laptop in Germany this past summer and would search for caches in the area - PMOs showed on the map.

3. Until recently, those caches that are PMO and I did locate and logged, showed with the smiley. Now all the icons are gone, including the ones for PMO caches I have located. They (the PMO caches) are still showing in the list, and the ones I have located do show the smiley attached to the TYPE CACHE symbol. If I click on one, I get the usual "PMO cache" header, etc. But, I still have credit for finding them on my stats.

4. These icons showed on either of the two computers (both Windows 10-based) I used at home, and they showed (in Maryland) on my daughter's laptop (a MAC) when we used it. So, we can eliminate the laptop/computers from the equation. And, when I zoom out to where you just see smileys or green boxes, they ain't there either (but they were in the past).

5. Something apparently has changed, but what?

Okay, I just did some testing to confirm for myself what happens if I log in under my Basic member test account. I did a search using the new search tool (the one on the new default homepage) for caches around my home coordinates and with no other filters. In the list of results, there were PMO caches listed with "Upgrade now to view" messages. When I map these results, the PMO caches do not show up at any zoom level. If I click "Clear search filters", it shows me the regular map with all caches and the PMO caches still aren't displayed. If I zoom out on the regular map to the 3 mi/5 km zoom level where the icons change to small coloured boxes with no cache type symbols, the PMO caches now display.

I'm at a loss as to why you were seeing PMO caches before. I keep thinking you might have actually been a Premium member, but then I remember that you couldn't bring up the cache listings. The only explanation I can come up with is that there was some kind of bug/error with your account that was partially displaying PMO caches, but it has now been fixed.

Okay, I just did some testing to confirm for myself what happens if I log in under my Basic member test account. I did a search using the new search tool (the one on the new default homepage) for caches around my home coordinates and with no other filters. In the list of results, there were PMO caches listed with "Upgrade now to view" messages. When I map these results, the PMO caches do not show up at any zoom level. If I click "Clear search filters", it shows me the regular map with all caches and the PMO caches still aren't displayed. If I zoom out on the regular map to the 3 mi/5 km zoom level where the icons change to small coloured boxes with no cache type symbols, the PMO caches now display.

I'm at a loss as to why you were seeing PMO caches before. I keep thinking you might have actually been a Premium member, but then I remember that you couldn't bring up the cache listings. The only explanation I can come up with is that there was some kind of bug/error with your account that was partially displaying PMO caches, but it has now been fixed.

I think a big factor would be whether viewing the map from Search Results or from Browsing. Considering what I noticed when reporting this bug, there seems to be some difference in how caches are displayed on maps between the two methods:

(1) Viewing caches via "Play -> View Geocache Map", and then panning across the map to get to the desired location. If you do this, then I believe you'll see the PMO caches at the 5-km/3-mile level or further.

(2) Viewing search results on a map, which it sounds like DragonSolider45 is doing, doesn't seem to show the PMO caches at any zoom level.

I know, right?! There's this cache in my area that I found months back, but it was broken. I wrote a maintenance log saying that, but I just returned to the page today. Sure enough, the cache was fixed, so I went over there. It was then that I found that the cache had become premium only! $30 to sign a log for a cache that you found previously?! I think not! :angry:

Basic Members can log finds on PMO caches, see this thread for reference. Skip to the bottom of the thread if you want the quick answer. No need to pay $30USD to log a PMO cache you've actually found as a Basic Member.

Edited by noncentric

I think a big factor would be whether viewing the map from Search Results or from Browsing. Considering what I noticed when reporting this bug, there seems to be some difference in how caches are displayed on maps between the two methods:

(1) Viewing caches via "Play -> View Geocache Map", and then panning across the map to get to the desired location. If you do this, then I believe you'll see the PMO caches at the 5-km/3-mile level or further.

(2) Viewing search results on a map, which it sounds like DragonSolider45 is doing, doesn't seem to show the PMO caches at any zoom level.

Yes, there is that difference, but I don't think that's related to the described issue. DragonSoldier45 describes seeing the cache type icon in a white box for PMO caches. The fact that it was a box rather than a circle indicates it's on the search result map with the bug you reported, but the fact remains that a Basic member shouldn't be seeing PMO caches in either boxes or circles.

I notice that when I search on my computer, the non-premium caches which show up are not necessarily the ones that will show as non-premium on my iPhone. There are numerous times I have selected caches to look for, only to get into the field and be told that they have suddenly become premium. There must be some better way for designating the caches which are truly designated as premium, so that they are the only ones which are excluded for those of us who don't choose to be premium members.

I notice that when I search on my computer, the non-premium caches which show up are not necessarily the ones that will show as non-premium on my iPhone. There are numerous times I have selected caches to look for, only to get into the field and be told that they have suddenly become premium. There must be some better way for designating the caches which are truly designated as premium, so that they are the only ones which are excluded for those of us who don't choose to be premium members.

It's a confusion in terms. "Premium" caches on the app are not "Premium Members Only" caches on the website. "Premium" app caches are ones with higher terrain, multis and other non-traditional caches, etc.

I'd suggest dumping the official app and using one of the other approved apps for iPhone. Those won't have the "premium" app restriction.

You're currently a basic member.

Though on the PC you can view all but premium member only caches, a basic member using the official app can only view-to-access 1.5/1.5 or less traditionals, nothing else.

If you want to access higher D/T or other cache types, at this time you'd need a handheld GPSr, or another caching app that doesn't hide those "advanced" caches from view. :)

As others have mentioned, the terminology may be causing some confusion.

PMO (Premium Member Only) caches - Only visible to Premium Members, whether on the website or the app.

Non-PMO caches - Visible to both Basic Members and Premium Members.

-- On the website, Basic Members can see all of the non-PMO caches.

-- On the app, Basic Members can only see Traditional types that have D/T ratings below 1.5/1.5 ("Advanced" caches).

Here is an image that someone else posted in another thread. At the bottom, you'll see that the cache is noted as being "Advanced".

-- You need to become a Premium Member to view the "Advanced" caches in the app.

-- You don't need to become a Premium Member to view the "Advanced" caches on the website.

a484c51b-348a-4a3c-a7c6-46cb0fadfce7.jpg

Edited by noncentric