How long is too long?

mel&pmk

We found our first trackable yesterday, a travel bug (we're new). So, this TB started in South Africa in 2008 and has found itself in Portland, Oregon - needless to say we're pretty excited. Anyway, my question is: how long is too long to wait to put it back out there? It's been in Oregon and Washington for years, and I'm going to Virginia in 6 weeks... is that too long to hang onto it? I could put it back in the Portland area today, but it would be more fun to see it go further. What do you think?

Thanks!

Mel

What is the TB's goal?

"I want to travel from cache to cache and make my mark.

Wherever I'm placed in a cache, I want to make my mark through you... put your thumb print in the logbook when you drop me in a cache and write "Inky was here" next to it - then I'm happy."

So, not a real goal to go anywhere.

You can ask the TO if it's OK to keep the TB until you travel or just move it along.

Just be aware of where you drop the TB in order not to have it muggled easily.

I prefer to leave TBs in mysteries or multis if possible or else in well hidden traditionals.

The owner of the TB thinks it's a great idea to take it to Virginia when I'm there. I will find a good premium cache to put it in. Also, I've noticed that some trackables state that they only want their bugs to be held for a max of 3 days, etc. Which is fine. So much to learn *sighs loudly*.

Things happen and sometimes it may take longer than expected. We had a couple for a few months because we thought we lost them on vacation. I messaged the owners and told them that I believe I lost them. Luckily sometime later we found them in another bag and they were not in the bag we lost. They were only marked as missing so we got them back out. I had a lady give me one that she had for 3 years. Basically a new cacher that quit for the most part and held onto it. I told her I would move it on and luckily the TB was just marked as missing. I have 3 right now that I picked up from MOGA 2016. I dropped one yesterday and plan to get the other two out soon. I don't do puzzle caches but I do look for established caches with a low muggle rate to put them in. Definitely no LPC's or guardrails even if they are big enough to hold the TB. I lost mine in vegas to a LPC muggle that was on the verge of 30,000 miles. I plan relaunch it here soon because I figure after two years of missing it is not coming back. My other one was picked up and I was told heading to florida, that was 5 months ago, Nothing since!!

I'd love to know what your major pet peeve is! I'm new, ya know :)

Wading through 10 to 50 pages of "took it to" logs when I want to see where a trackable has "actually" been and if it has been to its goal location or not. <_<

Yep, me too. I just messaged the holder of one of my TB's. They've had it more than six months and "visit" several caches a week but still won't drop it. I don't care to see that someone is simply holding my TB and posting several logs a week just to move it .10 miles back and forth within the same 5 mile radius... Grrr!

TB4XP73

This guy has 80+ pages of "visit" logs on our TB. When I looked into it, I discovered that he has a ton of TBs visiting every cache he finds.

Really surprised more of the noticeable hoarders aren't given an option of set 'em free or get locked.

Some are even nervy enough to include pics on the cache pages, showing they have no gear large enough to lug what's supposedly traveling along with 'em.

TB4XP73

This guy has 80+ pages of "visit" logs on our TB. When I looked into it, I discovered that he has a ton of TBs visiting every cache he finds.

Well, you shouldn't list the trackable code here. Now I could log it! :shocked:

I've been known to delete 'visited' logs, since my TBs say "Do not visit to caches."

Visiting other CO's TBs is one of the worst mistakes GC has made. I do visit my personal geocoin to all the caches that I find.

TB4XP73

Well, you shouldn't list the trackable code here. Now I could log it! :shocked:

I've been known to delete 'visited' logs, since my TBs say "Do not visit to caches."

Visiting other CO's TBs is one of the worst mistakes GC has made. I do visit my personal geocoin to all the caches that I find.

That TBxxxx is the public code and would not allow you to log the TB.

Every TB has a public and private code. The public code can be shared without allowing logging. The private code is the one that's printed on the actual TB.

Do you know if the dipper gets a notification when you delete his dips? I wouldn't mind cleaning up my TB, but I've met the dipper in person and don't want to send him a bunch of email notifications.

Do you know if the dipper gets a notification when you delete his dips? I wouldn't mind cleaning up my TB, but I've met the dipper in person and don't want to send him a bunch of email notifications.

I went through a visit deleting phase a while back, maybe two years ago, and the the people doing the visiting did get those notices. I didn't mind but in your case it might not be what you want.

We found our first trackable yesterday, a travel bug (we're new). So, this TB started in South Africa in 2008 and has found itself in Portland, Oregon - needless to say we're pretty excited. Anyway, my question is: how long is too long to wait to put it back out there? It's been in Oregon and Washington for years, and I'm going to Virginia in 6 weeks... is that too long to hang onto it? I could put it back in the Portland area today, but it would be more fun to see it go further. What do you think?

Thanks!

Mel

I'm new to this but I had heard if you are going to hold it for over 2 weeks to let the TB owner know your intentions.

I'd love to know what your major pet peeve is! I'm new, ya know :)

Wading through 10 to 50 pages of "took it to" logs when I want to see where a trackable has "actually" been and if it has been to its goal location or not. <_<

Yep, me too. I just messaged the holder of one of my TB's. They've had it more than six months and "visit" several caches a week but still won't drop it. I don't care to see that someone is simply holding my TB and posting several logs a week just to move it .10 miles back and forth within the same 5 mile radius... Grrr!

I have a similar situation with one of mine also. I was looking at this cachers history, and she has had it for over 3 months now, and has been active and caching. She went all the way up to Montana, which I would have thought would be a great place to drop our bug. But, she is now back down in our neck of the woods, and still has our bug. Sigh. I messaged her gently asking if she is still in possession of it.

Edited by TheAuthorityFigures