Scottland holidays

fkott

Hello GC chaps,

we are a family from Germany and do a Scottland trip in August. Therefore, we would like to ask for cache recommendations, because we would like to visit locations, which normal tourists would not explore. For sure, some Whisky destilleries should be included. We also would like to stay more off from main tourist routes.

We will start in Edinburgh and go up north at east coast and back to south at west coast.

We have maid good experience with this kind of recommendations in Ireland.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards

fkott

Hi fkott,

my recommendations.

Visit Skye, just go to Skye. It's amazing. There's a brilliant earthcache there called the Spar Cave. Check it out. Travel to Skye up the coast road, past Arisaig and get the ferry. Then travel back down from Skye over the bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh. (Or reverse that) Visit Eilean Donan castle.

Visit Ben Nevis and Glen Nevis, both amazing.

The Uk's oldest cache is in Scotland on a mountain called Ben More.

Dont' forget the Kelpies and the Falkirk Wheel.

I would also recommend the Isle of Arran, there's a great but tough series on there called Arran Industries. May not give you a lot of time though. Visit Islay for the distilleries. And Arran has its own distillery.

Hope this is of use.

There are some good caches in the Lochinver areas. We stayed there recently - there's amazing scenery and the people are super friendly.

GC2YFYZ has spectacular views and is right by a lighthouse.

GC33T0Q also fab views over Lochinver harbour.

GC2VZB8 is a ruined castle which is beautiful and on the edge of a loch.

There are also some really worthwhile earth caches around there and if you make it to Drumbeg, visit the village shop as they have some amazing whiskey and paintings/wood carving by local artists.

ETA: There's a cache at the Glenmorangie distillery on the east coast which is in the car park so easily do-able after a tour.

Edited by Cachez

I've just been for a week on Skye and can recommend it. However don't plan too much on your day trips. The roads are in a really bad state with pot holes and the tourists and old people on the island can't drive to save their lives. Anywhere you visit will be guaranteed to be jam packed with tourists getting in your way. That's what it's been like this week in the middle of winter !

Masterfull view http://coord.info/GCJ2FY is one of the first two geocaches I ever found, while visiting my partner who was working near Oban. I'd been to the port many times before and since, as several relatives used to lived there. Oban has a distillery and is a lovely place to visit - nearly always seals and seabirds in the harbour, excellent fish and shellfish cabins around the harbour, McCaig's Tower (round folly), ferries to isle of Mull etc.

There will be lots of tourists in August, but slightly fewer in second half of month, after Scottish school term starts, but English, Welsh & Northern Irish schools are still on holiday and may be visiting Scotland. However, the site of Masterfull view isn't a place reched by many tourists, as it's a bit of a climb, rewarded by a great view over islands.