Pocket Query on I Phone

acachebox

My pocket queries show up on my I Phone. When I select it takes me directly to that area and displays. However it includes caches, multis, that I have not asked for in the PQ. What is the advantage of a PQ if it goes beyond my request?

Edited by acachebox

I had originally ask this question anticipating I would be in an area with limited or no cell phone service. We were in the Smoky Mountains and yes no cell phone service. While I could open the PQ it was useless without cell coverage. I had assumed it would have worked off the satellite as far as directions to GZ. What am I missing here?

I had originally ask this question anticipating I would be in an area with limited or no cell phone service. We were in the Smoky Mountains and yes no cell phone service. While I could open the PQ it was useless without cell coverage. I had assumed it would have worked off the satellite as far as directions to GZ. What am I missing here?

Did you save the PQ as an offline list?

I've got the Android version but I suspect that it's similar

- tap the three horizontal bars to show the menus

- tap My Lists

any pocket queries you created on the web site should show up

- tap on the circle with three dots in in an then tap "Download offline data"

Once that is done you'll see a green circle with box inside which indicates that the offline list has been created

Then just tap the name of the list (pocket query) to see the list of caches.

Select one of the caches and then tap the "Start" button. Without cell phone service or a wifi connection the app will not be able to download map tiles in real time but you can still navigate to the cache using the compass screen, even if the phone is in airplane mode.

I used the process I described a week ago or so both in Mexico and in Cuba to find a couple of caches.

Did you save the PQ as an offline list?

I've got the Android version but I suspect that it's similar

- tap the three horizontal bars to show the menus

- tap My Lists

any pocket queries you created on the web site should show up

- tap on the circle with three dots in in an then tap "Download offline data"

Once that is done you'll see a green circle with box inside which indicates that the offline list has been created

Then just tap the name of the list (pocket query) to see the list of caches.

Select one of the caches and then tap the "Start" button. Without cell phone service or a wifi connection the app will not be able to download map tiles in real time but you can still navigate to the cache using the compass screen, even if the phone is in airplane mode.

I used the process I described a week ago or so both in Mexico and in Cuba to find a couple of caches.

I am sorry but is your description "Did you save the PQ as an offline list?" referring to on a computer or on the phone?

What you are missing is downloading the maps and PQ ahead of time so you don't need cell service when you get there. The direction/distance arrow and compass screen rely on the GPS satellites and do not require or use cellular service. When we hike/cache the boonies like that, we put our cell phones in airplane mode to save battery, since there's no cell service anyway. If you don't download the maps ahead of time, you can still use the compass screen. You just won't have a map display.

What you are missing is downloading the maps and PQ ahead of time so you don't need cell service when you get there. The direction/distance arrow and compass screen rely on the GPS satellites and do not require or use cellular service. When we hike/cache the boonies like that, we put our cell phones in airplane mode to save battery, since there's no cell service anyway. If you don't download the maps ahead of time, you can still use the compass screen. You just won't have a map display.

I had downloaded 2 PQ of the Smokies before we went there. When i opened the GPS and attempted to use them I was getting a no service notification.

Your comment about turning to Airplane may be the answer as the phone would just automaticaly look for service. i will try a local PQ and turn off the service to see what happens.

I found this explanation and it answered some questions.

https://support.Grou...=kb.page&id=280

My current question, since it took so long to download, is I included the option to download "Open Street Map" and question what that meant and would that be useful once in the field?

Open Street Maps are free maps that you can download to your phone or GPS. Since the map is stored on your phone, there is no data connection being used to display the map. With a PQ saved on the phone and an offline map like Open Street Maps saved on your phone, it will be fully operational while there is no data connection or if the phone is placed in airplane mode.

I found this explanation and it answered some questions.

https://support.Grou...=kb.page&id=280

My current question, since it took so long to download, is I included the option to download "Open Street Map" and question what that meant and would that be useful once in the field?

Open Street Maps are free maps that you can download to your phone or GPS. Since the map is stored on your phone, there is no data connection being used to display the map. With a PQ saved on the phone and an offline map like Open Street Maps saved on your phone, it will be fully operational while there is no data connection or if the phone is placed in airplane mode.

Thanks that works