Geocaching in Australia

Good Morning my fellow Cachers, I will be Geocaching in Australia for the first time. I was wondering what settings I need to change on my GPS to Geocache in there? I was not sure if the Datum needed to change or anything like that?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Nothing to change. Make sure your datum is WGS84, which the one this game uses worldwide. And do know that after you turn on your unit for the first time after getting off the plane, it'll take a long time to get oriented with a satellite lock. Let it work on that during your trip in from the airport.

Now if you want maps, that's another whole story...

And do know that after you turn on your unit for the first time after getting off the plane, it'll take a long time to get oriented with a satellite lock.

That's why I always keep my GPS ON during flights. :ph34r: Added bonus is having a track of the route taken.

Most flights we have taken allow the use of GPS, our last flights (Emirates B777 and A380) even had WiFi and cellphone coverage available.

And do know that after you turn on your unit for the first time after getting off the plane, it'll take a long time to get oriented with a satellite lock.

That's why I always keep my GPS ON during flights. :ph34r: Added bonus is having a track of the route taken.

Most flights we have taken allow the use of GPS, our last flights (Emirates B777 and A380) even had WiFi and cellphone coverage available.

If you keep your GPSr on while flying from Washington State to Australia you might want to bring an extra set of batteries...

If you keep your GPSr on while flying from Washington State to Australia you might want to bring an extra set of batteries...

I always carry extra batteries. One set in the GPS, 4 sets in my backpack. WA to Oz is peanuts B) In October we flew BRU-DXB-MEL totaling 22 hours flighttime our next holiday will be even longer making it about the same distance no matter which way we set off :lol:

BTW, to the TS, take a look at OSM and OCM maps for use down under, they have great coverage and detail (and are free).

I always carry extra batteries. One set in the GPS, 4 sets in my backpack. WA to Oz is peanuts B) In October we flew BRU-DXB-MEL totaling 22 hours flighttime our next holiday will be even longer making it about the same distance no matter which way we set off :lol:

BTW, to the TS, take a look at OSM and OCM maps for use down under, they have great coverage and detail (and are free).

I thought WA to Australia was a long trip, until I went to India. India was 25 hours total (that included driving to Seattle and a layover in Dubai).

I thought WA to Australia was a long trip, until I went to India. India was 25 hours total (that included driving to Seattle and a layover in Dubai).

If you're going to count layover time I I've got a real long one.

Departed from my local airport (about a 15 minute drive) at 6:15AM on a Friday morning for a 1h 15min flight to Newark, NY.

3h 15m layover in Newark

Flight from Newark to Tokyo, Japan 13h 50m (arriving Saturday Afternoon 1:55PM (Japan StandardTime)

4h layover in Tokyo

Flight from Tokyo to Singapore: 7h (arrive around midnight Singapore time).

Slept in an in-airport "hotel" until 9:00AM (approx. 11h 30m hours total layover)

Flight from Singapore to Kuching, Malaysia: 1h 30 minutes (arriving on Sunday at 1:15PM)

After immigration, customs, baggage claim About a 20 minute taxi ride to my hotel, checked in around 2:30PM

Total travel time, either in an airport or on a plane: 41 hours, 20 minutes

The return trip actually took longer but after flying from Malaysia to Singapore I stayed over night in a hotel near the airport, did some geocaching the next day before a late overnight flight to Tokyo. The spent 7 hours in Tokyo (more geocaching) before the ~14 hour flight back to NY. The worst part was that after arriving in NY, I had a 3 hour scheduled layover and my 1.5 hour flight home was delayed about 2 hours.

Those stories remind me:

I love travel, but hate travelling.

You know what I mean...

I agree for the most part and that's why I try to make the most of the traveling part. My upcoming trip...

Drive to Syracuse Thursday night (about an hour from here)

Stay overnight in the hotel at the airport.

Get up way too early for a 5:45AM flight to JFK

Layover a few hours

Flight from JFK to Cancun

Check into beach front hotel then have a cerveza at the bar

Go out to find the nearest cache (a short bus ride away) where there is also an Geocaching event scheduled

Go back to hotel and have another cerveza at the bar

Get up the next day, go to the airport and fly to Panama City

After a short layover, fly to Havana, Cuba

Check into the Casa Particular where I'll be staying for a week and have a mohito

Work for a week the basically do the reverse trip the way back home

You need the funnel web spider, red back spider, death adder, tiger snake, brown snake, taipan, fierce snake, red bellied black snake, king brown snake, paralysis tick, male platypus sting, box jellyfish, blue stinger, Australian tax office bite alarm turned on. Also be aware of the billy tea swing and damper alert. Also, please have a "bloody great time".

I forgot about the wombat register, kangaroo muster, bluey jacket run and the wallaby worming.

And don't let any one take the Mickey out of you. I am an aussie, what else can I say?

Edited by boothie103