What Happened to Earthcache.org?

GCEdo

Hopefully it's just a glitch of some sort. I thought the geosociety page was an older version and that's earthcache.org was valuable in its own right. I would have assumed that there would be an announcement if things were changing.

Edited by geodarts

I know there was a site registry expiration issue earlier in the month, but it was fixed within a few days by renewing the domain registration. Something else must have gone wrong since then. I'm not aware of any plan to change the role that the earthcache.org site plays.

The domain's registration was not renewed. The first thirty days, the domain will show as "Pending renewal or deletion". The domain owners can choose to renew the registration during this grace period. After this window, the domain will enter thirty to forty-five day period called "Pending Deletion". Following that, the domain is released back into the market.

I studied the process several years ago because I wanted to snap up rangerfox.com when it came on the market. I use the domain as a testing server, so it's rather pointless to go to the home page. I'm not interested in making it a blog as doing so would only add to my workload.

Aww... The GSA noticed the expired domain name. They renewed it.

I had a bid in to purchase it since I wanted to fix it. Guess I can save some money by letting them solve their own problems.

So when you say "fix it", do you mean setting up a redirect to Wherigo Foundation ;). j/k. LOL. I crack me up sometimes.