Has anyone ever gotten into a foot race for the FTF?

Years ago here, caches and cachers were few, and a FTF prize might be ca$h, hiking supplies, or even older GPSrs, there were a few who'd extend themselves a bit to get that find first. :)

That kinda changed as both jumped in numbers, and containers got smaller.

"bragging rights" having no value maybe...

Now, around here if you see or catch up with another, we usually walk or search together at that point.

A young guy who was a trail runner would run 'til he'd catch up to me (a much older hiker), then walk the rest together, geochatting along the way.

- He was kinda tickled that the old fart was out that far so early, knowing I left maybe hours earlier. :laughing:

Years ago here, caches and cachers were few, and a FTF prize might be ca$h, hiking supplies, or even older GPSrs, there were a few who'd extend themselves a bit to get that find first. :)

Now, around here if you see or catch up with another, we usually walk or search together at that point.

A young guy who was a trail runner would run 'til he'd catch up to me (a much older hiker), then walk the rest together, geochatting along the way.

- He was kinda tickled that the old fart was out that far so early, knowing I left maybe hours earlier. :laughing:

I'm guessing that CO-FTF is common in your area.

The few times I've been out for an FTF and saw another cacher at or near GZ, I've just moved along and decided to return at a later time when I have the place to myself. I don't do the "co-FTF" thing and I'd honestly rather just keep to myself when I'm out caching. I save the social aspect of it for events.

I can only think of once when I ran a fairly short distance for a FTF. I made a wrong turn in a maze of trails, though, so I didn't get the FTF. For all the other times I've met cachers on the way to a FTF GZ, we walk together and don't make a competition out of it, and generally claim co-FTF on the cache.

The few times I've been out for an FTF and saw another cacher at or near GZ, I've just moved along and decided to return at a later time when I have the place to myself. I don't do the "co-FTF" thing and I'd honestly rather just keep to myself when I'm out caching. I save the social aspect of it for events.

I don't do the co-FTF thing either. Last summer a friend and I stopped to find a new cache together. She was the one who actually spotted it, and while she was happy to let me claim co-FTF, I thought that wasn't quite on the up and up so I didn't.

I don't usually try for FTF. One day I spotted a new local puzzle, and solved it in the morning. Took the afternoon off to go for it. FTF! On the way out, I met a cacher heading for it. (Beat him by about twenty minutes.) Definitely an FTF addict. Known for going for them at 3 AM. And that's what he said: "dadgum! I should have gone for it early this morning!" Hee hee hee.

I have been in many. Most times it is just cool to meet another cacher out there and we find it together and claim co-FTF. Other times the other cacher only wants it if they find it first. Either way is fine with me.

One time that comes to mind is there was 2 new caches. As I walked up I found a cacher who was just finding it. I obviously wouldn't have claimed co-ftf on that one as he was there and found it first. Then we talked and walked over to the next one. He explained to me on the way that there could only be one FTF so whoever found it first was the one. I said Cool. No worries. He went to the wrong spot and I walked right up to it and found it. We then found a bunch of caches on that trail and he told me about his rules of geocaching and how strict he was with them. All fine with me. Last I checked he was no longer caching. I think maybe all his strict rules made it not all that fun. Maybe it was another reason.

I try and just keep having fun with the game. In the FTF race it will depend on who I meet out there. Most times it is "Cool someone else to help find it" Other times it is a race to find it first. I just make sure to have fun, That is why I like to play.

Used to cache with a partner. She was newer at the game than I was so I usually found the cache before her. But as time went by she got better to the point where she was beating me. <_< Thought about getting rid of her for someone else newer and less apt to find them first, but by then I had grown use to caching with her. :rolleyes::P:D

The first time I was 'early' at the cache, another geocacher was already there looking (and he is a notorious ftf-er in the area). He immediately offered co-ftf, regardless of which of us actually found it. I thought that was very gracious, and I was encouraged in the game. It's just nice to be nice to each other!!

We have lots of CO-FTFs here. Nothing wrong with it if it doesn't bother the one who found. We have one generous cacher who allows it even 5 mins after he found it as long as he was still at the location of the cache. And we have lots of group FTFs too.

We have lots of CO-FTFs here. Nothing wrong with it if it doesn't bother the one who found. We have one generous cacher who allows it even 5 mins after he found it as long as he was still at the location of the cache. And we have lots of group FTFs too.

Why would you even want to claim a "co-FTF" if he'd already found it and replaced it? Is it that important for some people to get credit? Or is it that shameful to only be the second person to find it? What sense does it make?

That's what we see too.

Depending on whether the other's a FTF commando ("This rocks yours, that one's mine"), or casual ("if it happens...") , we go with the flow.

Now when my other 2/3rds was a FTF monster, it was kill or be killed. :D

We haven't counted FTFs after 350 or so, but I still manage a few, usually on longer walks that no one seems to want to do anymore.

- But I'll still claim it if someone's getting antsy (and we've seen it with older folks as new...), just not "proclaim" it in my log.

Kinda insult to injury for the few anxious FTFers. :laughing:

I've showed up for a few at the same time as other cachers. In Germany, I tended to show up too late to be first and either saw the first finder logging the cache or leaving just as I was pulling up.

The last time I showed up at the same time was for a set of new caches around Montgomery, Alabama. We all joined forces for the searches. I wasn't actually the first to find any of them save for one, so that's the only one I claimed as FTF.

That's what we see too.

Depending on whether the other's a FTF commando ("This rocks yours, that one's mine"), or casual ("if it happens...") , we go with the flow.

We haven't counted FTFs after 350 or so, but I still manage a few, usually on longer walks that no one seems to want to do anymore.

- But I'll still claim it if someone's getting antsy (and we've seen it with older folks as new...), just not "proclaim" it in my log.

Yes. I do recall going for an FTF in Pennsylvania, and meeting another cacher. He found it first, and offered me Co-FTF. But he found it first, and was FTF. I logged Second to find. There is only one First.

That's what we see too.

Yes. I do recall going for an FTF in Pennsylvania, and meeting another cacher. He found it first, and offered me Co-FTF. But he found it first, and was FTF. I logged Second to find. There is only one First.

Thank you! If I'm there at the same time as another and find the cache and they decide they want to claim "co-FTF"...whatever. I won't really debate the matter and they can say whatever they want...but it's just silly to me that people think it's something to "share" out of generosity or something. I personally will never claim such a thing, though.

On my very first FTF, another local cacher had mentioned he was going to look for this newly published cache during his lunch hour if nobody had claimed it by then. Thankfully I live nearby and had nothing else to do that day, so I went and got the cache but didn't log it until the other cacher logged his find on it.

A couple years ago, a new cache published just two blocks from home at 10 at night. Thinking nobody would go for the FTF, I plugged it into my GPS and went off on foot. As I was going around the corner toward the cache, I saw a car pulling up from the other way to park right at GZ. I saw two people get out and walk across the street so I knew I was in the clear. When I got to GZ, I reached up and grabbed the cache and looked over and saw the couple who I saw earlier fondling the fire hydrant across the street.

-The Happy Hodag!