Not pleased with the new app

I left feedback in the Google Play Store for the new Geocaching app, but it's so frustrating that I felt the need to express my disappointment here also. This new app is so incredibly frustrating for us basic users. If you're a premium member maybe it's awesome, it might be, but for us basic members it sure feels like getting crapped on, especially when we already shelled out $10 for the old app that now lies dormant and ignored. The new app is loaded with all kinds of restrictions asking you to upgrade to premium that don't exist on the website. A cache that's over 1.5 difficulty or terrain? That's a premium. Earthcache? That's a premium. Sorting and filtering? That's a premium. This feels like GC decided to take a crap on the heads of a whole lot of long-time, loyal fans who've been good contributors for many years. And from the reviews on the Play Store, it's clear I'm not alone in this. If someone shells out $10 for an app, they expect that app to be useful for a good long time. I know apps are cheap, but that's the market, and $10 is a LOT of money for an app. So I hope GC will rethink this and continue to treat us basic members as a valued part of the community, and continue to support the "classic" app.

So, continue using the paid app until all the rest of the promised upgrades come to the free app.....or just spend the $30 for Premium Membership. You can't fault the Groundspeak® for trying to sell PM. The company is here to make profit for its owners, not to provide a service to everyone at no cost.

I left feedback in the Google Play Store for the new Geocaching app, but it's so frustrating that I felt the need to express my disappointment here also. This new app is so incredibly frustrating for us basic users. If you're a premium member maybe it's awesome, it might be, but for us basic members it sure feels like getting crapped on, especially when we already shelled out $10 for the old app that now lies dormant and ignored. The new app is loaded with all kinds of restrictions asking you to upgrade to premium that don't exist on the website. A cache that's over 1.5 difficulty or terrain? That's a premium. Earthcache? That's a premium. Sorting and filtering? That's a premium. This feels like GC decided to take a crap on the heads of a whole lot of long-time, loyal fans who've been good contributors for many years. And from the reviews on the Play Store, it's clear I'm not alone in this. If someone shells out $10 for an app, they expect that app to be useful for a good long time. I know apps are cheap, but that's the market, and $10 is a LOT of money for an app. So I hope GC will rethink this and continue to treat us basic members as a valued part of the community, and continue to support the "classic" app.

Also note that what they refer to as a premium cache, or a cache that's over 1.5 difficulty or terrain rating is not the same as PMO (Premium Members Only) caches. I think that using the word "premium caches" has caused some confusion with app users.

As for the new app, it is not so bad for premium members and it will get better soon. Best advice, if you play here buy a premium membership. It has all the perks, and basic membership is exactly that, a basic membership that is free. :)

If you don't like the free app, then don't use the free app that you didn't pay for. Get the premium membership, use the paid app, or a different app, or a GPS.

From what I can see, your issue is having to pay. Yup it sucks having to pay to get more, but you really don't. Heck, you don't even need an app to go geocaching, you can do it completely free. It's your choice to pay the premium membership with its benifits of pocket queries, instant notifications, and now more privlages in the app.

Basically what I'm getting at is they're providing you a service. Either pay to use their service, find another way, or don't complain and expect stuff for free.

I left feedback in the Google Play Store for the new Geocaching app, but it's so frustrating that I felt the need to express my disappointment here also.

At the rate you appear to geocache - with just over 1 Found It log per month over a period of almost 10 years, just how much frustration would you say is being inflicted on you by Groundspeak's new free app? :ph34r:

I agree. The app's tendancy to beg for money and the extremely low threshold (1.5 terrain) for access to the databases were major annoyances. I can see a new, or old cacher, completely turned off by the pan handling taste of things. Since the app is not usable while offline, and requires google services (two huge battery drains) I uninstalled it and went back to the geocaching tools provided in Locus (android app) with the exact same experience I've had in the past: offline caching without headaches or begging for subscriptions.

The whining for money wasn't really an issue, but when I realized that the nagging was only the beginning and that terrain restrictions were the next step, I felt much less of the geocaching community as a whole. We will be doing a lot more similar activities as a family, like Orienteering, Letterboxes, and HikingChallenges instead of the now strictly-for-profit geocaching we originally loved.

No big deal, it will all work itself out eventually.

I agree with you. The new app sucks. I tried it the other day and it left me wanting much more. I paid for the Classic GC app and it works okay, nothing special. A few years ago, I used C:geo and it is better than either of the two GC apps. But, I always go back to one of my Garmin Oregons. The discussion boards here are full of a bunch of haters (not all) and usually tow the company line. So, you will not get any sympathy here. I laughed when someone questioned your devotion(?) to geocaching because you haven't found 20,000 geocaches. Geez, some of us have a life.

I hate the new app. It's a mess. I can't even find a way to make it switch from kilometers to miles. The interface is clunky and cartoonish and it has very little functionality compared to the original app. It takes forever to load caches and positioning lags way behind where we actually are.

The original app is MUCH better, so why replace it? It's like Groundspeak isn't happy just ruining the website, they have to mess up the app too.

Does anyone know a good third party app for android? I've been using GCDroid but am puzzled by some of it and can't find any instructions.

I hate the new app. It's a mess. I can't even find a way to make it switch from kilometers to miles. The interface is clunky and cartoonish and it has very little functionality compared to the original app. It takes forever to load caches and positioning lags way behind where we actually are.

The original app is MUCH better, so why replace it? It's like Groundspeak isn't happy just ruining the website, they have to mess up the app too.

Does anyone know a good third party app for android? I've been using GCDroid but am puzzled by some of it and can't find any instructions.

locus works very well, and can provide offline navigation/tracking , along with storing ALL your finds in a pretty slick database, just in case someone wants to restrict access to your favorite caches in the future.

locus works very well, and can provide offline navigation/tracking , along with storing ALL your finds in a pretty slick database, just in case someone wants to restrict access to your favorite caches in the future.

Is this the one you mean? http://www.locusmap.eu/

How long have you been using it? Is it intuitive and easy to use like the old geocaching app?

Take a look here.

I use GDAK on my tablet, not for caching but as a tool to have larger images, more logs, ability to load extra caches on my GPS in case I need too and to log via API when away from home (minitrips, holidays).

Is this the one you mean? http://www.locusmap.eu/

How long have you been using it? Is it intuitive and easy to use like the old geocaching app?

That would be the one. Notice the rating for the pro version: 4.8.

I use it too. "Intuitive" is a subjective thing, but I suppose it could be called that. It takes a while to learn all the features because there are a LOT of them. It's smooth to use once you have the hang of it, and worth the effort in my opinion.

I have no idea how it compares to either Groundspeak app because after starting with Locus, I've never seen a need to try another. (But I have a hunch Locus wins. Notice the rating.)

Heck, it'll even give spoken turn-by-turn directions, down the trail to the cache. How many geo-apps do that? (AND you can choose metric vs. imperial.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Also note that what they refer to as a premium cache, or a cache that's over 1.5 difficulty or terrain rating is not the same as PMO (Premium Members Only) caches. I think that using the word "premium caches" has caused some confusion with app users.

As for the new app, it is not so bad for premium members and it will get better soon. Best advice, if you play here buy a premium membership. It has all the perks, and basic membership is exactly that, a basic membership that is free. :)

Don't worry even the paid one for premium is crap. Go with c:geo

So, continue using the paid app until all the rest of the promised upgrades come to the free app.....or just spend the $30 for Premium Membership. You can't fault the Groundspeak® for trying to sell PM. The company is here to make profit for its owners, not to provide a service to everyone at no cost.

Go back and review the history of the company... it began with a free database. They began charging out of a need to cover the costs of the web site. Apparently that evolved into revenue becoming a main focus, despite the fact that they would cease to exist without an established userbase providing the free hides to populate that database. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but it certainly wasn't the original focus of the company.