Evil caches that are SIMPLE to make.

I haven't EVER given a FP to an evil hide. I reserve them for creative hides and containers. A fake rock in an area of riprap is evil, and I haven't favorited either of the two I have found in that situation (Now, I just drive on and don't bother looking).

I haven't EVER given a FP to an evil hide. I reserve them for creative hides and containers. A fake rock in an area of riprap is evil, and I haven't favorited either of the two I have found in that situation (Now, I just drive on and don't bother looking).

THIS. You want a favorite from me, you don't earn it by wasting hours of my life.

What kind of "evil caches"?

Around here, we sometimes distinguish between "bad evil" caches and "good evil" caches.

The "bad evil" caches are just tedious, and not at all creative. Any "needle in a haystack" hide will qualify: a fake rock among a pile of similar rocks, a fake wood chip among a pile of wood chips, that sort of thing.

The "good evil" caches are creative. These are the kind where you think to yourself, "surely it couldn't be hidden THERE", and sure enough, that's where you find it.

Anyway, are you familiar with the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread? The posts towards the end of the thread are probably more useful, because a lot of the photos earlier in the thread have suffered from bitrot.

Around here "evil" caches are clever hides that are devilishly hard to find.

Yes. In my vernacular, "evil" means when I find it I say "WOW!" As opposed the "nasty" caches. If I find those, I say "Why did I bother?"

Agree. I don't make many "evil" caches. I consider an evil cache one that usually takes more than one visit to locate. But NOT the "needle in the haystack" type (which are my least favorite kinds of hides). It takes more time to locate because it is hidden in a most unique manner. One of mine is "hidden in plain sight" and has 34 FP (46%) simply because as Harry Dolphin stated, when they find it, the tell me, "I can't believe it was right there!!!!" They curse me with a smile on their face and I know we are both happy!

I found one that was a magnet, with a couple of reflective numbers on it, stuck on a guardrail. It was the sort of thing that looks like it belongs there, don't know what the number means but I'm sure it's significant to someone... wait, it moved when I touched it! There was a little bitty hollow on the back, just big enough for a micro log.

Anybody have any ideas on how to make an evil cache that is simple to make?

Lamp post caches are for sure "EVIL!" :laughing:

Yes, lamp post caches are SIMPLE to make. Yes, the first person to make a lamp post cache was being creative and evil. Most copiers of that orignal lamp post cache are today considered cheap, lazy, and non-creative by most other geocachers. It's just been done too many times to be considered clever, creative, or even evil.

OK, here's an idea for an evil simple cache. I'm not sure if it would be classified as "good evil" or "bad evil". I would lean toward "bad evil".

Go to a forest with lots of trees. Look for a tree with a small knothole (where a lower branch had died, fallen off, and rotted out a little). Now look on the forest floor and find a small fallen branch that is about the same size diameter as the knothole and is a close match color/bark match as the tree with the knothole. Place a micro/nano cache (blinkie or small bison tube) in the knothole and then insert the branch in the hole on top of it.

The hardest part of making this cache is finding a suitable tree and matching branch, but the cost and other preparation work is minimal.

Prepare yourself to receive some flaming on-line logs as this is almost as evil as they get... a very well concealed nano in the woods.

Edited by medoug

I would classify most cache owners who put out "evil bad" caches as sadists (a person who gets pleasure from torturing others and from being cruel to them).

Those who put out "evil good" caches want people to enjoy the struggle and realization that they should use their minds more than their eyes when geocaching once the cache is found. There is usually much more satisfaction finding a tricky, cleverly-hidden cache than one that is hidden in the same old way or one that requires tedious, repetitive action to find. It's all about thinking "outside the box".

Mine are good evil that most cachers don't seem to mind repeated visits til they find it.

GC1WFJF

Think of how many favorites it would have if it wasn't a premium-members-only cache!

Since only premium members could place those favorite points, it seems to be doing just fine. :)

Edited by cerberus1
  • Love 1

^ True. I forgot that. It'd get more visits and praising logs if it were open to all though.

Perhaps it's of a construction nature that makes it unsuitable for the general geocaching population trying out the free app on their phones.

I started caching in the days when you needed to make at least an $80 commitment by purchasing a GPSr to participate.... meaning you were more serious (like premium members) about maintaining the quality of the game.

Let's (including myself) try to get back on the original poster's request by giving ideas instead of arguing what makes a cache evil, good, or bad. I've only seen 3 ideas posted so far, yet lots of people talking about the evil caches they have found or created without giving any details of these caches themselves.

Please share these ideas so we can have more great evil caches!

Easiest I can think of is Spray foam poo. All you need is a can of Great Stuff spray foam and some exterior paints. One can of this stuff can make a lot of cow pies or fake rocks. You carve out a little hole underneath for a micro w/log and you're good to go.

We've found a few in the middle a nowhere that were okay...

The couple in roadside dog parks, not so much.

Let's (including myself) try to get back on the original poster's request by giving ideas instead of arguing what makes a cache evil, good, or bad. I've only seen 3 ideas posted so far, yet lots of people talking about the evil caches they have found or created without giving any details of these caches themselves.

Please share these ideas so we can have more great evil caches!

Just a couple posts show "evil" has a few meanings.

As the OP hasn't come back to say what is (to them...) an "evil" cache, folks are sharing their experiences on those kinda hides and their opinions of evil vs nasty to help them out a bit. :)

Evil to me is something small, magnetic, looks like a part of a bolt or some such paraphanalia. The sort of thing you find on a street sign such as the corner of Clarke and Kent that requires extra ordinary anti muggle skills to retrieve. And is called Superman Corner. That is evil! Also bad for caching because it takes a fast moving caped crusading cacher to retrieve it!

I am not sure about this one: I found a cache which was hidden inside a decay fungus on a tree stem. The owner took the effort to take a dead fungus, drill a hole in it and screw the thing onto a dead tree. It was like the first thing that I checked, the fungus was moist, so I supposed it was alive and let it be. Only after searching for half an hour (it was a mystery, so I was motivated to find it) I revisited the fungus and found the screws ...

I mean, the idea is great, quite easily implemented and no harm done. On the other hand, I prefer not to berserk around in the woods trying to find that micro ...

Great idea, gave me some headache, and in the end a rewarding find. But on the other hand - don't such things over time encourage recklessness and destruction?

I mean, I am quite new to geocaching, and I really don't know what to think about "evil" (in the positive sense, as mentioned above) non-urban caches. Does a cool hiding idea (and the satisfaction of finding it) merit the trampling around in some forest this will inevitably cause?

I found a cache which was hidden inside a decay fungus on a tree stem. The owner took the effort to take a dead fungus, drill a hole in it and screw the thing onto a dead tree.

...snip...

Great idea, gave me some headache, and in the end a rewarding find. But on the other hand - don't such things over time encourage recklessness and destruction?

Yep.

And odds are that the method of attachment probably wasn't presented to the Reviewer before published.

I found a cache which was hidden inside a decay fungus on a tree stem. The owner took the effort to take a dead fungus, drill a hole in it and screw the thing onto a dead tree.

...snip...

Yep.

And odds are that the method of attachment probably wasn't presented to the Reviewer before published.

Dead tree and dead fungus. Are we not allowed to drill holes and use screws on dead things? Seems no more harmful than piling up dead sticks or loose rocks to make a hiding place for a cache. I've found several caches which have been hidden in hollowed out dead pieces of wood.