WV Geocachers Get Together Part 2

mikedx

I thought maybe I'd get the ball rolling towards our next cache get together. Looking at my caches, I have noticed that there is a great many more new cachers out in WV. I'm looking for ideas & suggestions. I thought maybe May would be a good month, so that we can get outdoors, and hopefully meet many who couldn't attend before.

So to start out with some questions...

1. When? I assume Sat or Sun would be best due to travel time. Anybody want to pick out weekends they couldn't make it in May?

2a. Where? Outdoors, obviously. Now Sutton is the geographical center of the state. But last time we discussed this we had no one east of Roane county that posted. If there is anybody out east that perfers Sutton, please post. Otherwise Charleston seemed to work for everybody before, parks such as Coonskin and Little Creek come to mind.

2b. Where? Would anyone mind pitching in a few dollars to rent a shelter? What do you guys think about bringing a pot luck lunch?

3. Activities? We could christen a new permanent cache for this, and geowhiz and I thought about hiding some minicaches and having a game that day where you team up with somebody you don't know and see which team can find all the mini's first.

4. Associating? I'm not sure I'm all that hip to forming a WV Geocachers Society (when we could be spending that time caching), but I'm hearing rumors that some people at the State Parks are working to ban caches there. We need some kind of coalition to speak to them and let them know that it is better for them.

Anyway, we are only in the beginning stages of this, and I would like to hear ideas and try to work with the majority rule.

Thanks,

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by mikedx:

I thought maybe May would be a good month, so that we can get outdoors, and hopefully meet many who couldn't attend before.

Mike

May is going to be a really BUSY month for me as far as Saturdays are concerned but Sunday afternoons should be OK, with the exception of the 23rd.

I'd be more than happy to chip in on the rental fee's for a shelter anywhere. icon_smile.gif

The GAME idea is great! icon_smile.gif

The opposition to State Park caching concerns me very much... icon_frown.gif do you really think there is a danger there? If so...WV Cachers should have a voice in the matter. I've ran into RED TAPE GALORE with the National Parks in the past icon_mad.gif(different circumstances) but haven't heard anything about the State Parks. I think the main concern is communications, no matter what the activity, no one likes to be taken for granted. There needs to be an avenue to pass information back and forth if there is a real danger of caching being prohibited in state parks. icon_confused.gif It can harm our sport and the enjoyment of the outdoors.

The Feds are more "preservation" oriented, the state is more "use" oriented.

I would love to attend the spring get together but the only Sunday I have off in may is the first one. Not sure of that date I don't have a calander in front of me. But maybe I could work something out like I did last time if I knew far enough in advance... I am in agreement that we need to look into the state park situation. We have some of the beautifulist parks in the country. My wife and I love camping in our parks especilay Pipestem..I have placed 2 caches ther myself and would hate to see them removed...Onet and Biscuit placed a wonderful one there (Pipestem Crypto) that got me on a trail in that park I have never been on before..

Let me know about a date and I am willing to help in any way I can...

Mike, How did you hear about the things with the state parks?

I think maybe we need to contact the Folks in Pennyslvania and seek some guidence. They seem to have work out a good system with there parks...

The rumor is said to have originated at a certain WV park where one of our geocachers and her granddaughter got lost on the ridge while attempting to find a geocache and ended up spending the night. When I heard the rumor I emailed the park superintendent and received confirmation that in fact the rumor was "not" true and would very much like to know where it started so that it could be stopped. If any of you out there have any information about this please share.

I am currently trying to get first hand info from the cacher who talked about the prob with the state park people. I guess I should have got the facts to begin with, but will do so now.

I went by the engineering expo today and talked with some people from the state parks. They told me to go straight to the top and gave me the chief and assistant chief's name and number. I'll go ahead and talk to them. I'll mention that fact that I work for the WV Department of Environmental Protection to try to add some credibility.

I'll update everyone when I get more info.

Thanks,

Mike

Right now it looks like I'll be busy every other Saturday (including 5/10,) and free on Sundays. Than can easily change, though. For the most part, I can probably move what I'm doing on a Saturday to other days.

I hope everything goes well with the parks. It sounds like they're ok with caching for now--especially those that cache themselves. icon_smile.gif

We'd also like to help in setting up some caches for the event. Temp (and often permanent) caches set up for events we visited made the events even more fun!

June or later is also fine with me, but we're hoping to go to another picnic in early June. We might want to talk with the people that put together the South East Pennsylvania Geocachers Picnic--that went very well last year. I doubt we'd do as much as they did, but I know we'll have a great time with our group!

Where does everyone live (or prefer to travel to) that might be at the event? We could try to get a central location for those going. (St. Albans here.)

Tony

Anytime on weekend is fine with me. I think it would be a great thing to haave a State Park Official come to out meeting and meet us. I think alot of fears go away when you meet the people you are worried about and let them know we are a Park Friendly bunch of Folks. I would be interested in some Volunteer project to do something for one of the Parks give us credit for it. For that we need an Organization, a Name and a Budget. icon_razz.gif

I just got off the phone with the assistant chief of WV State Parks & recreation. He told me that for the most part they are all for it, as it gets people out to their parks. His exception is that a certain someone and their grandaughtEr got Lost In the woods at Beech Fork State Park. He said it was a problem for them cuz they didn't know that there were any caches out there. Had they known where the cache was, they could have got to her sooner.

He suggested as a courtesy that we alert the local parks when we place a cache. Other than that, he said that they are opposed to making rules or regulations. He said they were for less laws, not more.

I am supposed to be talking to the girl from the parks who is specifically looking into geocaching on Monday. I'll be sure to invite her on a cache hunt.

I'd definetly like to come to the event. I know of another new geocacher in Elkins who would be interested too. I'll have to check on the free weekends. I'm in Baltimore right now, but I'll be able to check next week. I would not be able to make it on a Sunday that I have my boy because I have to have him to his mommy in Elkins at 6:00PM. I get him every other weekend.

Anytime is good for me except saturday morns..Wife works till 11:30 every saturday. If it's in the afternoon hours it should be no prob. I can try to help out with the shelter money also. Hope to meet everybody there. Also Mr. DX can you please email me at tvsads@ntelos.net I have an Idea for the event which may interest you. Yeeehaaaaa!!!

Geocacher currently living in Smithers WV (close to Montgomery). I would be interested in attending such a meeting. May is good for me. Also, as a side note to MikeDX: know of any engineering jobs around? I'm a Mech. Eng. student at Tech. One year left. You can email me at coreytharp@hotmail.com

Anywhere near Charleston is good. I think that would be close for everyone to drive. Coonskin or Kanawha State Forest somewhere. Sorry to use this as a discussion forum, but Mike, I may have deleted your email by accident; could you please send again? Thanks a million!

So the lady to talk to from the WV State Parks called me up today. She said that there was NO truth to the rumors that anyone was trying to pull caches out of the state parks. She said she got some information on us that there were actual families that geocaches (don't know who she thought we were). She said she thought it was great that it got us out into their parks. I invited her to do Molly's Folly, and she said she and her supervisor would be happy to attend. Will invite you guys to go with us when we pick a date.

I sent her a bunch of links to what geocaching is all about.

I also invited her & anyone from WV State Parks to come to the get together. She said she would like to attend. I'll ask her if she's so happy about geocaching that she'll give us a discount on a shelter. Imagine being able to say WV geocaching get together, sponsered by WV State Parks. Bet Pennsylvania would be envious of us.

I've had two maybe nots about the 8th. If I hear much more, I'll just have to bite the bullet and change it back to May 18th. I know you can't please everybody, but I really did want to be able to see everybody.

Mike

I'll be a new resident to WV on 5/15. Just in time, If you don't mind a VA imigrant attending. I'll be moving to Charles Town, but Charleston is great, since it's the only city that major airlines fly into. If it's more than 4 hours drive, I prefer flying. It'll be good to meet people and see parts of the state I've never been to before.

Hey WV gang, My schedule just got lightened of one job, Bout Time icon_biggrin.gif. I will do all I can to get there, especially if it is in KSF. Thanks for following up on this MikeDX. This two job thing and inventory here has been rough on me to talk to any of you guys lately icon_frown.gif, by the way I do miss you guys and geocaching. That is about to change along with my numbers. I am gonna catch you MITW & Eli.

I can't speak for everyone here in WV but mogolloyd I would love to have a VA transplant. Youz is family any wayz, jist cross the hill there. Not like it is one of those D*mn Yankees from NJ like Briansnat. LOL. Just in case you read this Brian Love Man. LOL.

We had a really good turn out at the last one, and I hope to see more at this one. Bet you don't have snow at your's Mike. At least I hope not. LOL.

Anyway hope to see the WV Geocaching Family again soon.

The Important Things Are Always Simple and The Simple Things Are Always Hard.

quote:
Originally posted by mikedx:

Imagine being able to say WV geocaching get together, sponsered by WV State Parks. Bet Pennsylvania would be envious of us.

Been there, done that. icon_biggrin.gif Our upcoming Cache-in, Trash-out Event Cache on April 26th is being presented in full partnership with the management of Raccoon Creek State Park. They've donated the trash bags, trail tools and the largest picnic pavilion in the park, complete with running water and flush toilets. (Do they have *THOSE* in West Virginia?) This weekend, I'll be hiding new caches in the park, with permission... the ranger even suggested the most evil spots in which to place a cache, one of which the staff calls "The Vortex."

The event is just spittin' distance from the WV border and Tomlinson Run State Park, home of the northernmost West Virginia cache. So, you'd feel right at home. I hope that a few Mountaineers might be able to attend. Did I mention that the food is FREE?

Likewise, there's a chance that the Leprechauns might be able to join you in May, if you don't mind gate-crashers. Regardless of whether we can visit in person, I'd be delighted to assist any of you with tips on how to work with State Park officials and to develop a geocaching policy. Sounds like you're making great progress, as the first step is convincing them that caching is a great activity.

Let's keep the inter-state abuse directed at New Jersey, where it rightly belongs.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

...management of Raccoon Creek State Park. They've donated the trash bags, trail tools and the largest picnic pavilion in the park, complete with running water and flush toilets. (Do they have *THOSE* in West Virginia?)...

Let's keep the inter-state abuse directed at New Jersey, where it rightly belongs.

Sure, Leprechaun--question the quality of WV park toilets then deflect our responces to NJ... Nice move there. icon_smile.gif

Mike, we were very lucky. There was a statewide parks and recreation conference at the beginning of march, attended by land managers from all over Pennsylvania (state parks and otherwise). Two geocachers participated in a panel discussion of geocaching, which familiarized everyone with what our sport is about, showed them how to use the website, and explained the new Pennsylvania policy (which is pro-geocaching, for the most part).

You should consider finding out whether there is a similar annual conference for park officials in West Virginia, and then write the organizers and offer to make a presentation. It was *very* helpful to be able to reach so many people at one time, instead of just the people in the state capital. Proof: when our local park was contacted last month about a CITO event, they knew all about geocaching and were quite receptive to it.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL

Shelter #8 at KSF has been reserved. I have updated the coordinates on the cache page and have added coordinates & directions on how to get there.

Please note that they will WAIVE the $70 shelter fee IF we do the trash out that MITW is talking about at KSF. It doesn't have to be earth day, but we need to get together to do it.

Don't forget to bring some food & your GPS.

Mike

Hey everyone I am going to try and make it. Right now I would place the chances at 50/50. I have the day off from work and if by chance the wife and I decide to not head out for Pipestem to camp I'll be in town so will definatly be there. Not sure what I will bring to eat. May just pay KFC a visit for a bucket....Looking foward to seeing all of you guys again.....

Despite the weather, the picnic was a blast. I was glad to put some faces and personalities with the names. Everyone was really nice. That is uncommon for a group of strangers meeting for the first time. I look forward to the next one. I may have to host one myself. We enjoyed the company on the trail to Man in the wild's new cache. I hope to run into a few of you on some other caches.

Hey jeepman74....your offer to host the next WV get-together sounds good to me....Mikedx is trying to railroad me into doing it....I sure enjoyed seeing everyone at Kanawha State Forest.

quote:
Originally posted by jeepman74:

Despite the weather, the picnic was a blast. I was glad to put some faces and personalities with the names. Everyone was really nice. That is uncommon for a group of strangers meeting for the first time. I look forward to the next one. I may have to host one myself. We enjoyed the company on the trail to Man in the wild's new cache. I hope to run into a few of you on some other caches.

"Joy in looking and comprehending

is nature's most beautiful gift."

-Albert Einstein