Play Wherigo on my Samsung phone?

Pond Bird

Wherigo only has an app for iOS. The only app for Android is WhereYouGo

Where do I go to ask them to put Wherigo back in Google play store then?

There's no where to go. The "Wherigo" app was not developed for Android, so it cannot be 'put back' in the Google play store. Playing Wherigo cartridges on Android can be done with the "WhereYouGo" app, which myself and several other cachers in this thread have been able to use.

It might be worth trying the "WhereYouGo" app again and then asking in the forums if there are specific things in that app that aren't working for you.

There's no where to go. The "Wherigo" app was not developed for Android, so it cannot be 'put back' in the Google play store. Playing Wherigo cartridges on Android can be done with the "WhereYouGo" app, which myself and several other cachers in this thread have been able to use.

It might be worth trying the "WhereYouGo" app again and then asking in the forums if there are specific things in that app that aren't working for you.

Why can't the "Wherigo" app be developed for Android? Android phones work better than iPhones and more people have Android anyways. I try to download cartridges into the WhereYouGo app and theres no way to do it. It keeps saying I haven't downloaded any, when I have.

Why can't the "Wherigo" app be developed for Android? Android phones work better than iPhones and more people have Android anyways. I try to download cartridges into the WhereYouGo app and theres no way to do it. It keeps saying I haven't downloaded any, when I have.

The "Wherigo" app could be developed for Android, but that would be a new development effort. The app would need to be developed for the Android system. You could contact the developers of the "Wherigo" app and request that they create an Android version.

For the "WhereYouGo" app, here are a few tips that might help.

• When you download cartridges from the Wherigo.com website, there is a drop-down menu asking "Download cartridge file for:" -- make sure that you select "Pocket PC Device" and then click the "download" button.
  • Downloaded files generally go to a default folder in your phone. You'll need to find the downloaded files in your phone. For my phone, I use the "File Manager" app, then "All Files" --> "Internal Storage" --> "Download". The cartridge file appears in that folder, named something like "xxxxx.gwc".
  • I then "Move" that file to the "All Files" --> "Internal Storage" --> "WhereYouGo" folder.
  • Then when I open the WhereYouGo app and click on "Start", a pop-up menu appears for me to "Choose Cartridge" and that cartridge that I moved to the WhereYouGo folder is in the list to choose from.

Let us know if these steps don't work on your phone. It might help to let us know which phone you're using too.

The "Wherigo" app could be developed for Android, but that would be a new development effort. The app would need to be developed for the Android system. You could contact the developers of the "Wherigo" app and request that they create an Android version.

• When you download cartridges from the Wherigo.com website, there is a drop-down menu asking "Download cartridge file for:" -- make sure that you select "Pocket PC Device" and then click the "download" button.
  • Downloaded files generally go to a default folder in your phone. You'll need to find the downloaded files in your phone. For my phone, I use the "File Manager" app, then "All Files" --> "Internal Storage" --> "Download". The cartridge file appears in that folder, named something like "xxxxx.gwc".
  • I then "Move" that file to the "All Files" --> "Internal Storage" --> "WhereYouGo" folder.
  • Then when I open the WhereYouGo app and click on "Start", a pop-up menu appears for me to "Choose Cartridge" and that cartridge that I moved to the WhereYouGo folder is in the list to choose from.

Let us know if these steps don't work on your phone. It might help to let us know which phone you're using too.

I've done everything but tell them to put the Wherigo app in the Google Play store. And I'm using a Samsung Galaxy. Who developed the Wherigo app that I can contact?

I've done everything but tell them to put the Wherigo app in the Google Play store. And I'm using a Samsung Galaxy. Who developed the Wherigo app that I can contact?

Apps running on iOS use Objective C as their language (and I think Apple wants to use Swift, too). Apps on Android are developed using Java. In addition to this, the way iOS and Android require their user interfaces to be outlined is different. Translating an iOS app into an Android app is a daunting task. It's a compliment to spstanley's work that you want his app in Google Play.

That said, before anyone points it out, let me contradict myself. There is a library called Xamarin. If you build an app using Xamarin and do it well, it will ease development between iOS and Android. We already have an app almost ready to go that uses Xamarin. We want to wait for the Groundspeak partnership so we can add some necessary functionality, but we might end up releasing part of it before then. The main developers on this project are mangatome, charlenni, and matejcik. I'm happy with how it's coming along!

I don't know how the iTunes store is set-up, but in general - when you go the page for an app, there is usually a place that says who the developer is and there is usually a link to contact them or go to their website.

Again, it's not they can simply "put" the app in the Google Play store. They would have to develop another version of the app, so that it will run on the Android OS. That means they will have to spend time and money converting their app. How much depends on how they built the iOS app initially.

If you really want to play Wherigo's on your Android phone, then working through the WhereYouGo app is probably your best bet. Which Galaxy? I plan to test WhereYouGo on an S7, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I don't know how the iTunes store is set-up, but in general - when you go the page for an app, there is usually a place that says who the developer is and there is usually a link to contact them or go to their website.

Again, it's not they can simply "put" the app in the Google Play store. They would have to develop another version of the app, so that it will run on the Android OS. That means they will have to spend time and money converting their app. How much depends on how they built the iOS app initially.

If you really want to play Wherigo's on your Android phone, then working through the WhereYouGo app is probably your best bet. Which Galaxy? I plan to test WhereYouGo on an S7, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I finally got it to work. But it was a pain in my eyes. There is a seperate app on my phone that needed me to move the file into another folder. It's complicated!

I finally got it to work. But it was a pain in my eyes. There is a seperate app on my phone that needed me to move the file into another folder. It's complicated!

Glad you were able to get it working! It will seem much easier once you've gone through it a couple times. And yes - the key is making sure the .gwc file is in the WhereYouGo folder, as that is the folder where the app looks for Wherigo cartridge files. If the file is somewhere else in your phone, then the WhereYouGo app won't find it. Have fun!