NJ/NY Meeting?

Team Shibby

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shibby:

How often do people meet in the area? Is there a welcoming spring party or something? If not there should be! Maybe we can plan it!

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs & Kar

This is a good idea as the New Jersey cachers haven't had a meet in quite a while. The only questions are where and when. I just might be able to attend now that I'm no longer busy trying to make it to a milestone find. (Got #500 in Rhode Island on Saturday!)

Met with BassoonPilot today and we spoke about this. Team Excession held one last year and about 12 people showed. I hid a cache in a Morris County Park (FEARGUS I). It has every ammenity you need. Tables, bar-b-que pits, public toilet, boating, fishing, baseball, covered shelter, etc. Best about this, its free admission. I can look into this and see if a permit is needed for a large group. Think about this and post your responses. I am willing to help but I would need one or two geocachers to assist. Good Idea?

[This message was edited by ptk on March 28, 2002 at 05:55 PM.]

I'll mention that if Morris County doesn't pan out, Warren Park here in Middlsex county (where our Nymph/Dryad/Spright trilogy caches are hidden) is another well equiped park . It's also very centrally located to all major roads...and I'm not just saying that because it's close to us. :-)

quote:
Originally posted by ptk:

Met with BassoonPilot today and we spoke about this. Team Excession held one last year and about 12 people showed. I hid a cache in a Morris County Park (FEARGUS I). It has every ammenity you need. Tables, bar-b-que pits, public toilet, boating, fishing, baseball, covered shelter, etc. Best about this, its free admission. I can look into this and see if a permit is needed for a large group. Think about this and post your responses. I am willing to help but I would need one or two geocachers to assist. Good Idea?

[This message was edited by ptk on March 28, 2002 at 05:55 PM.]

PTK has a great idea for a place to meet. Silas Condict Park in Morris County is a great place for a picnic. You do need a permit, but there is a large shelter (room for 50 or more people), so it can be a rain or shine event. They even allow beer with the permit for those who are so inclined (as I would be). Also, there are about a half dozen caches within 2 miles of the park, and another 20 or 30 caches within 10 miles. icon_wink.gif

PTK has a great idea for a place to meet. Silas Condict Park in Morris County is a great place for a picnic. You do need a permit, but there is a large shelter (room for 50 or more people), so it can be a rain or shine event. They even allow beer with the permit for those who are so inclined (as I would be). Also, there are about a half dozen caches within 2 miles of the park, and another 20 or 30 caches within 10 miles. icon_wink.gif

I called Morris County Park Commission and the person who issues permits was not at work. I could not receive any other information on the cost, open dates, etc. I will call on Monday for detailed information. I would beleive Memorial Day has been booked. I also agree the traffic may be very heavy. Nevertheless a picnic is needed. North or Central Jersey. We read about each others exploits, so lets meet the person. Please keep your comments coming

I am only into this geocaching thing for 3 months now but have had a great time and seeing many places in my home state I never have gone to.

From reading logs I feel it would be great to put a face to some of these people. So Jungle Green and I had thought of a special event cache in the late afternoon after people had been out geocaching, they could stop by for picnic dinner and/or dessert.

Jungle green and I have a Morris County park pavillion reserved for July 27 for a family affair but were thinking of getting the full day's value out of it and using it for a special event geocache after the family affair. Maybe geocache at 4:30 or 5pm

That is a long way a way yet but it is a possibility.

More to come later, sorry cannot guarantee anything yet.

Orange, what park are you talking about?

I am going to call the Morris County Park Commission tommorrow about prices and availability. I would like to have a get-together in a place where you can meet rain or shine.

I thought a date within the first two weeks of May starting early in the morning. Since those geocachers with kids can leave

How about having a quick secondary get-together after your family affair?

Please keep sending your comments. It will be nice to meet as many cachers as possible.

icon_eek.gif

I am going to call the Morris County Park Commission tommorrow about prices and availability. I would like to have a get-together in a place where you can meet rain or shine.

I thought a date within the first two weeks of May starting early in the morning. Since those geocachers with kids can leave

Please keep sending your comments. It will be nice to meet as many cachers as possible.

icon_eek.gif

Team Shibby,

Thanks for throwing in a word for us NY'rs. I'd love to come to the get together but it does kind of depend on where it's held. We would have been to last years if it weren't for a wedding we had to attend. We've been talking about a NY get together too so if you guys head south we'll just count on our's over here. It's hard to keep everyone happy icon_smile.gif

Team Shibby,

Thanks for throwing in a word for us NY'rs. I'd love to come to the get together but it does kind of depend on where it's held. We would have been to last years if it weren't for a wedding we had to attend. We've been talking about a NY get together too so if you guys head south we'll just count on our's over here. It's hard to keep everyone happy icon_smile.gif

The cost for a park reservation varies by the number of people that the pavillion or picnic area can accomodate. Range from $25 to $100 and alcohol permit is an extra $25. Most summer time dates for pavillions are probably taken but for the early May time frame you may be able to get something. Certainly you can get a picnic area.

For now I am mum on which park I have but once I am sure I want to do a special event geocache I will post it. The park currently does have a cache in it. I was thinking that mostly more local geocachers would come to mine if I do it but of course it would be open to all.

This discussion is for a much broader area than I had imagined.

quote:

icon_eek.gif

The cost for a park reservation varies by the number of people that the pavillion or picnic area can accomodate. Range from $25 to $100 and alcohol permit is an extra $25. Most summer time dates for pavillions are probably taken but for the early May time frame you may be able to get something. Certainly you can get a picnic area.

For now I am mum on which park I have but once I am sure I want to do a special event geocache I will post it. The park currently does have a cache in it. I was thinking that mostly more local geocachers would come to mine if I do it but of course it would be open to all.

This discussion is for a much broader area than I had imagined.

quote:

icon_eek.gif

I called the Morris County Park Commission this morning and obtained the following information:

For Silas Conduit Park In Kinnelon NJ

Saturday May 11, 2002 - Covered Pavillon Open

Sunday May 12, 2002 - Mother's Day - Rented

Saturday May 18, 2002 - Covered Pavillon Open

Cost for County Resident:

$75.00 for group of 25 people.

TELEPHONE # 973-326-7631

Reservationist is Joan or Pat. Since it is early in the year most dates are open for rental.

What is nice about the covered pavillon is it is close to public toilets. The picnic can be held rain or shine.

I am open to suggestions. Please post your comments.

Sounds good to me. The earlier in the day the better. I know from past experience that it's best to have someone arrive at Silas Condict very early to make sure no one attempts to pirate your reserved area . . . I guess it should be reserved when ten people show interest and agree to donate a few bucks towards the reservation fee. I will.

I expect to be there. May 11th or 18th are fine with me, as are most Saturdays. Sundays are no good for me, as I work on an archaeological excavation (http://home.att.net/~briansnat)in the morning and I coach soccer most Sunday afternoons.

Silas Condict park is an ideal place and not just because it's 2 miles from my house. Route 287 provides easy access from NY and most of NJ and as a bounus, there are a large number of Geocaches within 15 miles of the park, so participants can head off to add to their finds. Best of all, the large pavillion makes for a rain or shine event and they allow the all important beer (with the permit). Finally, I found my first Geocache (Feargus) there. let me know where I can send my check to get this started