One island and three Countries

Arne1

[...]

In comparison with this waste, in Europe there is a country which has not received the right to have their Groundspek-country!

Please be more specific. Which country do you mean?

Hans

NB: I doubt you meant Ladonia.

Oh, nooo, Sorry, I dont know about Ladonia.

I mean Kosovo !

One simple reason, the UN does not recognize Kosovo as a country.

And UNO recognize triply Nevis and St Kitts ?

[...]

In comparison with this waste, in Europe there is a country which has not received the right to have their Groundspek-country!

Please be more specific. Which country do you mean?

Hans

NB: I doubt you meant Ladonia.

Oh, nooo, Sorry, I dont know about Ladonia.

I mean Kosovo !

One simple reason, the UN does not recognize Kosovo as a country.

And UNO recognize triply Nevis and St Kitts ?

There are two different issues here.

Saint Kitts and Nevis is a recognized country and that is the official name. However, if you go to Hide a cache page, you'll find that you can enter "Saint Kitts and Nevis" or "St. Kitts" or "Nevis and St Kitts" you'll find that all three center the map on the island. Basically, they're all just labels for the name of the country and it doesn't really matter on the cache page. The country/territories recognized by GS all have a unique country_ID and even if you found all three of those caches you'd get credit for one country.

In the case of Kosovo, as it was mentioned, it's not recognized by the UN or the ISO-3166 country codes standard, nor are Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland as well as a few disputed countries/territories (Palenstine). For the most part, the list of countries/territories follows the UN countries list which is why you won't find any caches listed in Kosovo, Scotland, etc.

Recently returned from St. Kitts and Nevis and did get credit for two separate countries. This is obviously in error.

There are other similar foul ups in the Caribbean, one that I have written about previously. Netherlands Antilles was dissolved in 2010 but is still country designation on many caches. The island of St. Martin is divided into separate Dutch and French 'countries'. The designation on some seemingly refers to the island not the country as St. Martin is arbitrarily used on both sides, along wit NA. The Dutch side, Sint Maarten is not recognized for country designation although each of the other former constituents of the Netherlands Antilles are.

To digress even further, I like souvenirs. I like getting them when I add the new country, not retroactively if ever.

My 2 cents? Souvenirs for ALL countries - including tiny Saba!

To whine further, Groundspeak has no Flag on file for Saba.

Sorry. I'll go away now.

Recently returned from St. Kitts and Nevis and did get credit for two separate countries. This is obviously in error.

Sorry. I'll go away now.

Groundspeak has a flags somewhere? I've never seen..

There are other similar foul ups in the Caribbean, one that I have written about previously. Netherlands Antilles was dissolved in 2010 but is still country designation on many caches. The island of St. Martin is divided into separate Dutch and French 'countries'. The designation on some seemingly refers to the island not the country as St. Martin is arbitrarily used on both sides, along wit NA. The Dutch side, Sint Maarten is not recognized for country designation although each of the other former constituents of the Netherlands Antilles are.

To digress even further, I like souvenirs. I like getting them when I add the new country, not retroactively if ever.

My 2 cents? Souvenirs for ALL countries - including tiny Saba!

Sorry. I'll go away now.

I didn't mention the Netherlands Antilles debacle but that has certainly come up here before. The question I have is whether or not a cache placed prior to 2010 should still be categorized as Netherland Antilles or with it's post 2010 ID. It seems like adding a flag for Saba should be a really simple fix.

GS has said that they hope to have souvenirs for all countries at some point. It's take a long time though to see a souvenir for all of them when they only release 10 or so a year. I have yet to find a cache in the Caribbean but for the 21 countries in which I have found a cache I only have souvenirs for 12 of them.

Too bad country designations, d/t ratings, flags, etc. cannot be frozen as earned and updated as required so that future finders would get appropriate based on date found.

Do you think that it would be 'more rewarding,' to look at your profile after the find and find a new souvenir rather than randomly in the future... maybe?

Too bad country designations, d/t ratings, flags, etc. cannot be frozen as earned

[FEATURE] Include D/T rating in Found It log

I've only cached in two countries: US of A and Canada. (Though I have been to Mexico, USVI, Puerto Rico and Sint Maarten/Saint Martin.) (Somewhere there is a photo of me at the "Welcome to France" sign entering Saint Martin.) We had considered a trip to Saint Pierre y Miquelon, to get the France souvenir. But the second cache was hidden there, and the 'country' change to something else.

I'm working on the 81 D/T squares. How many of them are accurate? Twelve Terrain 5 caches? Two required boating, but the lowered the reservoir for maintenance, so I walked to them. The rest? Nah. Three months working on the puzzle, with twelve miles of walking/driving/subway? No. Not really a 5 terrain.

Some cachers over-exaggerate the D/T. (That 4 terrain was probably a 3 at worst.) Some seem to throw a dart at the board to determine the D/T rating. GC does not check such things, except requiring the wheel-chair attribute for T1.

es. I would like to see them frozen. I went 75 miles for that 4.5/4. The CO who changed the terrain from 3.5 to 5 because of the barberries might change it back. I went there for that rating. Yes. I think GC should freeze them at what they were rated when I found them.

If a cacher finds a cache that they feel the D/T rating is not correct, they are free to post a log other than a 'found it'. They can express their opinion, and why they are not claiming the find. Everyone has their own personal integrity to manage as they see fit.

Personally if I find it, I claim the find, and take the rating as in a game of chance. I may not agree with it, but it is what it is.

If a cacher finds a cache that they feel the D/T rating is not correct, they are free to post a log other than a 'found it'. They can express their opinion, and why they are not claiming the find. Everyone has their own personal integrity to manage as they see fit.

Personally if I find it, I claim the find, and take the rating as in a game of chance. I may not agree with it, but it is what it is.

There is a discussion in another thread about freezing D/T ratings at the time of the find (or more realistically at the time of the online log). In order for that to happen GS would have to make changes to the database structure such that the D/T rating was persisted to the database for every cache find by every geocacher. If the country ID at the time of the find was saved as well that's another piece of data that would have to be saved. It would significantly increase the size of the database. Even if they did implement such a change there would be no way to go back in time to capture the D/T or other attributes about a cache at ever point in time for the past 15 years.

As 2-hobbits suggests, "it is what it is" and knowing that we're all on the same playing field when it comes to how stats are collected is all we really can ask for. The best way to guarentee that you'll have a 4.5/2 spot filled in on your fizzy grid is to find more than one 4.5/2 cache.

Reminds me of the issue a while back when I discovered that the list had at least one country that didn't actually exist. (It was a typo.)

I tried finding the forum post but wasn't able to find it. (Then again, it could have been during the year or so when feature requests and bug reports had migrated off the forums.)