Email notification no longer opening App

Badcats

So not only have they released a new app in 'alpha' with only 10% of the functionality of the classic app, this morning we awoke to discover that Notification emails no longer open the Classic app (or the new one for that matter). So there is no way of saving all those newly published caches to an offline list for Ftf hunting, without typing in the individual GC codes to the classic search engine.

And while I'm here, has anyone in the design team actually used the 'new' app anywhere other than the office? Oddly there are not mobile phone masts every couple of miles in the Great Outdoors. I know it's not possible to do everything at once but for example, why propritise getting an in app messenger service over getting an offline save function?? It's a Smart Phone App!!! We can already message people via the website, because it's a Smart Phone.

Edited by Badcats

So not only have they released a new app in 'alpha' with only 10% of the functionality of the classic app, this morning we awoke to discover that Notification emails no longer open the Classic app (or the new one for that matter). So there is no way of saving all those newly published caches to an offline list for Ftf hunting, without typing in the individual GC codes to the classic search engine.

And while I'm here, has anyone in the design team actually used the 'new' app anywhere other than the office? Oddly there are not mobile phone masts every couple of miles in the Great Outdoors. I know it's not possible to do everything at once but for example, why propritise getting an in app messenger service over getting an offline save function?? It's a Smart Phone App!!! We can already message people via the website, because it's a Smart Phone.

Yep, just saw that gem this morning. It now opens in the web version, which on my iPhone is pretty useless. For now, it appears that the Classic app is still working, so I'm going to download all my PQs offline NOW for an upcoming vacation just in case.

Notification emails no longer open the Classic app.

I assumed it was just "one of those things" that happen by accident when people change stuff and would be fixed in a matter of hours.

It has not been fixed.

Fix this. Or I'll just have to move my mobile geocaching life to android.

And maybe make these new apps respect the ignore list - because they don't - and they should.

Moving to Android won't resolve the issue, as the same issue is happening in the Android app.

In the Android app forum, a Lackey said that the issue with opening caches in the app would be fixed within the next few weeks. Hopefully they will be fixing the iPhone app at the same time.

The ability to open a coord.info link in the free app is planned for the next release, which should be out in a few weeks.

Yup, dead in the water again with the new geocaching app. Pretty stupid to have to take the geocache name and key or copy/paste it in the app. Clear case of smart technology going backwards. A extremely basic function inoperable. How did that slip by QC and testing?

Moving to Android won't resolve the issue, as the same issue is happening in the Android app.

In the Android app forum, a Lackey said that the issue with opening caches in the app would be fixed within the next few weeks. Hopefully they will be fixing the iPhone app at the same time.

The ability to open a coord.info link in the free app is planned for the next release, which should be out in a few weeks.

hmmm...ok...i have not updated any android app yet from the previous version (3.5.1) and i can say that in android, i'm still able to click on an email notification and have it fire up the geocaching app

while in ios i suddenly wasn't able to (also not having updated the app yet)

I second (and third) the problem.

On both mine and my wife's Iphones, opening a new cache's link from the notifications email would either: open the Classic Geocaching app (before we were forced into installing the "new" and "better" Geocaching app) or give a choice to either open it in the app or in Safari (the web browser)

Now there is no choice and it just opens all cache links in Safari..... I don't want to open it in Safari, nor do I want to load the entire GC webpage, I just want to open it in the app.

Can you Un-fix this?

On both mine and my wife's Iphones, opening a new cache's link from the notifications email would either: open the Classic Geocaching app (before we were forced into installing the "new" and "better" Geocaching app) or give a choice to either open it in the app or in Safari (the web browser)

Now there is no choice and it just opens all cache links in Safari..... I don't want to open it in Safari, nor do I want to load the entire GC webpage, I just want to open it in the app.

Can you Un-fix this?

I'll add my name as fourth.

Was wondering what was up with this and now it is crystal clear, I also thought my old Iphone 4 was to blame. Opening a browser window which has seriously small text to look at a e-mail notification which used to open the app is not acceptable.

Will be patiently waiting for a fix.

Geocaching HQ has responded to this bug a few times in other discussions, indicating that it will be fixed soon.

Where would I find their reply? The problem still remains for me, so "soon" has not happened yet. This problem really kind of breaks the thrill of the hunt. I'm excited for the fix.

Sure is not the phone (just to confirm that beyond any doubt) We (wife and I) just upgraded from a 4 and 4s to a pair of 6's and the same problem, no way to open a cache from a notification directly into the app like we could before :(

As an aside: Perhaps Groundspeak can credit all the members who paid for their now deceased app the purchase price or a portion thereof towards their memberships...... Just a suggestion :)

Can you Un-fix this?

I'll add my name as fourth.

Was wondering what was up with this and now it is crystal clear, I also thought my old Iphone 4 was to blame. Opening a browser window which has seriously small text to look at a e-mail notification which used to open the app is not acceptable.

Will be patiently waiting for a fix.

I also have this problem. I am using an iPhone 6s. When I click a cache link in my Gmail it opens in Google Chrome. Geocaching responded to me on Twitter saying "You might have private model turned on. Turn off private mode & it will work." This is not true. 1) I'm not using Safari and 2) I am not in private mode.

Is there a fix for this yet?

Apparently, for iPhone users, you have to be using the native iPhone email app and Safari. When the cache opens in Safari you can pull down on the screen and there will be an option to open in the app. Still no fix for Gmail app and Google Chrome...

HUH, sure does.....

At least I can open it in the app now without trying to copy/paste GC codes.... now why not make it so I (and everyone else) who receives notifications does not have to tie up / visit the website just to navigate to a new cache.

Thanks Sherminator18

Apparently, for iPhone users, you have to be using the native iPhone email app and Safari. When the cache opens in Safari you can pull down on the screen and there will be an option to open in the app. Still no fix for Gmail app and Google Chrome...

HUH, sure does.....

At least I can open it in the app now without trying to copy/paste GC codes.... now why not make it so I (and everyone else) who receives notifications does not have to tie up / visit the website just to navigate to a new cache.

Thanks Sherminator18

Right. I don't see why it has to take you to the website before you can select to open the app. I liked the old way better. Where you get a pop up asking if you want to open the website (on whatever internet platform you use) or open it in the app. There was a point where I was still getting this option but selecting "Open in App" didn't do anything.

I still don't use the official Geocaching app anyway.

If you're opening your emails then it would bring up the page listing on Geocaching.com site, not on the app, unless you have the notifications sent to your phone which is hard to do but can be done. On my phone if I get a notification I just check my email to see the listing rather than waste my time trying to find it on the phone.

I have email on my phone. When I get an email about a new cache I click the link in that email and it brings me to the geocaching website on my phone. Previously, clicking that link gave me the option to open that cache in the Geocaching App. It no longer does that for the Gmail app.

I think this is a recent change done by Apple. I use a third party app and I used to be able to click on a link in email and have the app open. Now it opens in Safari. However, once in Safari, using the center option (square box with the up arrow) I can then select the third party app. This puts a link on the Safari page and I can then open the third party app. It will pull in all the data into the database.

Edited by igator210

I have email on my phone. When I get an email about a new cache I click the link in that email and it brings me to the geocaching website on my phone. Previously, clicking that link gave me the option to open that cache in the Geocaching App. It no longer does that for the Gmail app.

I think this is a recent change done by Apple. I use a third party app and I used to be able to click on s link in email and have the app open. Now it opens in Safari. However, once in Safari, using the center option (square box with the up arrow) I can then select the third party app. This puts a link on the Safari page and I can then open the third party app. It will pull in all the data into the database.

This is why I don't have an iPhone anymore. My geocaching apps on my Samsung work fine and theres no company named after a fruit to drain my phone's battery so I can use them without worrying my phones gonna die.

If I go into safari and type the following

gcapp://GC68A0M

safari seems to pass that to the geocaching app and open it without bother...so in the past, the website used to get the GC code from the coord.info URL, realize that the device was an iPod/iPhone/iwhatever and returned an URL redirect using the gcapp:// "url" ...then Groundspeak stopped doing it...it's not that it stopped working - the website stopped performing the redirect...and I see no reason why they couldn't start it up again...having said that, I've given up and moved to android...

HUH, sure does.....

Thanks Sherminator18

can you please explain this to me? I have iphone5. I use the native email I believe (comcast on iphone) and safari.

when I get an email notification i click on the cache link.this takes me to a safari page, the only option at the top is the new Geo app, there is no option to open the classic app. I even pull down the safari page but only one app option.

can you please explain this to me? I have iphone5. I use the native email I believe (comcast on iphone) and safari.

when I get an email notification i click on the cache link.this takes me to a safari page, the only option at the top is the new Geo app, there is no option to open the classic app. I even pull down the safari page but only one app option.

That's correct. You can only open it in the new app, not the Classic app.

Geocaching HQ has responded to this bug a few times in other discussions, indicating that it will be fixed soon.

When is this bug being fixed? This issue has been around for awhile now and theres still no resolve. Would be good to get an update please.

Seems this bug IS fixed. An e-mail notification now opens in the new app. Not my preferred app but it is better than opening on the web page.

Its not working on my iPhone 5SE. Im using gmail for new cache notifications. Any emails i get, the link only opens in Safari which is not ideal. Ive also checked for any app updates to gmail or geocaching classic and theres none so its still not working for me.

Seems this bug IS fixed. An e-mail notification now opens in the new app. Not my preferred app but it is better than opening on the web page.

Its not working on my iPhone 5SE. Im using gmail for new cache notifications. Any emails i get, the link only opens in Safari which is not ideal. Ive also checked for any app updates to gmail or geocaching classic and theres none so its still not working for me.

They haven't made the change for gmail. I was told they were working on it. It works if you click the link from the email in the native iPhone email and it then will take you to Safari and then you can pull the screen down and a pop up will come up at the top and ask if you want to open it in the free Geocaching app. It won't ever work for the Classic app.

For me the email notifications were still opening in Safari. A real pain in the proverbial. I deleted the new app and re-installed it. It now opens in the new app. OK not ideal but at least its better than it opening in Safari.

Someone at Groundspeak needs their arse kicking. First of all switching to a new app that lacks the majority of features of the existing app and then removing the options to choose where you open the listings. Either they are incompetent or stupid.

Hopefully I will be able to stick with the classic app for the forceable future. I expect when I can no longer use it I will look for another app to use for caching. The new app is rubbish.

Edited by Spire67

I have found that if my iphone link opens in safari, I can pull down on safari and see the option at the top to open within the GC App. It will then open in the app. The next time I try to open from a link it goes straight to the app and bypasses safari.

Oh yea, clearing cookies will set it back to opening in safari.

Edited by AAAAATeam

I have found that if my iphone link opens in safari, I can pull down on safari and see the option at the top to open within the GC App. It will then open in the app. The next time I try to open from a link it goes straight to the app and bypasses safari.

Hi!

I tried this and I can't see option to open it inside GC application at all. Where exactly I can find it?

Hi!

I tried this and I can't see option to open it inside GC application at all. Where exactly I can find it?

If you are clicking the link from an email, it has to be an email in the native iPhone email application (not others like gmail, yahoo, etc.). So click this link and it will open in Safari. You will then need to pull down slightly on the page and then you should see at the top of the page something like "Open in Geocaching app"