Local information or advertising?

It's finally happened. We received permission from a local charity to place a cache on their property. I would like to tie it into the location. It is a no kill cat shelter. Where is the line between education and advertising? I am thinking.... education: Welcome to the no kill shelter. Cats roam free inside and visitors can come inside and give some much needed love to the residents. Advertising: To adopt a cat it cost x amount of money. But what about the gray area? Can I tie in some things to my cache? We were thinking of including the three things that each adopted cat comes with (free spay/neuter, microchip, free vet exam) as three doors to open to get the final combo. Would this fall under information or advertising?

Ok...so a cat theme is fine. Mentioning a no kill shelter is fine as long as I don't use the logo. Spay/Neuter is probably an agenda. ugh. But I could do things cats need....same three....love, shelter, vet...something like that about generic cats. Could I put that it is ok to come inside and visit the cats? I have done other caches that say come inside and say hello.

Ok...so a cat theme is fine. Mentioning a no kill shelter is fine as long as I don't use the logo. Spay/Neuter is probably an agenda. ugh. But I could do things cats need....same three....love, shelter, vet...something like that about generic cats. Could I put that it is ok to come inside and visit the cats?

Write up your cache description, and run it by your Reviewer.

Guidelines:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Geocaches do not solicit for any purpose.

Cache listings perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is intended to be an enjoyable, family-friendly hobby, not a platform for an agenda.

I have done other caches that say come inside and say hello.

Guidelines again:

Please be advised that there is no precedent for placing geocaches.

This means that the past publication of a similar geocache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the publication of a new geocache. If a geocache has been published and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it. However, if the geocache was placed prior to the date when a guideline was issued or updated, the geocache is likely to be grandfathered and allowed to stand as is.

B.

While you can't use the cache page to promote an agenda, nothing says the swag inside the cache can't contain information which would promote the shelter and its programs. :ph34r:

I know of a cache, placed in front of a nursery, with permission of the nursery. The nursery printed up coupons good for a seed packet, and put them in the cache. I know of other caches that were placed on the property of a business that included swag donated by the business.

I would go with the cat theme and mention permission, but would leave everything about the shelter and its mission off the Listing page. Just my .02. YMMV.

What do you think about having different spots on the cache talk about healthy cats...kinda educational. I want to do a puzzle box type of thing with different boxes that open revealing part of the final lock combo...but some opening up with just info. Examples could be things like cats who visit the vet at least two times a year live on average blank years longer. Fleas and worms are the number one parasite. Cats are social creatures and enjoy things to watch out the window (wave to the residents watching you). Etc. What do you think? Maybe something on the page about if you enjoy cats, come in and say hello to the residents?

What you put inside your cache or how you construct it is pretty much up to you, except for hazardous material, food or non-family friendly stuff.

What you put ON YOUR CACHE PAGE must pass Groundspeak's muster. No advertising, no agendas regardless of how nice they may be. I've even heard of a few reviewers cracking down on mentioning the name & address of the venue for events, although I haven't actually seen it myself.

As always, if you have a question ask your reviewer. They are there to help get your cache published, not keep you out.

Maybe something on the page about if you enjoy cats, come in and say hello to the residents?

Again...agenda...

I would go with the cat theme and mention permission, but would leave everything about the shelter and its mission off the Listing page. Just my .02. YMMV.

What you put ON YOUR CACHE PAGE must pass Groundspeak's muster. No advertising, no agendas regardless of how nice they may be.

As always, if you have a question ask your reviewer. They are there to help get your cache published, not keep you out.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

What do you think about having different spots on the cache talk about healthy cats...kinda educational. I want to do a puzzle box type of thing with different boxes that open revealing part of the final lock combo...but some opening up with just info. Examples could be things like cats who visit the vet at least two times a year live on average blank years longer. Fleas and worms are the number one parasite. Cats are social creatures and enjoy things to watch out the window (wave to the residents watching you). Etc. What do you think? Maybe something on the page about if you enjoy cats, come in and say hello to the residents?

I think you need to review the cache placement guidelines, particularly the part about agendas. The cache page is not supposed to be used as a soapbox for pet issues (excuse the pun).