Garmin vs Windows 10

I am having the worst time with Windows 10. Alas, my old Vista machine died around the New Year and I had to replace it. Now I can't get any caches to download. My eTrex 20 won't even complete downloading waypoints...gets stuck on 99%. The old eTrex HC was sort of working (if I ignored the non-compatibility warnings). The moment we downloaded Basecamp the HC now acts like it is downloading, but the info isn't actually there. I am using iexplorer (like the person at Garmin said to). Evidently Edge(?) is a total fail.

Anyone else experience this kind of problem?

Anyone have a cure? Sorry, I don't have enough money to buy a Mac...

I am having the worst time with Windows 10. Alas, my old Vista machine died around the New Year and I had to replace it. Now I can't get any caches to download. My eTrex 20 won't even complete downloading waypoints...gets stuck on 99%. The old eTrex HC was sort of working (if I ignored the non-compatibility warnings). The moment we downloaded Basecamp the HC now acts like it is downloading, but the info isn't actually there. I am using iexplorer (like the person at Garmin said to). Evidently Edge(?) is a total fail.

Go back to using Garmin MapSource, for the older GPS units, like I did.

- the 60, MapSource

- the Montana, GSAK or BaseCamp

I picked up a few Dell D630's running XP on Ebay....titanium frame units made for field service, they are all I use at work and home.....everything super smooth. I'm not looking forward to the day when I'll be dragged into the new stuff. I was at a business yesterday using Wind 98.....I would still be too but I liked the way XP handled photos.

Yea, I had the same problem with my etrex and Windows 10 . I started using an app called Zip Opener and sending the Pocket Query to the download file on my desktop. From there I could drag and drop the two files (caches and waypoints) to the GTX file on the etrex. Hope I made some kind of sense.

I am running Windows 10 Insider Preview on an old (2008, originally XP) Dell OptiPlex 755 (Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM). I have no problem transferring files to and from my Garmin 62sc by drag and drop. I typically don't connect the 62sc when Base Camp is running because I don't want to wait for Base Camp to access/download from the slow GPS/USB. But I haven't had any problem the few times I have had Base Camp running with the 62sc connected.

Why can't people download Garmin communicator in Windows 10 (Chrome or Edge). It is impossible to download cache info into the e-trex. Is this the end of our geocaching?

Maybe ask Garmin? or Microsoft? or Google? Try using a Pocket Query to put the caches in your GPS.

Why can't people download Garmin communicator in Windows 10 (Chrome or Edge). It is impossible to download cache info into the e-trex. Is this the end of our geocaching?

Garmin Communicator is a type of plug-in which can be abused to enter and infect your computer. So these NPAPI plug-ins are rejected by Chrome. Edge can't use plug-ins at all.

Chrome and Edge are not Windows 10. They are browsers. Other browsers, like Firefox and Internet Explorer, are still capable of using the Communicator. FF needs a signed version of the plug-in from its plug-in store. IE is still capable of using the classic Garmin Communicator, but nobody knows for how long.

The end of your geocaching? Just alter your workflow. There are lots of alternatives, you don't need the Communicator at all.

Use the GPX file button instead of the Sent to GPS button. Or use Pocket Queries. Or third party programs like GSAK or GAPP.

Garmin Communicator is a type of plug-in which can be abused to enter and infect your computer. So these NPAPI plug-ins are rejected by Chrome. Edge can't use plug-ins at all.

Chrome and Edge are not Windows 10. They are browsers. Other browsers, like Firefox and Internet Explorer, are still capable of using the Communicator. FF needs a signed version of the plug-in from its plug-in store. IE is still capable of using the classic Garmin Communicator, but nobody knows for how long.

The end of your geocaching? Just alter your workflow. There are lots of alternatives, you don't need the Communicator at all.

Use the GPX file button instead of the Sent to GPS button. Or use Pocket Queries. Or third party programs like GSAK or GAPP.

Like I said....a cheap, used unit running XP and Firefox makes everything smooth.

Like I said....a cheap, used unit running XP and Firefox makes everything smooth.

Not even that complicated if you're running Windows 10 Pro. Fire up Hyper-v and load an instance of whatever OS you have buried in the desk.

Had to do this so I could get some ActiveX and Java streaming webcams working for an upcoming trip.

Edited by bflentje

Not even that complicated if you're running Windows 10 Pro. Fire up Hyper-v and load an instance of whatever OS you have buried in the desk.

Had to do this so I could get some ActiveX and Java streaming webcams working for an upcoming trip.

I am not having any issues with windows 10, Edge, or my Oregons ( 650 and 450). I either use GSAK, or just drag and drop the GPX files onto my units. I do have a premium membership andt have download 65K ( I know, overkill) geocaches into the Oregon 650 and 5K geocaches into the 450.