Unhappy with Intro App

MTCLMBR

Is anyone else disappointed or upset with the new iPhone intro app???

I've used the "classic" app for a number of years and before they announce the intro app and would of just preferred if that one was updated. Now I do work in software and know changes happen but some things just haven't been making the most sense to me with the new app. I still don't think it should be stripped of the intro label on it in the most recent update.

I keep tryin to give the new app a shot with each new upgrade but after a few days I give up and go back to the other one. Just so simple but it does it all.

Was there input from users? Was there user testing and feedback and changes based on feedback.

Comments/dissatisfactions

-don't feel it's always intuitive. If I'm having to guess others are too.

-the new lists, glad they finally got included and love it includes bookmark lists but really no map feature? Or am I missing it. For me personally I use my queries and like to look at a map and see what's going on for purposes of FTFs for entire states, WI lonely cache game, other searches. Knowing the distance is no use for me or which is closest. Closest isn't always best to go for and not user friendly to have to click each cache.

-feel like so many clicks to get the info I want. What happened to the generic unofficial "three click" rule at least with websites. That's where I love some simplicity with the old app.

-can't log Trackables when I log a cache???? This is only going to cause greater counts of lost and miss logged Trackables! I have to go to home--> select trackable --> select log type--> select desired cache, then log it. And then repeat for the additional 5 I swapped at that hotel vs making one log in the cache and selecting the bugs???

-get lots of hang ups with loading caches, this frequency has at least decreased but sometimes I just would never get caches loaded(yes I checked filters) I miss having the forced refresh button.

-message center loses its sync, this has also started to happen less frequently but I would be getting messages and never see them on my app until I logged out and back in

-ability to load more caches, and will be a bigger issue for me if not included when saving lists(unless they have a selection for all). I use it as a reference for WI lonely caches to help desperate from all my other caches in my GPS but usually these caches are far from civilization with no reception. I'm going to want to load and save all 500 caches in my phone. Which I at least can with the old app.

These are at least the big thoughts and concerns.

No I'm not saying that the "classic" app has it all and is perfect and flawless, it isn't, and both apps never will joys of software dev. But I feel it's shortcomings are tree roots for a car vs the intro app having Boulder obstacles to fight. Maybe if they did all the development with one major release it would have been developed better vs all these feature upgrades. I just feel it is very separated with each feature that's added. They've added the features we want, we wanted Trackables, we wanted lists, but just not integrated in a way the app is going to get used to satisfy users.

Don't get me wrong there are things I like and am excited for with the new app. But as of this moment I am still going to chose the "classic" app over the intro/ now geocaching app.

I suppose to clarify I'm using the app on my iPhone which I had the 6 before breaking and using my 5S and then using the intro on my GF iPhone 6.

Thank you to all of he developers and your hard work though to provide us with goals of newer and better ways to interact with caching.

I'm just curious as to what others think or am I the only one with these feelings. I just feel in summary that my caching is going to become less satisfying with increased work I have to do on my phone and can only think how frustrated potential newer users will feel. Granted I always log all my caches online via my computer cause I like to type lengthy logs and lengthy typing isn't fun on any phone in any app. Thanks for the minor rant and looking forward to others thoughts.

Edited by MTCLMBR

I've used the "classic" app for a number of years and before they announce the intro app and would of just preferred if that one was updated. Now I do work in software and know changes happen but some things just haven't been making the most sense to me with the new app. I still don't think it should be stripped of the intro label on it in the most recent update.

I keep tryin to give the new app a shot with each new upgrade but after a few days I give up and go back to the other one. Just so simple but it does it all.

Was there input from users? Was there user testing and feedback and changes based on feedback.

-the new lists, glad they finally got included and love it includes bookmark lists but really no map feature? Or am I missing it. For me personally I use my queries and like to look at a map and see what's going on for purposes of FTFs for entire states, WI lonely cache game, other searches. Knowing the distance is no use for me or which is closest. Closest isn't always best to go for and not user friendly to have to click each cache.

-feel like so many clicks to get the info I want. What happened to the generic unofficial "three click" rule at least with websites. That's where I love some simplicity with the old app.

-can't log Trackables when I log a cache???? This is only going to cause greater counts of lost and miss logged Trackables! I have to go to home--> select trackable --> select log type--> select desired cache, then log it. And then repeat for the additional 5 I swapped at that hotel vs making one log in the cache and selecting the bugs???

-get lots of hang ups with loading caches, this frequency has at least decreased but sometimes I just would never get caches loaded(yes I checked filters) I miss having the forced refresh button.

-message center loses its sync, this has also started to happen less frequently but I would be getting messages and never see them on my app until I logged out and back in

-ability to load more caches, and will be a bigger issue for me if not included when saving lists(unless they have a selection for all). I use it as a reference for WI lonely caches to help desperate from all my other caches in my GPS but usually these caches are far from civilization with no reception. I'm going to want to load and save all 500 caches in my phone. Which I at least can with the old app.

No I'm not saying that the "classic" app has it all and is perfect and flawless, it isn't, and both apps never will joys of software dev. But I feel it's shortcomings are tree roots for a car vs the intro app having Boulder obstacles to fight. Maybe if they did all the development with one major release it would have been developed better vs all these feature upgrades. I just feel it is very separated with each feature that's added. They've added the features we want, we wanted Trackables, we wanted lists, but just not integrated in a way the app is going to get used to satisfy users.

Don't get me wrong there are things I like and am excited for with the new app. But as of this moment I am still going to chose the "classic" app over the intro/ now geocaching app.

I suppose to clarify I'm using the app on my iPhone which I had the 6 before breaking and using my 5S and then using the intro on my GF iPhone 6.

Thank you to all of he developers and your hard work though to provide us with goals of newer and better ways to interact with caching.

I'm just curious as to what others think or am I the only one with these feelings. I just feel in summary that my caching is going to become less satisfying with increased work I have to do on my phone and can only think how frustrated potential newer users will feel. Granted I always log all my caches online via my computer cause I like to type lengthy logs and lengthy typing isn't fun on any phone in any app. Thanks for the minor rant and looking forward to others thoughts.

I would like to add many more missing features:

• User controlled setting to stop the phone from going to sleep (screen shuts off)
  • Use Waze for directions/navigation to GZ
  • +5000 on the logging TBs when logging GC
  • Ability to add a favorite point
  • Option to see what your GC friends posted in logs (c:geo has this)

PLEASE help us help YOU!!

Edited by Aaron&Krissy

I am really upset that Groundspeak is apparently going to remove support of the geocaching 'classic' app (paid for) which is so much better than the intro one that they are developing!!

I do all of my geocaching on my iPhone even some of the website bits I do on my phone as it's just easier that way!

To remove support of an app when you haven't even copied everything that's in it to your new one to me just seems ridiculous!

This new app does not have:

Offline maps and lists and photos!!!! My biggest issue as these are needed for areas of no signal. As how can you cache otherwise you would have no information!!!!

Ability to change from kilometres/metres to miles/feet not everyone likes to use the same measurements Groundspeak!

Forced update of map! I only want to load the caches I want not everywhere I move the map to! This will waste data and the live map doesn't always load so needs forcing but we don't have that option in the new app so more data wasted moving map around to get the original information back on screen!

No option for maintenance logs!! Either to prompt a user to maintain their cache or to maintain your own on the go in the field! You may be visiting more than one cache in a day and trying to remember which ones had problems or not to then go online and log a problem with is long winded and counterproductive!

No option to add favourite points!! Same as above you may visit more than one cache a day how to you remember which ones you wanted to give a favourite point to!!

Logging a trackable with the cache your currently visiting as mentioned by the previous poster on here! If you have multiple trackables that your swapping onsite then something is going to go missing without the ability to log the trackable with the current cache!

Multiple maps! Like the cycle routes, trails etc without these some caches are near impossible to locate as you wouldn't know where the trail is to be able to get to it!

As I paid for these features not only as a premium member but by buying the paid for app!! I feel betrayed as this new app will reduce my abilities to cache and ultimately my enjoyment of the very thing I enjoy doing geocaching!!

So either give me everything that was in the paid for app or continue support for it!!!!!

Totally agree.

While perusing the app, I found myself missing little things like when looking at geocaches I had already found - the old app showed you the date you found them. It helped me remember why I was in the area and what the container was.

Another thing: My bookmarks are now available to view, but I can't add to them or edit them. It's like giving me one running shoe and expecting me to win a 400m race. Great that I have the bookmark lists to help me remember what I need, but is still lacking.

Continuing on things lacking: no favorite point button that I could find. Or GPS accuracy (Accuracy: ____ft) that was available in the old app. The dots that represent the caches on the map are hard to tap on, and there is some lag time that the old app didn't have.

The videos that keep popping up every time you select a new type of cache (Earthcache, Wherigo, Traditional, etc.) are irritating.

I will say that the positive aspect of this new app is the accessibility of the messaging feature. It makes it much easier to submit answers for earthcaches, virtuals, and correspond with other cachers if you have questions and other info.

At first I thought the new app looked pretty good, but now that I've taken a deeper dive, I'm pretty dissatisfied with a few things:

1. Used to be a search function in the map so that I could move the map and then search the new area without having to know the name of the town, etc. to search by. I don't see that option anymore.

2. Field notes ... I've always used the app to make notes and save them to refer to later when I log. Now I have only two options after creating a log: post it or cancel it. No option to save it. This is only going to result in more people logging "TFTC" instead of an informative log. Bad move!

3. Seriously, no offline lists? Lots of places have little or no cell phone coverage. And who wants to use all that data in the field?

I really hope we are able to use the original app at least until all these issues are resolved. Doesn't anyone at Groundspeak beta test these things with "real" cachers? I would have been happy to participate but was never asked.

I'm different then most here as I use the phone app for limited items....we primarily cache with the 62S-64S.

I think the new app is nice but agree REALLY needs off-line lists. There is a emailed survey I just completed ( from GS ) regarding the app....please complete this when you get it. The app is a work in progress and I think GS will eventually offer an app everyone will enjoy.