OpenStreetMap

Gill & Tony

I'm planning a trip to Europe in a few months and am looking for maps which will work with both my E-Trex 30 and my Nuvi 2597LMT.

I can download the whole of Europe from Garmin for AUD139, or can download for free from OpenStreetMap. The problem with OSM is that I can only specify one country at a time. I know I can add tiles manually, but doing that looks like a fun way to spend an entire afternoon clicking tiles.

If I specify one country and download that, then specify the next country and download that I will get duplicated tiles where the countries meet. Is there any easy way to merge the files into one map file, or can I put all OSM files individually into the GPS?

Also, what is the difference between "Generic Routable" and "Generic Routable (New Style)"? Finally, what are TYP files and do I need one?

Any advice and help with OSM will be appreciated.

[...] Finally, what are TYP files and do I need one?

Any advice and help with OSM will be appreciated.

Have a look there:

http://freizeitkarte-osm.de/garmin/en/index.html > Dropdown Documentation > Design

You can load as many maps to your Garmin as you want until you didn't hit the 4000 tiles limit.

Overlapping is not a problem as you may toggle the maps on/off on your unit.

Download and use this highly recommended tool for managig maps on your unit:

http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

Frohes Jagen

Hans

I'm planning a trip to Europe in a few months and am looking for maps which will work with both my E-Trex 30 and my Nuvi 2597LMT.

I can download the whole of Europe from Garmin for AUD139, or can download for free from OpenStreetMap. The problem with OSM is that I can only specify one country at a time. I know I can add tiles manually, but doing that looks like a fun way to spend an entire afternoon clicking tiles.

You don't have to click each tile, just "select" an area (click an hold one corner and move the pointer to the opposite corner).

If I specify one country and download that, then specify the next country and download that I will get duplicated tiles where the countries meet. Is there any easy way to merge the files into one map file, or can I put all OSM files individually into the GPS?

I have several countries on my Oregon 600. I rename the files (country name + month/year) with the javawa tools (must have!!).

Also, what is the difference between "Generic Routable" and "Generic Routable (New Style)"? Finally, what are TYP files and do I need one?

Don't know what the "new style" is but it works fine. TYP files change the look of your map. i.e. you can change colors for better visibility.

BTW, your Nuvi will work great in Europe but you won't have speed info or lane view when getting to an highway exit. The "T" on your Nuvi will give you traffic info but (in Belgium) it's not uncommon to see it a bit late. You might already be stuck in traffic before there's a warning or you might have no trouble driving when the system still warns for slow traffic.

We had the OSM for Aus/NZ last October/November and had no issues with it (used it for getting to Subway/McDo/IGA...)

From http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin.OpenStreetMap.nl:Manual#Choose_your_map_type

The map type to choose depends on your intended use for the map. Make sure the radio button for your map is selected or click the radio button to select it.

Generic routable map

Choose this map if you want to do one or more of the following:

Car navigation

Foot navigation

Simple cycle trips from A to B

All other types of transportation

Generic routable (new style)

This map has an improved rendering style with a few more features (bridges, tunnels, oneway arrows)

Whenever I travel overseas, I take a small notebook laptop with me. Before I leave, I download all the maps for the countries I'm visiting from OSM, renaming each file with the country's name for easy identification. Just before I depart, I create pocket queries for the towns/cities I know I'll be visiting. I then transfer all this data from my desktop PC to the notebook. This way, I'm not dependant on using free wifi in hotels/cafes/McDonald etc. As I travel around, I connect my 62s to the notebook and transfer the appropriate OSM country map and pocket query(ies). Some of the PQs can be 4 or 5 weeks old but I generally find this is not a problem. If I can't find a cache, I just move on. One thing I always do before I leave is upload the files to my GPSr and test that they are all working properly.

Is this something that you think might work for you? Do you have a small laptop you could take with you?

I prefer the Generic Routable map as opposed to the Generic Routable (new style). I find the Generic Routable map less "busy" and it's much easier to see the cache icons especially on the 62s screen.

Edited by Calypso62

When we went to Alaska last year we bought maps for our Garmin Etrex off an Oz ebay seller. They worked just fine. I can't recall the sellers name but this sounds like him.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GPS-MAPS-all-EUROPE-City-Navigator-Europe-2016-10-for-GARMIN-/191817624816?hash=item2ca938acf0:g:LH4AAOSwpzdWrXw3

I couldn't be bothered trying to load OSM, although I have done so in the past. It was easier and less time consuming to just hit the Buy it Now.

I couldn't be bothered trying to load OSM, although I have done so in the past. It was easier and less time consuming to just hit the Buy it Now.

Once you get the hang of OSM use it doesn't take any more time to load OSM than Garmin maps. I'm not going to shell out €100+ to get maps whenever we make a short city trip. Besides that, if you want topo maps, you would need several on a trip through Europe.

Once you get the hang of OSM use it doesn't take any more time to load OSM than Garmin maps. I'm not going to shell out €100+ to get maps whenever we make a short city trip. Besides that, if you want topo maps, you would need several on a trip through Europe.

I agree about the ease of use of the OSM maps. The ability to select multiple non-contiguous tiles is one of it's best features. For one trip I took I created a mapset with a portion of Malaysia, all of Singapore, and an area near Tokyo airport as those were the places where I'd be traveling and have the time for some geocaching. I bought a separate micro-SD card for storing maps (and waypoints from a PQ) when I travel and just swap it with my "local" card (which has U.S. topo maps) as needed. I think I paid about $15 for the card, which I suspect is a *lot* less that buying commercial maps for a single country.

I'm talking about shelling out $20 not E100.

I'm talking about shelling out $20 not E100.

Still a $20 difference and the same ease of use. I doubt your $20 map is the "latest" version. OSM are mostly max. 3 month old and then, for the same $ 0.00 you can download a new one <_<

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.

I've already downloaded the JDM tool - haven't installed it yet.

I have a Toshiba Netbook with GSAK installed on it which goes with me on holidays, so I can store maps on that as well as my main PC.

I downloaded the generic routable Switzerland map and will have a play with that. I will also try the new style and see which looks best for me.

I'm visiting 15 countries in all, so there's a bit of downloading to do.

thanks again for the help

Tony

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.

I've already downloaded the JDM tool - haven't installed it yet.

I have a Toshiba Netbook with GSAK installed on it which goes with me on holidays, so I can store maps on that as well as my main PC.

I downloaded the generic routable Switzerland map and will have a play with that. I will also try the new style and see which looks best for me.

I'm visiting 15 countries in all, so there's a bit of downloading to do.

thanks again for the help

Tony

As was suggested earlier you can select individual tiles rather than selecting one country at a time. When the page comes up click on the box labled "Enable manual tile selection" then pan/zoom on the map until you see the countries you want. Then click and drag your mouse over section of map and all those tiles will be selected. Then you can toggle specific tiles on and off by clicking on them until you get exactly what you want. Enter your email address, click "Build my map" and you only need to download once.