app update!

lol I bought a premium website membership before the app I assumed my money would go towards a better cause...

I hope so....

I will probably buy the offical app soon if Groundspeak continues it!

The official app will no longer be available for purchase after March 23.

The new/updated app recognizes your Premium Membership and opens up additional features.

Edited by BlackRose67

Thanks for the new app update my gps seems to work alot better now since the update! Will you consider adding a cache placment options so we can finally place caches on the go?

I hope the app NEVER makes it easy 'to place a cache on the go'.

Thanks for the new app update my gps seems to work alot better now since the update! Will you consider adding a cache placment options so we can finally place caches on the go?

I hope the app NEVER makes it easy 'to place a cache on the go'.

+1

+2

I wouldn't be opposed to a saturation check feature via the app, but actual cache creation should be restricted to those willing to invest the time to log into the website (either via desktop or phone browser).

Thank you for the addition of lists. I haven't played around with the updated app much yet, but I'm hoping that in addition to accessing lists, that we can manage lists as well, including creating new lists and adding/deleting caches in lists while in the field.

I'm looking forward to storing cache listings offline. When this is implemented, can you also add the ability to access listings in pocket queries as well? This will be valuable to users heading into the backcountry with no data service.

Someone above mentioned adding tools for cache creation. The more I think about this, the more I agree that users should log onto the website to actually make listings. Tools for making waypoints do exist in other apps, including general GPS apps, cachers who wish to place caches should invest the time in understanding how to obtain good coordinate readings as well as principles for what makes a good cache which means doing some research and reconnaissance beforehand.

However, I think you need to add some functionality for cache owners. For example, give us the ability to log maintenance performed, or enable/disable our own caches in the field to provide real-time status updates. Also, maybe add the ability to log Needs Maintenance logs while in the field. Currently, I have to use an alternative app for this.

Finally, can you make disabled caches a filter option rather than just hiding them outright? It's useful to see them when making cache placements as well as maintenance runs.

I understand why you wouldn't want to implement full website features in the app, but in this day when some people choose to only use mobile devices instead of owning a computer, the app provides a mobile-friendly experience, whereas the website is awkward and clunky to use, even on a tablet. My suggestion is to implement more of the website into the app (including features such as user profiles) or provide a mobile interface of the full website to use on phones and tablets.

In the meantime, I'm happy with the development of the new free app, and I'm hoping that it will become a one-stop shop so that I don't have to rely on other apps for missing functionality.

Hi all!

I have some first remarks after a quick use of the new app:

- Why do I see the trackables of my collection when I look at my inventory (I also see the ones in my inventory of course)? (Is it to add the possibility to transit them?)

- It's good to have a much bigger area of geocaches displayed!

- I see the last pocket query I had downloaded among the available lists!

- The linear compass is fun, but I prefer the arrow of my GPS device on the map to know where I am looking at :)... maybe it won't be a problem in some days.

- I think it will help beginners to have information in the Help menu.

Thanks for the new app!

Edit : Help seems to have to be modified about the available caches for basic members, it does not correspond to this : http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=442

Edited by fab_seeker
Charging people seems pretty sleazy and dishonest to me at this point.

It's explained right there on the Play Store in the first sentence (and I'd assume same on the Apple store) that it'll be discontinued shortly. Second sentence offers the free alternative.

https://play.google....peak.geocaching

What on earth is sleazy or dishonest about that?!?

Edited by Viajero Perdido

I feel that charging for an app is almost required unless they are showing you ads.... I am glad the updated app is add free and I am pretty sure it costs money to get alot of data from google through google maps..Im going to assume world wide there is a huge amount of cachers in total. If I don't recall from my app making days...they would have an app data cap that they have to pay for after they exceed. not quite sure though... I think they are hinting on buying a website membership and using your choice of app there are alot of apps out there.... just saying...

you can always just cache the whole website to your phone with a premium membership.. (make available offline)google chrome browser.......that way you have everything you would need..... but then I think that may just be going over board unless you have an extra phone laying around....

Thanks for the new app!

Edit : Help seems to have to be modified about the available caches for basic members, it does not correspond to this : http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=442

Are you referring to the free app? This is the link for the free app: 1.2. What Geocaches Can I Find on the Geocaching® app?

The link you included is for the paid app.

Hello!

Yes, too many apps' at the moment :), my mistake.

And for the arrow on the map, I see it when I zoom, around the circle indicating my position :).