How to re-enable an archived cache?

automattack

Is it possible to re-enable an archived cache? I archived http://coord.info/GC3D3AZ because it was hidden behind a construction zone and I didn't know when the constructions would end. Now the construction has been completed, and the cache is still there (see the most recent log).

Is there a way to re-enable? or should I create a new cache page with the same details?

You could contact your Reviewer about re-activating the cache, but it seems like creating a new cache would be more sensible and simpler.

I would expect the Reviewer would advise you to create a new cache and submit it for review.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship → Unarchiving a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=70

4.23. Unarchiving a Geocache

The archiving of a geocache is intended to be a permanent status. That is why only community volunteer reviewers and Geocaching HQ staff have the capability to unarchive it. This is done only in rare circumstances and only if it meets the current Geocache Listing Guidelines.

If a geocache is archived by a reviewer or staff for lack of maintenance it will not be unarchived.

However, if you accidentally archived it, please contact the reviewer who originally published your geocache (listed at the bottom of the cache page) or another local reviewer. Read here how to find a local reviewer. You will need to provide the geocache name, GC code and the explanation for unarchiving it.

B.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=56

4.22. My Geocache Needs to be Archived

While we never permanently delete a geocache from our system, you can archive it. Go to your geocache listings, and select the cache(s) that you would like to archive. On your geocache's page, just click "Archive," enter any comments, and submit the log entry. This will remove your geocache listing from search results.

To archive a geocache is to remove the listing permanently. A geocache owner can archive their own listing. A geocache owner cannot unarchive it.

Once your geocache has been archived, please be sure to remove the physical container from its hiding spot as soon as possible.

That's odd, someone claims to have found the container six months after archiving.

You never removed it?

An email to your Reviewer would be the way to go to ask. :)

No, I placed it, and checked on it periodically (mostly when someone reported a DNF). Then one day there was a construction barrier in my way, and could not get to the cache... So removal was impossible.

I'll ask the reviewer if it can be re-enabled. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

That's odd, someone claims to have found the container six months after archiving.

You never removed it?

An email to your Reviewer would be the way to go to ask. :)

If a cache is temporarily inaccessible due to construction a CO might not enter the location to remove the container (especially if there are prohibited access signs) but someone might still decide finding the cache is more important than comply with signs which prohibit accessing the area.

The real issue here is that the cache should have been disabled rather than archived. A reviewer may allow the cache to remain disabled for an extended period of time while construction is completed as long as they are kept informed of the status. There are a few caches in my area that are inaccessible during winter because the trails they're on are posted with ""Trail Closed" signs. Technically someone trying to find one of these caches could be cited for trespassing when the signs are up, and during a long winter the trails might be closed for 3-4 months.

• Upvote 1

I'm the reviewer for the uncivilized western side of the state, but I'm fairly confident that your reviewer would agree that a new cache placement is the way to go. (He will also enjoy finding it, as he's very very very familiar with Penn. Looks like an awesome spot, from the gallery photos!)

One thing to consider when re-establishing an archived cache: if you change the hiding place, container or other details, then previous finders might gain greater enjoyment from revisiting the area to find a "new cache" rather than finding the "same cache in the same spot." You have some flexibility to make a move, so long as you don't go too far west so as to conflict with the "Baltimore Ave Beginnings" cache. There are no other hidden waypoints, etc. in the immediate area.

NYPaddleCacher gives good advice about disabling a listing while construction is pending. So long as the owner posts periodic updates ("I drove by and the construction barriers are still up"), I will pass over these listings when I am going through caches that have been disabled for too long. If there is no update, I'll ask the owner to provide one. An update buys more time, while the lack of an update means archival. Once construction, park closure, seasonal conditions, etc. have passed, the owner can simply re-enable their own listing.

Look'd for info but I didn't find any answer. Maybe I didn't even use the correct searching words! But if you know: How long after a cache's archiving you can place a new cache in the same or close enough ?

How fast can you get there?

Thanks. Depends on traffic, but I will be there in the next 30 minutes...

Look'd for info but I didn't find any answer. Maybe I didn't even use the correct searching words! But if you know: How long after a cache's archiving you can place a new cache in the same or close enough ?

NanCycle's reply was a bit cryptic, but what they were trying to say is that there's no grace period. As soon as a cache is archived, that area is available for anyone to use (of course, assuming the previous cache wasn't archived for a reason that would preclude the hiding of any more caches in that area). Basically, it's yours if you can get there fast enough, though in practice you only need to be the first to create a cache listing. That will hold the spot temporarily even before you place the container.

And then back home to submit the new cache listing for Review.

Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

B.