Release Notes (Geocaching Intro is now Geocaching® app) March 9, 2016

Here in Australia we've been asking for years if the apps can log using the local device time instead of Seattle time, like almost all other apps do.

How hard can that be?

If we go out caching on our east coast, all our logs up to about 4pm have yesterday's date on them. On the west coast it's worse by several hours.

It doesn't even get a mention in your proposed improvements.

What is it about this relatively simple action, which almost all competing apps do, which is so difficult in the Groundspeak office?

I see that my pocket queries are now showing up in the My Lists section. I don't recall seeing those the first time I looked at the app, but I could be mistaken and they might have been there all along. What I don't see is an option to download the list to my device. Does that mean the PQ will be able to be used without a data connection? I assume not, so the option to save the list to my device is still needed. If, however, by a small chance that you can use the PQ offline without downloading the data, that would be very cool.

As there's no offline caching yet and I can't actually test it my biggest two gripes are: It is far too slow on an iphone 5s with lots of free memory. it takes 30 seconds for caches to load, and then another 15 seconds each time I move the map a bit. This is far too slow and pretty much useless. Second gripe: the app is too big. What's wrong with developing a light and fast app that works on every phone and not only on high-end machines?

I see that my pocket queries are now showing up in the My Lists section. I don't recall seeing those the first time I looked at the app, but I could be mistaken and they might have been there all along. What I don't see is an option to download the list to my device. Does that mean the PQ will be able to be used without a data connection? I assume not, so the option to save the list to my device is still needed. If, however, by a small chance that you can use the PQ offline without downloading the data, that would be very cool.

Earlier in the thread, we learned that saving offline lists is expected to become available by March 23rd. :anicute:

Lists can/are made on the website and can be viewed on your mobile device.

I know but making the lists on the app was a great feature in the paid app, so this is a drawback for sure. Still can't narrow this down to one app, they keep missing to many features.

-- Saving lists on the phone for off-line use.

Very often we are looking for nearby caches, eg in a hotel abraod, downloading the list to use off-line, getting out caching. As we have no internet access all over the world the saving of caches offline on the iphone is a must.

-- Turning map in direction of the cache

In the old app the map could show you the direction of the cache.. I do not find this functionality in the new app.

-- Performance

The new app is a lot slower. Is the map with caches updated on-line ??

-- Design

A cell phone screen is not so big. Why the D/T indication are so massive designed. I do not think this is added value. Just D/T 1/5 (eg) is enough.

Also the space for the map is half the screen. Are we expected to get out with ipad's?

Not(yet) in favor of the new app

Kris

Edited by kripau

I've used the paid app for many years. On Friday, I used the new app out in the woods from a list generated by a pocket query. My caching companions had used only the intro app, so they helped me when I had questions. I didn't make any logs in the field, but we found 16 of the 16 caches we searched for including a 4.5/4.5 multi that hadn't been found for three years. Woot! I have some observations based on my experience.

The black navigating band below the map needs to be taller. Not everyone has 20-something eyes. It should be at least twice as tall with the distance font doubled in size. Ah, ha. Stealth interface. I just discovered that if I tap on the black band, I get a bigger compass. I still want the distance and black band taller.

Needs ability to refresh cache data. I can refresh the data from the website in the paid app. The new app does not display our logs (created after our trip) from Friday. I see no way to update a cache listing in the new app. When I browsed to the area by moving the map (rather than looking at the pocket query list which also doesn't give new data), the map show the caches we found as smilies. However, the activity displayed still shows what was downloaded Thursday evening. I see no way to refresh the cache data. By the way, I want a way to refresh a whole list's data at home while connected to a faster data connection. I know you plan to make saving lists for offline use an option very soon; that's essential. My experience suggests that lists are not being updated after they are downloaded. I really want that for new caches; for example, has someone already found the new cache when I'm heading out for the FTF?

Setting waypoints to current location seems flaky. Setting waypoints for the multi we were doing worked fine. However, two times when I have set a waypoint by tapping current location, the app has created three waypoints.

Response-time is slow. I have an 9-month-old iPhone 6. It was slow to recognize the Stop as well as Start navigating. Just now, with my phone plugged in to my computer and with a good wired internet connection, it took at least four seconds to stop navigating. Optimize your code where it is used frequently. Response to that tap should be instantaneous.

Color contrast needs to be higher on map display of caches. Maybe try a brighter dot outline color.

Need more helpful Geocache Details. The D/T and size should be included in the small summary info. Size is more important than number of favorites when we are actively searching. The About info should include find info (# finds, # DNFs, last found, ...). The dials for D/T aren't helpful. By the way, it looks like the font for Activity is a point size smaller than About and Waypoints. Be consistent.

Need all log types. Sometimes we need to log Needs Maintenance. Owners need their log types. I can't log Owner Maintenance and check that the log was recorded online without switching to the paid app or the website.

I'm thinking that you've made the decision to stop supporting the paid/classic app and won't rescind it. Please carefully consider when you will no longer allow the paid app to access your server. I like the suggestion that you allow that well past July and until the number of accesses from the classic app drops to a low level. We know what features we find essential. I see that the paid/classic has a note in the store saying that it will not be available for download after March 23rd.

I noticed that there were updates to both the paid and new app before I finished this post, so I downloaded them. My notes still stand as written above.

Too much to read and comprehend all at once.

Simple question: As a PREMIUM MEMBER do I NEED to download the new app? I just did an update to the classic and see no changes.

There are two apps, the existing paid app and the developing new, intro, geocaching(registered) app. They have not changed the classic app, so doing an update will produce nothing different for you. If you want to see the changes you have to download the other app. The PTB have not indicated if the claassic app will still function after the March cutoff date. They have said that it will not be supported after the cutoff date but haven't told us what that means.

Too much to read and comprehend all at once.

Simple question: As a PREMIUM MEMBER do I NEED to download the new app? I just did an update to the classic and see no changes.

Simple answer is YES, as its possible the "classic" app MAY soon not function (I've read it all and its not clear if it will be disabled or just no longer for sale and no longer updated). It is a lot to read, but its the biggest change since the introduction of the smartphone app affecting all players using a smartphone app (i.e., most everybody now). If you're old school and use a hand held GPS and paper notes from the website, nothing will change for you.

Edited by jpadc

Thank you Bethkatz17582 for writing this post. We have not yet managed to get out and try out this app in the field, but find it astonishing that this app has been launched seemingly without a serious beta-testing period by a substantial group of experienced cachers from a good number of different countries? You can be sure they would have had volunteers.

There are too many good features in the current classic app that are missing here. Why did Groundspeak launch an app that is nowhere near ready?

AnTs

The PTB have not indicated if the claassic app will still function after the March cutoff date. They have said that it will not be supported after the cutoff date but haven't told us what that means.

This is not true. Re-read the announcement and prior posts from Geocaching HQ Lackeys.

Thank you Bethkatz17582 for writing this post. We have not yet managed to get out and try out this app in the field, but find it astonishing that this app has been launched seemingly without a serious beta-testing period by a substantial group of experienced cachers from a good number of different countries? You can be sure they would have had volunteers.

There are too many good features in the current classic app that are missing here. Why did Groundspeak launch an app that is nowhere near ready?

AnTs

The Geocaching® app is not a new app. It's a re-branding of the former "Intro" app, with some new features added and more on the way. We're now in a transition period where the paid app (Geocaching Classic) won't be sold anymore (but will still be supported) while the remaining features of the paid app are re-coded to become part of the Geocaching® app. It's fine to keep using the paid app until your favorite features migrate over. I know I won't be switching until field notes functionality and offline lists are added to the Geocaching® app.

The PTB have not indicated if the claassic app will still function after the March cutoff date. They have said that it will not be supported after the cutoff date but haven't told us what that means.

This is not true. Re-read the announcement and prior posts from Geocaching HQ Lackeys.

The announcement reads: "For those who currently have the app, it will be supported at least through June 2016." Nothing Lackey has said explains what "not supported" looks like beyond that date. It could mean all links and access to the web database will continue indefinitely we just won't fix bugs or add features (which they didn't do anyway) or it could mean well we can't take it off your phone, but don't expect it to continue to have access to our database systems but if you have saved caches you can still probably get some use out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the new app (and I like that as a Premium member I can use it on my iPhone or Android device without having to buy separate copies). I like the look and feel and I think that Groundspeak had let the classic app become dated, rarely fixed bugs nor offed new features (leading others to use c:geo etc.). I get that they need to focus on leveraging their data (and the wide availability of GPS enabled smartphones) to get more Premium members. I think this new app is a significant move in the right direction. I hope they are seriously interested in really developing it to have everything the classic app had and more (user stats as just one example).

As others have said, I think this would go better if members were drawn to the new apps exciting additional features rather than like me (and others) learning about this by seeing an update app notice from Apple saying we are changing its name as we are phasing it out for this new thing that (by comparison) is not yet ready for prime-time. But I like the direction this is going. Not sure I'll like a (likely) increase in the annual fee, but to see them really upgrade what for most players is the primary front door, this is a good thing

How about while your at it Groundspeak, doing an update to a very dated website too... On second thought, maybe you better wait till the app transition is first class before messing with the web interface.

The black navigating band below the map needs to be taller. Not everyone has 20-something eyes. It should be at least twice as tall with the distance font doubled in size. Ah, ha. Stealth interface. I just discovered that if I tap on the black band, I get a bigger compass. I still want the distance and black band taller.
Am I the only one who would prefer a compass circle with a directional arrow pointing at the cache, rather than the black navigation band?

Do you have information from GS that you haven't shared with us? The announcement says:

For those who currently have the app, it will be supported at least through June 2016.

Windows XP is no longer supported but is still functional and in use in a lot of computers. Is this what GS means? Or do they mean they will not allow the old app to access their web site? It's not productive when statements are challenged without providing any additive information.

-- Saving lists on the phone for off-line use.

Very often we are looking for nearby caches, eg in a hotel abraod, downloading the list to use off-line, getting out caching. As we have no internet access all over the world the saving of caches offline on the iphone is a must.

-- Turning map in direction of the cache

In the old app the map could show you the direction of the cache.. I do not find this functionality in the new app.

-- Performance

The new app is a lot slower. Is the map with caches updated on-line ??

-- Design

A cell phone screen is not so big. Why the D/T indication are so massive designed. I do not think this is added value. Just D/T 1/5 (eg) is enough.

Also the space for the map is half the screen. Are we expected to get out with ipad's?

-- Caches showing in list form

Can the caches instead of on the map be viewed in list format?

Not(yet) in favor of the new app

Kris

Read previous Release Notes

Release Notes - March 9, 2016

A new name for the grown-up Geocaching Intro app

With the addition of advanced tools, 'Geocaching Intro' has officially outgrown its name. It has been renamed to the Geocaching® app — an app we made for Premium members.

To differentiate the new Geocaching® app from the older paid app, we have changed the paid app's name to 'Geocaching Classic'.

We want to create a single geocaching experience on mobile that can do both: serve as a simple introduction to the game and unlock the full geocaching experience with Premium membership. This is a request we've heard from players for a long time and is something we've come to agree with: your Premium Membership should include all the best geocaching tools.

With the new Geocaching® app, you will have all the features an experienced geocacher needs, such as live search, Message Center, trackables and, most recently, geocache lists.

What's happening with the Geocaching Classic app?

On March 23, 2016, the Geocaching Classic app will no longer be available to purchase or download in the Apple or Google Play stores. For those who currently have the app, it will be supported at least through June 2016. We will keep you updated in case anything changes along the way.

All of the Geocaching Classic app's features are either already included or are coming soon in the Geocaching® app. In addition, we've made significant improvements to those features. Stay tuned for information on upcoming releases.

In the long run, we believe this is the right direction for both seasoned geocachers and new players alike, as we aim to meet everyone's geocaching needs. We are grateful to you for sticking with us through these changes and we promise to keep you updated on the future improvements. If you haven't already, download the Geocaching® app (Apple) (Android) and give it a try!

Find more information about these changes in this Help Center FAQ.

(HQ's Marketing Team will watch this thread in order to address questions when possible.)

Do you have information from GS that you haven't shared with us?

No, but I do have access to a calendar, which I studied.

I'm quite sure that GeoTrekker26 meant to write cutoff date June and not March. And I agree that Groundspeak's statement leaves it completely open what will happen from July onwards. It is not clear whether cachers will be able to access the data base via the old paid app which will make an essential difference to basic members (not me as I do not even own a smartphone) as with the new app they can only access a very limited set of caches.

Why do people who have paid for an app. in order to see more advanced caches now find their app. will become obsolete and force them to buy a premium membership. Is this not just a cash grab?? Not everyone wants to pay for a yearly subscription but are willing to pay a onetime payment for the app.

Hi Kripau

Sympathise with your frustration. I agree totally on your 1st point. When I travel, I don't necessarily have a computer and logging onto the website to create a list or run a PQ isn't great on a phone. So creating an offline list when you do have access to wifi is really useful. The only other solution is to have planned a full itinerary before leaving home and run a lot of PQs! But what if you don't have travel plan that detailed?

When travelling abroad, I always have data roaming switched off too. Otherwise, phone charges escalate rapidly. So I cache using the offline saved maps and cache info so using a live map download is out of the question unless connected to wifi.

On your 2nd point, when you have started navigation and you have the map up with the cache showing, there is a green circular image at top left. If you press on that it changes the view so the cache will rotate as you move the phone around.

I also really really want to be able to see the caches in list form. If you are looking for a particular cache, what use is a bunch of smiley faces ???? I probably work with lists rather than maps about 60% of the time.

I am actually quite incredulous that the developers at Groundspeak HQ have not included all these features and more. Who has been consulted with?

Tim

AnTsInRpAnTs

I also have access to a calendar and I studied it and learned that June 2016 is less than 3 months away. I think that some of us fail to see your point.

If you can't post something useful, please refrain from posting. If someone else had posted that, you would have deleted it.

The issue is what support and termination thereof, means for the future of the classic app. Maybe one of the GS staff will directly answer the question which has been raised several times.

Sorry, Keystone--but it's not clear to me at all. Will the classic app work after March 23 (and then the June date mentioned) or not? That seems like a pretty simple questions--will the app still function? Why won't anybody tell us?

Geocaching HQ wrote:

"With the new Geocaching® app, you will have all the features an experienced geocacher needs, such as live search, Message Center, trackables and, most recently, geocache lists."

Although there are some great new features that the Classic App does have, such as the ability to pull up Google maps for use when driving to a cache lovcation in an unknown area rather than trying to use a caching map for that kind of navigation, this seems a very misleading statement when a good number of features in the Classis Geocaching App have not been included in this new Geocaching® app.

There are features apparently missing from the new app that experienced cachers have been making good use of for years and are going to sorely miss, such as:

- the ability to view cache searches as lists not just a page full of dots and smiley faces. If you are looking for a particular cache, it is so much easier to run your eye down a list! And once you have run such a search, it would be good to be able to save that search for offline use, as we do now on the Classic app. That list can then be edited for items not wanted for whatever reason.

- the ability to save a cache or a cache group found in the search facility to offline on your phone.

- the ability to write Personal Geocache Notes, a feature I use regularly but especially for notes on our owned caches where I find it incredibly usefu to hold data on puzzle cache solutions in case I get a query it's a lot easier to look there for detail about the puzzle construction than in a paper or word document in a file somewhere. It's also a great place to record details about a find (such as data required to work out location of a bonus cache) while have the data source cache open on your phone.

- and as mentioned elsewhere, why drop Maintenance Required and Owner Maintenance logs? If your going to provide the ability to log a find or a DNF or a Note from the field, why stop there? Are you planning to stop people logging a Maintenance Requirement? Why would we need or want to wait until we get to log it online?

Then, regarding your Help & About feature, I am sure some of the information you have on there is interesting for newcomers for a few minutes (though I would have thought they might know something about caching before downloading an app), but surely a Help section for an app should include information about how an app works (ie. some instructions for use). How things work are always self-evident for those who make them, but not so for users who have not been thinking a process through along the same lines.

Perhaps it would also be good to provide (even if not in detail there in the app, then a link to one online) an explanation to clearly state, for the benefit of Classic App users, what features will not be found in this app, so don't bother looking everywhere to not find them.

Finally, I think that it is unfair on the thousands if not millions of supportive premium members, after all we PAY annually for the privilege, to withdraw support for the "Classic" app as soon as June when we are probably not going to be happy to run with the Geocaching® app until it has been properly tried and tested by the premium member community. I for one would like to know what real research was done that justifies the statement you will have all the features an experienced geocacher needs before implementing this tool.Did you do a statistically meaningful survey of premium members across a significant range of countries?

Kind Regards

Tim

AnTsInRpAnTs

Edited by AnTsInRpAnTs

We're now in a transition period where the paid app (Geocaching Classic) won't be sold anymore (but will still be supported) while the remaining features of the paid app are re-coded to become part of the Geocaching® app. It's fine to keep using the paid app until your favorite features migrate over.

I don't know how it can be stated any clearer. Yes, the Classic app will continue to work past March, until all the features are also available in the Geocaching® app, which is projected to occur by June. If it changes from June, Geocaching HQ said in the announcement that they would let us know.

March is not equal to June. March 23 is just the date when the Classic app will no longer be offered for sale/download. It is a step in a transition period. If there wasn't a cutoff date, see all the posts expressing surprise that the Classic app is still being offered for sale. Geocaching HQ has addressed that by establishing a cutoff date, and offering limited discounts and refunds.

Wow, the new app is awful, just awful. it's slow, it's hard to use, it's nothing like the old app. Why didn't they take the classic app and update it with introductions for newcomers and the message center, etc.? I really, really hate this new app. The classic app worked perfectly well--it did everything I ever wanted it to do. I've lived through a lot of changes to the website and caching since 2010--but this is by far the worst--the very worst--thing Groundspeak has done. I've always defended GS (well, until a lackey placed a throwdown in Washington last summer) because change is inevitable. But change from a functional app to a complete mess? I can't defend that.

There is something I would like to know that may or may not relate to the release of this App but which has been a problem from around the date of the announcement of its release.

In the past, when a cache was published that was within the spec of our notification settings, we - as premium members who were using what is now the Classic app - would receive an emailed announcement about the cache with a link to it. This link, if opened on a phone, would load the new cache into the search page of the phone app and, from there, we could save it to offline for immediate use. Great if you were interested in trying for an FTF.

Although sometimes you might have been asked if you wanted to open the cache in the app or on the website, since about March 9th, the link only takes you to the website, which is pretty useless on a phone. My wife's iPad still asks the question: open in app or on the website but not the iPhone 5.

I am talking about the Classic app. It no longer seems to be possible to launch from a cache notification to the phone app.

Is this a direct result of the failure to include such a feature in the Geocaching® app? If so, it seems you have already begun to withdraw support for the Classic app 3 months ahead of your schedule.

If not, please can you advise how I can reinstate this feature?

Kind regards

Tim Finch

To gmj3191:

Here in the UK we are 8 hours ahead of Geo HQ so, if we log a cache in the field between midnight and 8 a.m. it is logged on the wrong day.

What we need is for the app to have a field in the log creation entry process in which the date can be altered as is possible when posting online.That way, you could still use a phone to post a log several days after you found a cache.

AnTs

Edited by AnTsInRpAnTs

I don't know how it can be stated any clearer. Yes, the Classic app will continue to work past March, until all the features are also available in the Geocaching® app, which is projected to occur by June. If it changes from June, Geocaching HQ said in the announcement that they would let us know.

Sorry, the announcement doesn't say that, and I don't trust anything you say. Still waiting to hear from GS. Note: for those who choose to ignore prior posts, support is not the same as functionality. I don't know how to make it clearer.

Rather than studying calendars, maybe the app developers should try using the new app alongside some serious geocachers in the field so they can see the issues that so many folks here are reporting.

ATE: I believe that is called Alpha Testing.

Edited by K13

Why do people who have paid for an app. in order to see more advanced caches now find their app. will become obsolete and force them to buy a premium membership. Is this not just a cash grab?? Not everyone wants to pay for a yearly subscription but are willing to pay a onetime payment for the app.

I am in the same boat. I originally purchased the paid app a couple of years ago and that app is the main reason I am currently a paid premier member. The offline lists vastly improved my geocaching experience, to the point that I wanted to further improve the search with pocket queries. I know that without the offline lists, I never would have seen the value of upgrading my membership.

I don't want to switch from the classic app. If it is disabled or crippled, I will probably start looking for a suitable third party app.

I am in the same boat. I originally purchased the paid app a couple of years ago and that app is the main reason I am currently a paid premier member. The offline lists vastly improved my geocaching experience, to the point that I wanted to further improve the search with pocket queries. I know that without the offline lists, I never would have seen the value of upgrading my membership.

I don't want to switch from the classic app. If it is disabled or crippled, I will probably start looking for a suitable third party app.

As a former software developer, I seriosuly doubt that this is a money grab. Much more likely is simply that the "Classic" app was a crude, early piece of development that is very difficult to maintain and enhance. They re-wrote from scratch, originally as a beginner's app, and quickly found that they had a much better foundation to build on. That is not at all unusual.

I am, however, a bit disgruntled that I paid $10, wich is MUCH MUCH more than the typical paid app (more often $1.99 or $2.99) for something that they are now giving away. Still, not about to lose any sleep over that. More disappointed to see, yet again, promises from Groundspeak about functionality yet to come. Been there, done that, should be a souvenir for that. We'll see, but I'm going to breathe normally while I wait.

What we need is for the app to have a field in the log creation entry process in which the date can be altered as is possible when posting online.That way, you could still use a phone to post a log several days after you found a cache.

I know it's not an ideal solution, but cachers can still log online by accessing geocaching.com via a web browser and thereby having full website functionality via their phone. Apps are an alternate method of accessing the geocaching.com database, but apps are not the 'only' way. Personally, I think it would be good for cachers to visit the website on occasion. If PM fees are increased to subsidize app development, then I wouldn't be pleased. There are certainly some critical features that the 'new' app still needs to have added, but I don't think the app needs encompass every single functionality available through the website.

The part that could be stated much clearer and not in June but now is what is meant by "the support for the old app will be offered until June or maybe longer". It is evident that GS in their own interest will not kill the old app before the new one offers the functionality they intend to implement.

What needs a clarification is however whether the old app will be available to be used by those who already have it beyond June and considerably beyond that date or whether the usage will be blocked once the new app offers what GS wants it to offer. Many cachers raised this question this thread and I wonder why we have not heard anything from marketing.

Hi Kripau

Sympathise with your frustration. I agree totally on your 1st point. When I travel, I don't necessarily have a computer and logging onto the website to create a list or run a PQ isn't great on a phone. So creating an offline list when you do have access to wifi is really useful. The only other solution is to have planned a full itinerary before leaving home and run a lot of PQs! But what if you don't have travel plan that detailed?

When travelling abroad, I always have data roaming switched off too. Otherwise, phone charges escalate rapidly. So I cache using the offline saved maps and cache info so using a live map download is out of the question unless connected to wifi.

On your 2nd point, when you have started navigation and you have the map up with the cache showing, there is a green circular image at top left. If you press on that it changes the view so the cache will rotate as you move the phone around.

I also really really want to be able to see the caches in list form. If you are looking for a particular cache, what use is a bunch of smiley faces ???? I probably work with lists rather than maps about 60% of the time.

I am actually quite incredulous that the developers at Groundspeak HQ have not included all these features and more. Who has been consulted with?

Tim

AnTsInRpAnTs

Hi Tim,

I have seen the green circle, but clicking this only lights up the icon, but the map is not reacting. (for info: i'm using an iphone 4S)

Kris

The part that could be stated much clearer and not in June but now is what is meant by "the support for the old app will be offered until June or maybe longer". It is evident that GS in their own interest will not kill the old app before the new one offers the functionality they intend to implement.

What needs a clarification is however whether the old app will be available to be used by those who already have it beyond June and considerably beyond that date or whether the usage will be blocked once the new app offers what GS wants it to offer. Many cachers raised this question this thread and I wonder why we have not heard anything from marketing.

Geocaching HQ has said that "The Classic app will continue to work as long as you have it on your phone... "Retiring" means it won't be downloadable/available for others to purchase. You'll still be able to use it if you currently have it on your phone."

Geocaching HQ has said that "The Classic app will continue to work as long as you have it on your phone... "Retiring" means it won't be downloadable/available for others to purchase. You'll still be able to use it if you currently have it on your phone."

Where did they say that? I neither can find it in the first post nor in the FAQ linked there.

Of course, that means that current users won't be able to re-install the Classic app when they replace/upgrade their phones. When you replace/upgrade your phone and re-install all the apps you bought from your platform's app store, the Classic app won't be available.
Of course, that means that current users won't be able to re-install the Classic app when they replace/upgrade their phones. When you replace/upgrade your phone and re-install all the apps you bought from your platform's app store, the Classic app won't be available.

From the Help Center FAQ's on App transition issues:

If I get a new phone or accidentally delete the app, how will I reload the Geocaching Classic app?

Sign into the Apple or Google account where you originally purchased the app. Then, take the following steps depending on your device:

On an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1) Tap App Store.

2) On an iPhone or iPod touch: Tap Updates, then tap Purchased.

On an iPad: Tap Purchased.

3) Scroll to find the app that you want to download

4) Tap the Download icon. After the app downloads, you can open it from your home screen.

Android

Open the Google Play Store app Google Play.

1) Tap Menu Google Play Store Menu Icon> My Apps and games > All

2) Tap the app you want to reinstall.

3) Tap Install.

Am I the only one who would prefer a compass circle with a directional arrow pointing at the cache, rather than the black navigation band?

My comment about stealth interface mentions that if you are navigating and have the black band, if you tap the black band, a compass circle with a directional arrow appears. I didn't try that in the field yet. The big compass is there but hidden. Get the big compass by tapping the thin black band. Go back by tapping close at upper right.

I am concerned by the limitation of the new app for non-premium members to only 1.5/1.5 D/T ratings or lower. This is not nice or fair. It doesn't encourage people to become members of the geocaching community. I've been a premium member for over 10 years including during my 270-some day slump and 522-day streak. People respond much better to having carrots dangled in front of them rather than doors slammed in their faces.

When I place a cache, if I want to restrict it to premium members, I restrict it by choosing that box. I choose the difficulty/terrain and type based on appropriate criteria. I recently placed a 2.5/2.0 mystery cache in a local park. I think it is entirely reasonable for a basic member to be able to see that cache in the new app. I am appalled that non-premium users cannot see that cache in the new app. That is not in the spirit of the friendly geocaching community. Please remove that restriction in your next release.

As a former software developer, I seriosuly doubt that this is a money grab. Much more likely is simply that the "Classic" app was a crude, early piece of development that is very difficult to maintain and enhance. They re-wrote from scratch, originally as a beginner's app, and quickly found that they had a much better foundation to build on. That is not at all unusual.

I am, however, a bit disgruntled that I paid $10, wich is MUCH MUCH more than the typical paid app (more often $1.99 or $2.99) for something that they are now giving away. Still, not about to lose any sleep over that. More disappointed to see, yet again, promises from Groundspeak about functionality yet to come. Been there, done that, should be a souvenir for that. We'll see, but I'm going to breathe normally while I wait.

Ditto all this.

They decided to move towards the tradeoff - instead of a paid app and a free app, they merged them into a single free app (good for all) but still desire a way to actually, you know, make money (whether or not it's "profit"), so instead of a completely capable free app, they now offer a way to improve your app experience by tying into purchasing the premium membership.

I can grok that. It's a sensible move to me.

The PM is worth the benefits.

However, I use an $8 app that is FAR more capable than the official (was $10) app. And the $8 app is even growing outof date. But it'll take a whole lot of improved functionality, features, and user-friendliness for me to make the switch. However, I'm also more of an advanced user, which as far as I'm concerned isn't really the target audience for the new-official free Geocaching® app.

And on that note, I do think that the limitation on the available caches for searching for a non-PM member is a little extreme. And even not being able to see some of the most basic details of one of those listings.

Not in the store, but if you backup the app, you can reinstall it manually from the file. If you really really want to keep that app. (same strategy has been used with other apps for bad upgraded versions, to revert back to a favourite old version).

I am, however, a bit disgruntled that I paid $10, wich is MUCH MUCH more than the typical paid app (more often $1.99 or $2.99) for something that they are now giving away.

This doesn't bother me as I don't use the app, and so haven't stumped up $10 but I have heard on FB that some basic members are being sent a code for %50 off a premium membership subscription, it seems to me that GS could buy a cartload of good will if they would simply extend that offer to anyone who previously bought the paid app.

There's a lot to read in this thread, so my apologies if some of my concerns have been addressed.

As a newbie, this is frustrating. I have 47 caches under my best, and I liked challenging myself with tougher caches. And I will admit, this update and new limitations unless you go premium is enough to steer me away from caching for a while. What did I pay for originally?! The reviews I've read are equally as frustrated with the changes.

For now, as therapeutic as caching has been for me the last while, I'm stepping away for a bit.

new limitations unless you go premium is enough to steer me away from caching for a while.

Wait! Don't go.

There are other apps besides the Groundspeak ones.

As far as I know, only the Groundspeak ones have this 1.5 limit.

Not gone yet.

What other apps do you recommend? I'm not quite ready to invest in a GPS yet.

Can I get my $10 from the Groundspeak app in the meantime?

Edited by galfromaway