Release Notes (Geocaching Intro is now Geocaching® app) March 9, 2016

Read previous Release Notes

Release Notes - March 9, 2016

A new name for the grown-up Geocaching Intro app

With the addition of advanced tools, 'Geocaching Intro' has officially outgrown its name. It has been renamed to the Geocaching® app — an app we made for Premium members.

To differentiate the new Geocaching® app from the older paid app, we have changed the paid app's name to 'Geocaching Classic'.

We want to create a single geocaching experience on mobile that can do both: serve as a simple introduction to the game and unlock the full geocaching experience with Premium membership. This is a request we've heard from players for a long time and is something we've come to agree with: your Premium Membership should include all the best geocaching tools.

With the new Geocaching® app, you will have all the features an experienced geocacher needs, such as live search, Message Center, trackables and, most recently, geocache lists.

What's happening with the Geocaching Classic app?

On March 23, 2016, the Geocaching Classic app will no longer be available to purchase or download in the Apple or Google Play stores. For those who currently have the app, it will be supported at least through June 2016. We will keep you updated in case anything changes along the way.

All of the Geocaching Classic app's features are either already included or are coming soon in the Geocaching® app. In addition, we've made significant improvements to those features. Stay tuned for information on upcoming releases.

In the long run, we believe this is the right direction for both seasoned geocachers and new players alike, as we aim to meet everyone's geocaching needs. We are grateful to you for sticking with us through these changes and we promise to keep you updated on the future improvements. If you haven't already, download the Geocaching® app (Apple) (Android) and give it a try!

Find more information about these changes in this Help Center FAQ.

(HQ's Marketing Team will watch this thread in order to address questions when possible.)

If you haven't already, download the Geocaching® app and give it a try!

(HQ's Marketing Team will watch this thread in order to address questions when possible.)

Hello Marketing team:

The link above goes to a page with two headings

Get Started with the Free Geocaching Intro Apps

and

Expand Your Geocaching World with the Full-Featured Apps

the implication from those headings is that you should go for the second set if you want the Full Monty, but the second set is for the Classic app which is being retired in a couple of weeks. This is going to confuse people, you really should remove the links to the Classic app NOW.

I can't get my inventory to sync up.

A TB I recently took is in it in the new app, but a few others that I dropped off (and logged) weeks ago (probably last time I used the old intro app) are still shown in my inventory. For a few I could access them from the main profile page, and after I had done that, it registred that I didn't have them with me and they got removed from my inventory. However only five are shown there and those are with me, so I can't access nummer 6, 7 and further from there. I can see the my inventory page where they all are, but can't get them to disappear from my inventory.

Also, I have a few coins that are in my collection and not in my inventory. But they are all between all other tb's in my inventory.

So this is used by premium members and intro and non paid members? If yes does this mean intro and non paid members can see PMO caches?

No, Basic Members cannot see PMO caches in the Geocaching® app. You'd have to be logged into the app with your Premium Membership to see them.

So this is used by premium members and intro and non paid members? If yes does this mean intro and non paid members can see PMO caches?

Seems to be similar to how the Windows app's run for some time.

One app, but more bells n whistles (and pmo caches) available only with a premium membership. :)

Another strange thing: In the new app there is still a menu link to "buy the app with all functions" (or something like that, I translated it from dutch). This links to the app that will be discontinued in a few days :S

The reference to the paid app will magically disappear in the next few hours from the Geocaching® app.

No, Basic Members cannot see PMO caches in the Geocaching® app. You'd have to be logged into the app with your Premium Membership to see them.

Thank you

Finally no more trap app in the store, the Classic app was there just to get people spend 10$ to get an app with just a few more features than the Intro, an old look and no more "real" updates.

Way to go, Intro!

P.S. Even if probably I'll just keep using Cachly on my iPhone. ;)

There is still a link in the NEW app released today that says "Buy the Full-Featured App" - that should be removed immediately too.

Edit to add: Oops. I see this was already addressed. Sorry.

Edited by brilang

Another strange thing: In the new app there is still a menu link to "buy the app with all functions" (or something like that, I translated it from dutch). This links to the app that will be discontinued in a few days :S

The reference to the paid app will magically disappear in the next few hours from the Geocaching® app.

I can confirm that it disappeared. Not sure if any magic was involved however...no traces of magic dust found on my phone.

The personal geocache notes feature is missing.

Also the autoupdating search seems to be a bit lacking in function. I also have a local hole of caches on my map in the new geocaching® App, which isnt there when I search the same area on the classic app. Sometimes I even have a completely blank map page, I take due to the sheer number of caches the app is trying to load at once.

I cannot find a way to navigate to a cache like there was in the paid app.

I think it was: view on external map, then I was navigated right to it.

Caching offline as an absolute necessity, many areas have no cell reception.

I like access to the lists from the geocaching site. But also want list capability like the classic app. I use the two for completely different purposes.

Where are pocket queries accessed from now?

I know I'm a low numbers cacher, but all of my finds have been by the paid app.

For a cache with corrected coordinates, the map still shows the geocache icon in the original posted location, not the solved location. Even though the app shows it as having "Solved Coordinates". When you click 'Start', the map display changes to the solved coordinates.

My phone just updated the un-paid app. I'm also seeing an issue with my TB inventory. On the website, my Trackables Inventory page correctly shows 2 TB's in my possession.

However, the app showed that I have 7 TB's in my Inventory. For the 5 TB's that I no longer have in my possession:

• For 3, the most recent activity was that I dropped it into a cache. These 3 TB's should no longer be in my inventory.
  • For 2, I had previously dropped them and they've since been retrieved by other cachers. Interestingly, the Inventory sync'd and the TB's dropped from my app Inventory after I clicked on the "Activity:" --> "View All" button.

Since the 2 that have been retrieved dropped from my Inventory, the app now shows that I have 5 TB's in my inventory. The correct count should be 2, which is what the website shows.

The personal geocache notes feature is missing.

Also the autoupdating search seems to be a bit lacking in function. I also have a local hole of caches on my map in the new geocaching® App, which isnt there when I search the same area on the classic app. Sometimes I even have a completely blank map page, I take due to the sheer number of caches the app is trying to load at once.

I'm also having the same issue with no caches showing up on the map where they should be - and agree the auto search is sloooooooooow. I'm giving a few days to see if this sorts itself out. and the personal geocache notes IS A MUST!!!!!!!

Edited by MidnightsRaiders

The "My Lists" feature is nice. However, I think it's a bit of a misnomer.

This section actually shows both Lists and Downloaded PQ's. The lists have "Last Modified: m/d/yyyy" above the list name, while the downloaded pq's have "Last Generated: m/d/yyyy" above the PQ name. I'd suggest updating the "Info" button to better explain what is actually included in the "My Lists" section. Many cachers want to see PQ's in the app, and this seems to fulfill that request, but it's not clear that PQ's are available when the section refers only to "My Lists". I think it also helps to clarify that only downloaded PQ's are included in this section, not all PQ's that a cacher has created.

The "My Lists" (and PQ's) feature would be more useful if the caches could be viewed on a map, rather than just listed.

I use an iPhone 6 for caching almost all the time now. With this release, I am finding that the New Cache Notifications that contain a link that looks like the following no longer allow me to jump to either the newer caching app or the classic app. When I select that link in my message it now only opens the webpage in Safari for the cache and will not ask me if I want the webpage or the app.

Is this feature gone or just an oversight?

http://coord.info/GC6CVK2

I use an iPhone 6 for caching almost all the time now. With this release, I am finding that the New Cache Notifications that contain a link that looks like the following no longer allow me to jump to either the newer caching app or the classic app. When I select that link in my message it now only opens the webpage in Safari for the cache and will not ask me if I want the webpage or the app.

Is this feature gone or just an oversight?

http://coord.info/GC6CVK2

Wow you are right, it only takes you to the website now and the option is gone. I deleted the NEW app and thought I might get that option with my paid one. NOPE! A step back today.

What happens to all my lists with saved waypoints for puzzles and multis from the "Classic" app .can they be imported. AND I cannot even see any list saving capabilities, lists now are actually Pocket Queries.

I hated the compass on the intro app, and now its back with this ?new? version. :( :(

Filtering - as above.

The Classic app works great and I am so used to it - i m H o . just keep tweaking it.

The ONLY advantage is messaging.

What happens to all my lists with saved waypoints for puzzles and multis from the "Classic" app .can they be imported. AND I cannot even see any list saving capabilities, lists now are actually Pocket Queries.

I hated the compass on the intro app, and now its back with this ?new? version. :( :(

Filtering - as above.

The Classic app works great and I am so used to it - i m H o . just keep tweaking it.

The ONLY advantage is messaging.

This is why I think were still stuck having to use the paid app and the NEW one still. Sighs

I can confirm that it disappeared. Not sure if any magic was involved however...no traces of magic dust found on my phone.

Shame the paid app is still better than this.

If the paid app (now called Geocaching Classic) will no longer be supported, does this mean that everyone is going to be eventually needing to use the new app only? If so, will any of our saved bookmark lists (those we saved to be able to access offline) be automatically transferred over to the new app?

If the paid app (now called Geocaching Classic) will no longer be supported, does this mean that everyone is going to be eventually needing to use the new app only? If so, will any of our saved bookmark lists (those we saved to be able to access offline) be automatically transferred over to the new app?

Doubtful. It will more than likely just be removed from the app store, and no further updates. Just don't delete it as you can never get it back without a jailbreak. I have apps that are no longer supported and I love them and just keep using them as always. I think we will be o.k. But if for some reason they cut off any functionality from it and force us to use the NEW app, I will be Pissed right off! Find a android for cheap and use C:Geo.

I let the paid app update this evening for "bug fixes". What I received was a defeatured update. Recent logs are now limited to the last 5 entries. Not cool!

New app is clunky clunky clunky. Not an improvement

Edited by NDOkie

Noticed somethings missing that I used quite a bit:

1. unable to add maintenance logs or archive my caches from new app

2. cannot see my personal geocache notes

3. my owned caches do not have different colors on the map (all show as green star circles)

4. saved lists do not have a map view

5. cannot save caches to offline list

6. cannot open new cache notifications in app (it goes to website instead)

7. cannot add favorite points when logging cache

8. cannot refresh geocache data

9. no setting menu to personalize (miles/km, ignore list

10. no openstreetmaps and no opencycle maps (great for showing park trails!)

11. no option to exclude users in filter

12. cannot filter premium only

13. cannot add needs maintenance log, cannot temporarily disable cache

suggestions:

1. add related web page link (helpful for wherigos and puzzles)

2. solved puzzles show corrected coordinates on map

3. able to correct coordinates for letterboxes and wherigos (change to actual final location)

4. add ability to delete messages from message center (I get hundreds from my earthcache answers)

5. add ability to update coordinates for owned caches using the app

I let the paid app update this evening for "bug fixes". What I received was a defeatured update. Recent logs are now limited to the last 5 entries. Not cool!

I also updated the paid app today, and I can press the "more logs" button to see more logs, just like I've always done.

New app is clunky clunky clunky. Not an improvement

Not sure what exactly you mean by "clunky," but please note, features currently available only in the paid app will migrate to the free app. For example, see above regarding offline lists, expected to become available by March 23rd.

I think *removing* features that have been, for a long time, available to *all users* (even if they had to make a one-time payment for the app) as a way to artificially create value for Premium Subscriptions is kind of a middle finger to a big part of your community...

No more Field Notes!

Be prepared to see every one of your caches logged with just a period or, if the finder is feeling verbose, you might get a "TFTC" log.

And what is with the 30 second or so navigation refresh?

Move very, very slowly or you'll be 100 feet past the cache.

Field notes were never a feature in the free app. That's why I always used the paid app, where the feature continues to be available. I hope that field notes are prioritized for migration into the free app's feature set, and it sounds like you do, too!

All of the Geocaching Classic app's features are either already included or are coming soon in the Geocaching® app. In addition, we've made significant improvements to those features. Stay tuned for information on upcoming releases.

Sure, but not features like the ability to find multis or traditionals over 1.5/1.5, for example, right? ;)

Those count as features too and were available for Basic Members. Suddenly, no more. That's what I mean when I'm referring to "artificially creating value for Premium subscriptions". If the restrictions had always worked that way, it wouldn't matter... But you're taking away from the general public and hiding them behind a paywall after all these years.

Sure, but not features like the ability to find multis or traditionals over 1.5/1.5, for example, right? ;)

Those count as features too and were available for Basic Members. Suddenly, no more. That's what I mean when I'm referring to "artificially creating value for Premium subscriptions". If the restrictions had always worked that way, it wouldn't matter... But you're taking away from the general public and hiding them behind a paywall after all these years.

Multi-caches and caches with higher D/T ratings remain available to basic members on the website, just as they always have, unless marked for Premium Members only. It's been that way since 2002 when I began playing. I guess I have a different definition of "for a long time" and a different baseline. As I "grew up" using the website, I've not observed basic member functions being taken away when viewed against the constant definition of the basic geocaching experience. The introduction of smartphone apps changed that. I view the smartphone apps as an add-on, though I recognize that for many newer geocachers, the free app's feature set defines their baseline.

Map contrast makes it difficult to distinguish a cache from terrain when satellite is displayed. I prefer the teardrop shape and contrasting color, not dark green dot on dark green terrain/satellite image

I have lists in the paid app and offline logs to complete later that are not available in new free app

As previously noted, from notifications, neither app opens, just GC.com

Will try to use free app for a bit and make a list....have tried free apps many times and it's lacking, but willing to take another look

Can't force a refresh of caches on the map, or suppress searching until I have scrolled to a new area

Free app locked and then logged me out, restarted and had to begin search again

Edited by Scarch

Hi Groundspeak team,

I know this is lengthy, but please read this contribution:

Although I have missed multiple features in the now depricated app, I have used it for all of my 3800 finds since 2010 in about 30 countries, 60 % of those in Germany - so I know what to do with it and so far did not see a need to try the intro app more than having an early look and then deleting it again. Today I saw myself forded to have al look again and I am shocked to see that it is planned to replace the old app so soon:

Some features are great, and the look and feel is much fresher. I am sure you know the strong points.

So here is the criticism (I do not mention the critical feature of offline lists):

1. There are parts of the world where open street maps are essential (I am travelling a lot, and even sometimes in the US, but more so in remote places, there are no alternatives)

2. I can't see the added waypoints in solved puzzle caches that I added in the old app - ok, I can tranfer them, but why? I know you suggest to use "corrected coords", but for some cache types that doesn't work, e. g. if preparing a multi where the waypoints are given in the text but not listed as waypoints.

3. I use PQs to generate offline lists along routes - e. g. travelling in foreign countries (Yes, there is a world outside the US). So far I can't import them to the app (not even live, not speaking of offline storing). Or are you relying on project-gc.com to do the clever filtering and filling the bookmark lists for you?

3. I can't see the "personal cache notes" that I have added to many caches

4. The valuable screen estate top right is used for the (i) button - why not use it for something people use a lot?

5. The details view of a cache is designed for "looking nice", not being practical. You are trying to target both startes and experienced users, and for the latter using more than one sceen size to tell them there are not trackables and who the owner is seems a wast of space requiring heavy scrolling (which nobody likes)

6. Speaking of scrolling: performance of scrolling on an iPhone5 (not too old device, although not very recent of course) is very slow.

7. I can not send a "needs maintenance" log from the app - I see that "needs archive" is not necessarily required to be possible from the app, but NA is something people should be encouraged to log.

8. When looking at a bookmark list (that I like, no need to generate a PQ and downloading it) I cannot display it on a map - I have solved mysteries all over the world and would like to see only the ones in an area I am going to visit. And even when I am home, sorting by distance is not the same as seeing them arranged on a map.

9. The list view of caches should show the most important rating: D/T! There is plenty os space in the list items.

10. Overall performance is poor - scrolling in lists is so slow that you often hit the wrong list item as the screen update is lagging. Again: an iPhone5 is not up to date, but no reason to not support it (or make it clear that you intend not to support it).

11. The compass is not showing accuracy any more - when being in the woods or a downtown area, this is crucial to judge how wide the search area should be.

I am glad Groundspeak is trying to be innovative again in the new app, but please don't forget the phone is not just a starters device to geocaching. On Android c:geo (despite being given no support from Groundspeak as far as I know) has become the standard, and I thought from time to time to get an android phone just for geocaching. If not most of these points are resolved, I see no chance in using the new app. Please keep the old one alive longer!

thanks for any feedback (also personal mail),

Thomas

Thanks for this quote from the original post. It currently seems silly to turn off ability to download the 'classic' app when there are features (some of which as indicated by a number of posters a glaring ommisions) from 'the new' app that are only indicated as 'coming soon' said new Geocaching® app.

I'll be keeping classic until the new app plays catch up...

Edited by Kernow Colossus