New Geocaching App

Jimmy G

I purchased what is now called the Geocaching Classic app several years ago. If I download the "new and improved" Geocaching app will I have to purchase it again?

They're two separate apps, so downloading the Geocaching® app (formerly the Intro app) doesn't affect the paid Geocaching Classic app. They can live side-by-side on your phone.

BTW, there are now Release Notes with more information about the change.

I purchased what is now called the Geocaching Classic app several years ago. If I download the "new and improved" Geocaching app will I have to purchase it again?

You can have both apps on your phone.

The "new and improved" Geocaching app is free, so you won't have to pay for it. You will need to download it though.

Please remember one is for Premium members but can be used by non but will not see the Premium caches.

I know that doesn't seem right but once you have downloaded you will understand. Also if you make a list of caches on your computer you will be able to see that/those lists on your mobile device.

It only takes a bit of time to understand what you can do with the new copyright version.

Good luck, you will enjoy the new improved. :D

Not really a cool move forcing us to pay for premium account to have something we already had in app that we paid for and that will be discontinued...

I wonder what you saw in the paid application without a premium membership that you can't see now in the new app without premium membership?

The "new and improved" Geocaching app is free, so you won't have to pay for it. You will need to download it though.

But isn't the $10 app (the good one) being sunset on March 23, meaning no new updates and whenever they decide to change the database, it'll be kaput?

The new version of "intro" doesn't have any ability to save caches for use when you're nowhere near signal reception (like most every state park). That is the feature I use most often. I guess I'll have to investigate geosphere or see if c:geo works for iOS now.

But isn't the $10 app (the good one) being sunset on March 23, meaning no new updates and whenever they decide to change the database, it'll be kaput?

The new version of "intro" doesn't have any ability to save caches for use when you're nowhere near signal reception (like most every state park). That is the feature I use most often. I guess I'll have to investigate geosphere or see if c:geo works for iOS now.

Please read this reply by the Development Manager of GC HQ. bad_boy_animated.gif

Edited by GEO-BREIN

I installed the new app. I hate it. Can't figure out how to move around and use it. Nothing seems to respond. I rely on my GPRS unit for caching and use the classic phone app mainly to have the satellite maps tell me which tree I should be looking at (Coords are always off). Occasionally I will log from the field.

Right now it's stuck on an not found cache showing me walking to it directions and map but I can't find the compass arrow or the satellite maps. This thing is a nightmare.

I may get a new phone next month and it looks like I won't be able to buy the classic after march 23.

I'm not happy.

Please read this reply by the Development Manager of GC HQ. bad_boy_animated.gif

And this post regarding the "sunset" date (late June): Release Notes - March 9, 2016

On March 23, 2016, the Geocaching Classic app will no longer be available to purchase or download in the Apple or Google Play stores. For those who currently have the app, it will be supported at least through June 2016. We will keep you updated in case anything changes along the way.

I have just looked through the new updated App, and it now has better functions and utilities than the premium App. When are these functions going to be put over to those that have paid for the premium app and subscription. I noticed very early in the piece that the app for IOS had these better functions. (adding waypoints during a multi cache). Although I have downloaded both I would prefer to use one.

I have just looked through the new updated App, and it now has better functions and utilities than the premium App. When are these functions going to be put over to those that have paid for the premium app and subscription. I noticed very early in the piece that the app for IOS had these better functions. (adding waypoints during a multi cache). Although I have downloaded both I would prefer to use one.

I might not be understanding your question, but are you asking about when features will be added to the PAID app? If that is your question, then the answer is that the features will not be added. The PAID app is not going to be updated with new features.

New features and future development will only be done in the FREE app.

My apologies if this doesn't address your question. I may just be mis-reading your post.

Used the new App today. Worked well. Loaded the geocache from nearby wifi and went for the hunt (not using my data) and it kept every thing I needed to make the find. So clicked on found log and typed my response and submitted it. When I got home checked to see if it had gone through and well it sent my log 9 times so had to go and delete all these extra logs. Why did it do that?

I guess you didn't look very well because adding waypoints is something that is added to the new app. On top you have a tab called waypoints. Go there and add your waypoints.

I use both apps but prefer to use only one. I love the features of the new app. I think it will be awesome when the add all the features. I miss the ability to save offline caches. You can do it but you have to go online and creat a bookmark. I can make that work for now. Now I'm sure you can visit trackables on the new app but I haven't figured that out yet. A "visit all" button would be great. I tried it and it ask me what cache do I want to visit. Another time it ask me to write a note for each trackable I was visiting. I'll figure it out though.

Edited by TheComputerDoctor

At least you paid for it several years ago, I just started back geocaching after several years of not. Thought the new paid app looked cool and paid for it. Two days latter this new free app came out. Thanks for taking my money.

At least you paid for it several years ago, I just started back geocaching after several years of not. Thought the new paid app looked cool and paid for it. Two days latter this new free app came out. Thanks for taking my money.

Within 30 days you get a money back garantee. bad_boy_animated.gif

I might not be understanding your question, but are you asking about when features will be added to the PAID app? If that is your question, then the answer is that the features will not be added. The PAID app is not going to be updated with new features.

New features and future development will only be done in the FREE app.

My apologies if this doesn't address your question. I may just be mis-reading your post.

Yes it does. Now using the classic app and happy. Like so many others it is a shame that the premium app was discontinued.