Sad about missing travel bugs

thatbrowncat

I have a travel bug hotel. I try to keep watch over it and add travel bugs.

A new user came to my cache and logged his visit. I was worried about the bugs because he didn't say anything about them, but I was hoping for the best.

Today I checked on them and both bugs are gone and in their place 2 swag items. I wrote to the user and to the owners and marked the bugs missing. I feel a sense of responsibility because they were lost in my cache. :(

I'm hoping for the best and that the new user has them and just didn't know about how to log them.

As they're an "inactive member", with the "send email" feature disabled, and "never" as logging onto the site, how did you attempt to get hold of them?

Supposedly, the message center contacts these people.

Good luck.

Isn't that free muggle app great ?

When I click on his name in my logs, an option comes up to send him a message (not an email, a message).

I did so without difficulty.

What is a free muggle app? I don't get that. Do you mean folks get on the app and muggle the caches and bugs? LOL Makes me sad for the trackable owners.

Edited by thatbrowncat

Sorry, but I would never place a TB in a cache that has a low D/T rating that would show up on the intro app for the unvalidated members to find.

+1

Our last remaining low D/T hide is a micro, too small for trackables.

The landowner asked for it, and that's the only way we'd keep it where it is.

Our few remaining regulars are high enough in D/T to keep off the free intro app.

- Luckily we didn't get any on that, "get 'em all for FREE!" thing held last weekend...

Sorry, but I would never place a TB in a cache that has a low D/T rating that would show up on the intro app for the unvalidated members to find.

- Luckily we didn't get any on that, "get 'em all for FREE!" thing held last weekend...

All except the PMO caches.. which I think caused a little confusion. :laughing:

I went PMO on all of my listings a few years ago because of the intro app and the UVM's. :anibad:

As for TB Hotels, we dropped three TB's in OBX last September and they all went MIA. :(

What is a free muggle app?

This is reference to the free introductory Geocaching app. The person who visited your cache and traded for the trackables was using that app, presumably, as it's how it's possible to find caches without having a validated account.

To protect trackables in your cache, consider making it PMO. That will keep it out of the free app - the free app shows Traditional caches and Events, limited to D/T of 1.5 and below. To make it PMO, visit the edit page, that's a check box.

I decided since this is a travel bug hotel I would take the advice here and make it a premium only cache.

I have resisted doing that because I feel as though people shouldn't have to pay to participate, particularly if it is a child and the parent may be resistant to put any money into the game. Also, poorer people would not be able to participate as much. However, since this does have trackables, I do see the logic in this.

being a tb owner I feel your pain. I have not had any luck with either of the TB'S  I have released both had a goal to travel rte 66 one never made it out of state the other ended up in Germany and then was logged as missing by the tb hotel owner. :mad: