Must do geocaches

lordsamiam

I am planning a cross country roadtrip. It is including must see museums, historical sights, state/national parks and geocaches. What are some of your favorite caches? Bonus points if there are mutiple within the same area. Please include cache name(s) and the location optionally what makes it so great. Cheers!

What MtnMutt said. Also, a great way to find out favorite caches is to use Favorites. For Washington state, for example, sort the entire state's caches by Favorite points and you'll see which ones we like the best, including the gum wall, Tubular series, Goblindust caches, GCD, the Headquarters GeoTour, etc.

I'm assuming they are looking for places to plan a route past. One of my pet route finding cache lists is the oldest in each state (I have 6 or 7 to go).

Here's some of my favorite places in Idaho:

GC13FQ1 Launch Pad Parking Lot - Big Southern Butte is a great adventure with wonderful views, too bad the summit cache got archived but drive up there.

GCH0QX Craters of the Moon National Monument - a not to be missed area in Idaho, there are a few Earth Caches here also.

GCD753 Single Grave - a fun navigation problem to find the 'right' way in to a cool historic spot.

GC51BC Joint Venture at Crater Rings - another interesting sight, look at the sat maps.

GCN7HM Dog Bark Park - one very cool B&B along the side of the highway.

GCGP77 City of Rocks - fascinating rock formations, even better if you're a climber.

As I have written with your posts in other regional forms, I usually go find caches by first planning where I want to go. I have ever used favorite points so I cannot recommend them - there may or not be a correlation between the caches I want to find and caches with a lot of favorites.

Several years ago, a friend saw a website about visiting 48 states in two weeks. He and a few others set out to do so and found caches in every state. That may or may not be something you could look at in planning a route. My own style is to go a bit more slowly.

In the northwest, my favorite spot is the Olympic Peninsula - that would keep you busy. I am hoping to get back for a kayak trip out to a lighthouse virtual, since bad weather thwarted us during our last trip. I once did a whirlwind trip to the old APE cache - it's no longer there but I believe there is a replacement and if the tunnel is open, it is worth doing.

Portland and Seattle have some fun places, of course. The Columbia Gorge is worth visiting - a friend saw the area and moved there within a month, never happier since then. In additional to the natural beauty, the area features a great virtual at a spot honoring pioneers, a cache at a cement replica of Stonehenge, and a Bigfoot series. In Portland, there was a cache at the worlds smallest park, a long line at Voodoo doughnuts, an interesting earthcache in one of the subway stations, and the Rimsky-Korsacoffee House (no cache but that was our destination after the Gorge). Mt St. Helens was worth seeing, - we came from the south and did several earthcaches, including one in a nearby lava cave.

Crater Lake had some nice caches, and just below that in California were the lava beds - a cache or two with some fun lava caves.

Some of my more memorable cache finds are:

GC92 Un-Original Stash - Location where the first 'cache' was hidden in 2000 - 1072 likes

GCGV0P Original Stash Tribute Plaque - Very near GC92 - 2778 likes

GCCCFF Vashon-???? - Small but famous cache in WA - 49 likes

GCG3YM Minuteman Missle - Virtual in SD - 95 likes

GCZQ5H Wind Cave National Park - EC in SD - 89 likes (and the cave is great!)

GCQJTA Barringer Crater Earthcache - EC in AZ - 156 likes