Must do geocaches

lordsamiam

I am planning a cross country roadtrip. It is including must see museums, historical sights, state/national parks and geocaches. What are some of your favorite caches? Bonus points if there are mutiple within the same area. Please include cache name(s) and the location optionally what makes it so great. Cheers!

GC202RG in Pella, IA. It is probably the most favorited cache in IA. I feel that Eastern IA near the Mississippi River is really pretty. It's been a while but the caches in the Le Mars, IA area used to be fairly creative. Search the St. Joeseph, MO area by favorites. Western NE has cool rockformations and good hikes. GC32VZA near Elkader,IA

I mentioned in a reply at the Western Forum that Cahokia Mounds came to mind. My wife was a little disappointed, but with a little imagination the mounds come to life. We enjoyed caches along the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi, making our way up to Hannibal. The old Route 66 Chain of Rocks bridge that crosses the Mississippi was fun. St. Charles was an interesting place. The arch in St Louis. But my favorite St Louis attraction was the City Museum. There was a cache nearby when we visited, just another container, but it gave me something to mark a trip to the Museum and have a great beer.

If you get to Alliance Nebraska, stop at CarHenge. I have been telling my wife for years that we should plan a vacation around it - or at least figure out a detour on our way elsewhere. There is a cache there, but it sadly remains on my bucket list.

I never rely on caching favorites or pay them any attention, but Roadside America, virtuals/earthcaches, and some planning gets me to where I want to go. There is usually a cache nearby.

Edited by geodarts

But my favorite St Louis attraction was the City Museum. There was a cache nearby when we visited, just another container, but it gave me something to mark a trip to the Museum and have a great beer.

If you have time you should spend the day at the City Museum in St. Louis. So much to climb and play on, even for adults! Good for someone that enjoys art as well. Also, there's a lot of caches at Forest Park. The Gadget Cache series that GC530CH is in was really good, but it looks like they were recently flooded out. Maybe they will be repaired.

Edited by jenny08_1015

Sioux Falls/Brandon, SD area has the most geocaches per square mile in South Dakota! If you choose to come, I can get you a list of some MUST DO geocaches that I have found and that have been recommended to me. Brandon is home to one of the only 5/5 caches in South Dakota, and it was a lonely cache for a few years before being found...