Southwest Pa. Geocaching

zigadabuzz

Hello and welcome to geocaching and the forums! I will be sure to hunt down your cache at Laurel Caverns the next time I'm down that way. Thanks for placing that!

The geocachers in Southwest PA try to get together at least twice a year for an "event cache." The next one is scheduled for August 16th, it is called "Jennings Wing-Ding" and it will be held in Moraine State Park. I know that's quite a ways from the Laurel Cavern area. I think that Quest Master might be planning a fall picnic and that will be right in your neck of the woods. You're welcome, of course, to set something up yourself!

I have talked with several of the other more active geocachers in our region. I don't think there's a strong sentiment to form any sort of organization or chapter. We have seen too many problems with similar organizations in other areas. (Granted, there are also some really good groups, like in Erie and Cleveland.) We already have social events, and we already have good relations with land managers, so why do we need an organization with officers and by-laws and more rules? I say let's just go out and find caches, and have a party together once in awhile.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

I am kicking around the idea of hosting another event cache in September. I am thinking that I might like to organize an event for serious geocachers who might travel to Southwestern Pennsylvania for a weekend of geocaching in the mountains where the wild caches run free and there are no urban micros or lame 1/1 virts. I would be arranging overnight camping accomodations for such an event. I was thinking that the group campgrounds at Ohiopyle might be a possibility but I haven't looked into it yet. Laurel Caverns might also be a good possibility if zigadabuzz has an inside track to the facilities.

Or would it be better to hold an ordinary picnic event similar to last year?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=37021

I am very interested to hear some opinions on this subject...

Johnny

I intend to make every effort to make it to the Jennings Wing-Ding (GCG9P5). I don't have anything planned for that weekend.

The nice thing about creating a "club" is that we get to define just how that club is set up and how mu ch goes into it.

For example, I am a member of the Klingon Assault Group, an international Star Trek fan club. We have no dues and only 5 rules. That's it. No bylaws. Minimal bureaucracy. Sure, there are occasional political difficulties, schisms and infighting but there are also thousands of members worldwide.

A SWPA Geocachers Organization would have a very small number of members. It wouldn't need bylaws, maybe just create a Yahoogroup and a few guidelines.

Oh, and we will definately need an icon or cool banner. In fact, that's probably more important than anything else. B-)

89355_500.gif

Johnny,

I am all for the idea of a fall camping event that included an organized tour of selected high-difficulty caches. Picnics are fun but we've done them before. What sticks in my mind as truly memorable geocaching experiences is getting together with a bunch of veterans like yourself and plowing through a bunch of 3 and 4 rated caches, just for the challenge.

I think that an event of this type would draw well for several reasons:

• Citycachers who are reluctant to try the more remote caches might feel more comfortable if they had a tour guide for the first time. (Trust me, folks... you CAN get there, find the cache and get back out.)
  • People from outside our area might travel over to attend the event.
  • The fall colors are spectacular in the Laurel Highlands. You'd get great geocaches while soaking in great scenery.
I do NOT want to see something like the "cache machines" done in the Pacific Northwest, where the goal is to hit 50 or more caches in a day. While this would be a pre-planned route, the idea is to hit 8 or 10 unforgettable caches. Who wants to suggest some caches for a possible route? Heck, I would RETURN to some of the caches I've done over in Quest Master country.

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

I'd like to go to an event myself. One in the Laurel Highlands sounds interesting! I'd like to go to the one on August 16th, but I think my parents will be in town that weekend. If they aren't though, I will definitely be there.

I have a web page that I set up to keep in touch with old high school buddies, but have been considering changing it to a geocaching website because it doesn't get much traffic. I'd be happy to set it up as a SWPA geocaching site instead if anyone is interested (assuming it doesn't get a serious surge in traffic soon) the link is Green Toad dot Org I was also considering changing my gc.com alias to Green Toad.

-Technology...I have no idea what I would do without my GPSr, my TiVo, or my Computer with a DSL connection. I guess I would spend more time with my wife! icon_smile.gif

Oh no, a QuestMaster planned event... now that would be something...

Would have liked to make the Moraine event, but you guys had to go and schedule it for the same day that we NEOGeos are having an event in Chardon, Ohio (which I'm responsible for developing some of the caching events for).

But I'd definately be interested in other SWPA events...

And for the record, NEOGeo is currently just a Yahoo! group and we try and get together and have some sort of caching event each month... although our own website (www.neogeocachers.com I believe) will be coming online soon... we don't want to get involved in bylaws and all that... we'd rather be caching...

TTFN, Cache well, and see you around the bend.

Cache well, and see ya round the bend...

I wholly agree with Lep that we don't really need or want an organization but I have recently run into a situation where it might be beneficial to start something just a little more formal than what we have. I was checking into the possibility of getting a reservation for group sites at a state park when I learned of the following requirement:

Eligible Groups: An organized group has a formal organization to coordinate and carry out its activities, appointed or elected leadership and holds periodic meetings.

I think that we can probably come up with something along the lines of what Kordite has suggested (open membership, few rules, no dues, minimal bureaucracy) and start up an informal group that would meet these requirements.

I propose that we should have our first offical meeting in conjuction with the upcoming event at Jennings. We will need to come up with a name, a yahoo group or website, ideas for an offical logo, etc. I think it will work if we keep it free and fun. Hopefully it will end up being more like a disorganization than an organization.

Johnny

I would like to hear some ideas, suggestions, opinions, etc. for a SW PA Geocachers organization (or disorganization) especially from those that will not be able to attend the Jennings event. We're going to need a name, a cool logo, and (?). You'll be pretty much stuck with what the rest of us come up with if you don't speak up soon.

Johnny

Well, as for a formal SWPA group, I can see the benefits and disadvantages...

The major disadvantage is that you get people that are really excited and offer to do a bunch of things... then they are never heard from again.

The major advantage is being able to track the people that are in our region. If we did something as little as setup a mailing list so we could tell people of impromptu caching events that would be a start.

Setting up a ewbsite dedicated to SWPA would certainly be an option. We could isolate our discussions for SWPA specific things there. However, this seems to be a duplication of effort since these functions are already here for us on GC.com.

If anything comes of this I'd be more than glad to help out as I'm a web & graphic designer by day. I've got an in with a hosting company as well if we need webhosting space.

The veterans of our area should be the ones making these decisions however...

::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::=::+::

Searching through the cave. Team VaxCave.

87743_200.jpg

First off, I've been trying for awhile to come up with a snappy acronym for a regional caching group. Something that doesn't say "Pittsburgh" because our area covers more than that. Something that captures the goal of just having fun. A good example is C.A.C.H.E., the Colorado Association of Cache Hunting Enthusiasts.

My idea for a name is "Three Rivers Informal Geocaching Organization" or TRI-GO. The acronym is easy to say, it rhymes with MiGO and NYGO, and it conveys the idea that you should GO TRY geocaching.

Second, to Team VaxCave, here is a news flash, with 70 caches found and 8 hidden, you aren't newbies anymore. And even if you were, everyone's opinion ought to be taken into account. I would welcome help from web and graphics experts like you and Tonsil. We are a diverse group of people with different skills that should all be put to good use.

quote:
My idea for a name is "Three Rivers Informal Geocaching Organization" or TRI-GO. The acronym is easy to say, it rhymes with MiGO and NYGO, and it conveys the idea that you should GO TRY geocaching.

I like it. One: the informal stuff makes it clear at the outset that there aren't going be rules, bylaws, committees or working groups.

Two: The TRI-part connection to the three rivers of Pittsburgh could also refer to the so-called tri-state area of PA, OH and WV.

Three. . . When I see MiGO, I think Mi-Go,as in Lovecraft's Fungi from Yuggoth, which is pronounced "mee-goe", like Kim Possible's nemesis Shego. I'm not proposing that we pronounce it "tree-goe" but I thought I should point that out.

89355_500.gif

[This message was edited by Kordite on August 18, 2003 at 06:22 AM.]

So what was discussed about forming an informal geocaching group? Were there any decisions made? Is there anything that should be discussed here?

Hope everyone had fun at the Wing Ding, wish I could have made it, but my parents arrived early and I was unable to make it up.

-stroh

-Technology...I have no idea what I would do without my GPSr, my TiVo, or my Computer with a DSL connection. I guess I would spend more time with my wife! icon_smile.gif

I didn't notice anything about the informal group actually being discussed at the Wing-Ding. It would be nothing to setup a Yahoo Group to manage a simple mailing list. I can't do it from work but I could set one up when I get home if people want that.

I can't see that we need much more than that.

Well, we'll want a cool logo.

89355_500.gif

I am working on setting something up based on the input in this thread and ideas discussed informally at Jennings. It will be a Yahoo group for the time being and Lep's idea for calling it TRIGO or something to that effect is the best idea for a name that I have heard so far. Everybody has basically agreed that we want to keep it informal, free, and fun. We are going to try to avoid such things as elections, a treasury, or any rules that might cause hate and discontent. Membership will be free and open to any interested person. The first piece of business will be come up with a cool logo for our club. We'll need it for the letterhead required by some bureaucracies to reserve pavillions and stuff. It would also be nice to have a banner or sign for our events. I am hoping that there are some talented graphic designers in our ranks. I hope to get this started soon but please be patient as I am a little bit busy right at the moment.

Johnny

If we adopt TRI-GO as our name, then the logo might incorporate a triangle in the design or, even better, a graphic that suggests the three rivers, with two lines coming in at angles from the right to form a third line that bisects the left side of the logo.

Then you can put different things in each third of the logo design, and they could be different colors like black and gold and white. I would put TRI-GO in one section, something GPS or satellite related in the second section, and a monkey from the Monkey Cache in the third section. Oh wait, Johnny will veto that last part. How about a stylized graphic representation of the Mighty Colt? Or a hamster?

quote:
Originally posted by Team VaxCave:

things to include in a logo, suggestions?

Well, TRIGO or TRI-GO could stand for Three Rivers Informal Geocaching Organization, Three RIvers Geocaching Organization, TRI-state geocaching Organization, Three RIvers GeOcaching, or some variation of the above. It might also be the name of our virtual president or the name of our offical mascot. The official name for this club may ultimately be decided by whoever comes up with the coolest logo design. It's a blank slate at this point and this is just my two cents. I, for one, can't wait to see what we end up with. Let's hear some more ideas!

Johnny

Well,

I set up a Yahoo group for TRI-GO. I wanted TRIGO but it was taken.

Here's the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tri-go

I probably should not have been the one to set this up since I have no clue what is going on. I have never set one of these groups up or even belonged to one before.

I NEED HELP! If anyone has any input on what we need to do to make this thing useful please step forward. I'll be happy to dole out moderator/owner privileges to anyone who can help.

I think that we should probably wait until we get this thing up and running smoothly before we can begin a membership drive by contacting geocachers who do not frequent the formums. In the meantime, however, charter memberships are now available to anyone who wants to join and see the nothing that is in this website.

Johnny