Measure distance between caches

willingheart

Many ways to tell how far it is. You could use a ruler or measuring take.

But the esier way would be to load the caches in your GPS, or use the phone app and go where you want to place the cache. Look for the nearest and see how far it is.

Now remember that a basic member won't be able to see premium only caches, and nobody can see stages for puzzle or multi caches. Plus there could be a submitted cache that hasn't been published yet. So there's more than just what you can see.

I want to place a cache, and there is another one nearby. I want to place it near a library, and the other one is in a park that is just behind the library. How do I tell how many feet apart they are, and how exact do I have to be for the 528' rule?

There isn't much flexibility in the 528' guideline.

Do you have the coordinates for your desired cache location? If you do, then you get a basic check of saturation issues:

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

1.12. Understanding the Geocache Planning Map

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=464

The Planning Map

http://www.geocaching.com/hide/planning.aspx

1.13. Saturation Guideline: Hidden, Virtual and Additional Waypoints

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=232

B.

A quick and dirty solution if you don't want to run through the Planning Maps on the site:

Coordinate Distance Calculator

Not to sound like a broken record here, but the Saturation portion of the Guidelines is pretty strict nowadays. If you really like the spot, it's probably best to Watchlist the nearby cache, and when/if it eventually gets Archived, you could submit your own Listing.

I want to place a cache, and there is another one nearby. I want to place it near a library, and the other one is in a park that is just behind the library. How do I tell how many feet apart they are, and how exact do I have to be for the 528' rule?

You might want to find the "?" cache first and find out where its final coordinates are located.

Then it will be easy to determine a 528' distance/circle.

it's not the published coords of a puzzle cache that is the important issue. You need to determine the coordinates of the final to know just where the saturation limit comes into play.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=232

1.13. Saturation Guideline: Hidden, Virtual and Additional Waypoints

A fundamental guideline of geocaching is that physical elements/stages of a geocache should be at least 0.1 miles (528ft or 161m) from the physical elements/stages of any other geocache. Below is a longer explanation of that guideline.

Other Considerations

1. Some geocaches have false coordinates (or reference coordinates) posted at the top of the geocache page. A new geocache can be placed near these coordinates, as nothing physical has been placed there by the cache owner.

A new geocache cannot be placed near the actual location of the physical elements/stages. You will have to find these geocaches to know where their physical elements/stages are.

2. Some geocaches have virtual stages, which are typically places where a geocacher gathers information, but no physical element/stage has been placed. Usually a new physical geocache can be placed near these virtual stages.

3. Some geocaches have physical stages, which are places where the cache owner has placed a container or other item. A new geocache cannot be placed within 0.1 miles (528ft or 161m).

4. A multi-cache can have stages 100 feet apart, or 100 miles apart. The distance between stages of a single geocache is limited only by the owner's ability to maintain those stages.

5. For additional help identifying proximity issues with hidden stages of nearby geocaches, follow step 3 on the related page linked below (Checking for Geocache Saturation).

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I know it's been a while (6 years) since there has been any activity on this inquiry, but I have an answer that doesn't appear to have been mentioned. I'm presently attempting to place a new cache near other caches. I saw that in the Geocaching App, the only choices of distance measurement was statute and metric and not feet. As a test I found a Cache that was .1-.2 miles away from my location. In the App, I clicked on the Cache that I wanted to measure from and looked at the App page on my Android. It showed .2 miles and as a I walked closer it changed to .1 miles, AND as I got closer, the .1 miles changed to 527' and got smaller as I got closer. SO, I will be using that method as long as I can get a good GPS position on my Android! AND, if my new location shows .1 miles or greater, I'm good. Also take the distance error into account.

• Funny 1